Author Topic: Why I travel on Shabbat  (Read 9693 times)

Offline travelplus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Why I travel on Shabbat
« on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:38 AM »
I understand that a lot of people here on the forum are more observant than me and I can appreciate it.  I come from a Sephardic background and as Shabbat travel is Rabinical my upbringing has been not to ask a Rabbi but to do what I feel brngs me joy and being a proud Jew and know our traditions.

I decide to travel on Shabbat even to and from Israel for the following reasons:

1 The car service is operated and driven by a non Jew and we are saving our carbon imprint by not driving.

2. The car service has been prepaid and the app is hosted on a web server and to tip and rate the driver gives him Parnasa.

3. San Jose CA airport is owned by the city as is LAX and SFO the workers for the most part are not Jewish.

4. Alaska and United have non Jewish piolots and staff flying and working on the plane.

5. My ticket was prepaid and checkin for both flights were done before Shabbat.

6. Kosher snacks and beverages are served.

7. The lounges are operated by non Jews and have Kosher food items and drinke.

8. The flight to TLV flies at 9:40 PM going just after Shabbat. On the return its on Shabbat.

9. Ben Gurion Airport employs non Jews on Shabbat.

10. I will say Shabbat Prayers on Friday night in both CA and Israel.

11. I am traveling to Israel and in my tradition that is a major Mitzvah and in my personal Jewish following adds to the enjoyment  of Shabat.

12. I requested the Kosher meal and its heated by a non Jew flight attendant.

13. My tradition allows me to clear customs and leave the airport for any flight delay and ride in a car home under Pikuah Nefesh as Shabbat at home is safer and a hot meal is better with family.

Anyone else here folow my approach? I look forward y
to a productive discussion  . I am proud to be Jewish and love our traditions  I celebrate the  major holidays and family simchas

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: Why I travel on Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:49:10 AM »
open a new account and try again
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 02:57:37 AM »

to a productive discussion

First of all, this discussion very obviously belongs in JS.
As for your argument, I'm assuming you know this won't turn into a very productive discussion.
Nobody is here to judge you, or to tell you how religious you should be (because I'm sure it won't make much of a difference anyway). But as far as all the arguments you mentioned, I'm sure you're aware (at least I hope) that it's all nonsense. Thanks for explaining to G-D why it's really ok to fly on Saturday. Now he knows. C'mon...
Again, if you want to fly Shabbos, that's your decision. But not even one of the above reasons is any justification for doing so.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 03:25:51 AM »
I am  not religious but order the KSML for its safety and its better quality over the regular meals. .
do you order KSMLs on shabbat?

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:45:03 AM »
I’ll go out in a limb here and guess that this is @Definitions

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:55:55 AM »
The punnishment is flogging for each rabbinic infraction. - at minimum.

Suit yourself.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »
I’ll go out in a limb here and guess that this is @Definitions
Not the style.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:57 AM »
You say you follow tradition, but I have yet to see a KSML with chulent

Offline jordan21

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »
Cute post
Unreasonable is not ok. Picky you're entitled to be.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »

First of all, this discussion very obviously belongs in JS.
As for your argument, I'm assuming you know this won't turn into a very productive discussion.
Nobody is here to judge you, or to tell you how religious you should be (because I'm sure it won't make much of a difference anyway). But as far as all the arguments you mentioned, I'm sure you're aware (at least I hope) that it's all nonsense. Thanks for explaining to G-D why it's really ok to fly on Saturday. Now he knows. C'mon...
Again, if you want to fly Shabbos, that's your decision. But not even one of the above reasons is any justification for doing so.
+1
Some of those reasons make it even worse.
You are wrong about non Jewish workers in TLV, so even according to your "standards" it's not ok.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:28:29 AM »

1 The car service is operated and driven by a non Jew and we are saving our carbon imprint by not driving.

2. The car service has been prepaid and the app is hosted on a web server and to tip and rate the driver gives him Parnasa.

11. I am traveling to Israel and in my tradition that is a major Mitzvah and in my personal Jewish following adds to the enjoyment  of Shabat.

13. My tradition allows me to clear customs and leave the airport for any flight delay and ride in a car home under Pikuah Nefesh as Shabbat at home is safer and a hot meal is better with family.

to a productive discussion  . I am proud to be Jewish and love our traditions[/b]  I celebrate the  major holidays and family simchas
the first reason is by far the best reason to not keep shabbos . i mean whats the point of keeping shabbos if youre leaving a carbon foot print(as a side point staying home  and not traveling leaves even less of a carbon foot print)
i also love the fact that youre helping an uber drivers parnassa.. u should go into a mcdonalds dor the same reason to give the server a tip!
it may also add to your shabbos enjoyment which seems to be pretty important to you as well.
and finally when you say that traditions are important to you do you mean the ones that come from moshe on har sinai , or the ones that were started by the people that were intentionally being nontraditional?
Im proud that youre jewish too!
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
I understand that a lot of people here on the forum are more observant than me and I can appreciate it.  I come from a Sephardic background and as Shabbat travel is Rabinical my upbringing has been not to ask a Rabbi but to do what I feel brngs me joy and being a proud Jew and know our traditions.

I decide to travel on Shabbat even to and from Israel for the following reasons:

3. San Jose CA airport is owned by the city as is LAX and SFO the workers for the most part are not Jewish.

4. Alaska and United have non Jewish piolots and staff flying and working on the plane.

5. My ticket was prepaid and checkin for both flights were done before Shabbat.

6. Kosher snacks and beverages are served.

7. The lounges are operated by non Jews and have Kosher food items and drinke.

8. The flight to TLV flies at 9:40 PM going just after Shabbat. On the return its on Shabbat.

9. Ben Gurion Airport employs non Jews on Shabbat.

10. I will say Shabbat Prayers on Friday night in both CA and Israel.

12. I requested the Kosher meal and its heated by a non Jew flight attendant.

to a productive discussion  . I am proud to be Jewish and love our traditions  I celebrate the  major holidays and family simchas
Let’s hope that you’re a troll, but if you’re not:
I could reply to each reason and tell you why you are wrong but we both know this would be a waste of time. I’ll just tell you that having grown up as the only religious family in a community (abt 70% sefaradi, 30% ashkenaz) taught me one thing. It is that it’s “okay” to not be observant  as long as you recognize that there are laws and that you are just not interested in them or it is too hard for you to follow them. The moment that you start justifying your actions and saying that you’re doing it the right way is when everything starts going downhill. So while you may be very proud being Jewish, the odds of your children marrying Jewish are small, and the odds of all your grandchildren being Jewish are non-existent considering your view on religion. I’ve seen people with your reasoning again and again and I can show you the results, there are even Muslims in some of the families now.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »
No matter what your religion is there is always different observant levels. The holier than thou types are going to mock you six ways to Sunday. Stick to yours guns as these individuals don't matter!!!
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
Reminds me of the Rabbi in chelm that didn't want to walk on the snow, so he had 2 people carry him.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:12 AM »
I am proud to be Jewish and love our traditions  I celebrate the  major holidays and family simchas
If you are proud to be Jewish and love our traditions, then try to keep Shabbos and major/minor holidays according to halacha. Many people went down on the road you are, came to a crossroad and if they took the turn that you are justifying their children and/or grandchildren became non-Jewish. You will not be able to transmit your Jewish pride and love without learning and practicing Jewish tradition as it was practiced for thousands of years by your ancestors.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »
No matter what your religion is there is always different observant levels. The holier than thou types are going to mock you six ways to Sunday. Stick to yours guns as these individuals don't matter!!!
I believe @ChaimMoskowitz  wasn’t necessarily approving of your level of Shabbat obvservance don’t be confused there..you won’t find him on a flight with you on Shabbat anytime soon.
Also I like how he considered Shabbat observers as ‘holier than thou’.. it’s more like ‘more religious than thou’.
But yes there are always different observant levels .
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »
This isn't Christianity.
As @mileagejunkie said, you can go do what you want, but don't call that the proper Jewish way. Don't do the wrong thing and tell yourself it's right. Comparable to legal laws, the biggest crooks are always the ones who start off with small thing and brush them off as OK for whatever reason they decide.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
I believe @ChaimMoskowitz  wasn’t necessarily approving of your level of Shabbat obvservance don’t be confused there..you won’t find him on a flight with you on Shabbat anytime soon.
Also I like how he considered Shabbat observers as ‘holier than thou’.. it’s more like ‘more religious than thou’.
I wasn't approving of anything. Is their anyone here that follows their religion 100%? Maybe spend your time on that instead on others observance.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
This isn't Christianity.
As @mileagejunkie said, you can go do what you want, but don't call that the proper Jewish way. Don't do the wrong thing and tell yourself it's right. Comparable to legal laws, the biggest crooks are always the ones who start off with small thing and brush them off as OK for whatever reason they decide.
I guess this is one of those conservative "tolerant" views?

Offline Ygold

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »

ChaimMoskowitz is actually non Jewish and is catholic, so I don't think think he'll have a problem with flying on Shabbos.
Shout out to Meshugener!