Author Topic: EU Romania passport  (Read 960 times)

Offline samzyr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
EU Romania passport
« on: July 13, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
If I’m an American citizen born in USA. My parents where born in Romania can I get a EU passport? What’s the downsides

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: EU Romania passport
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
If I’m an American citizen born in USA. My parents where born in Romania can I get a EU passport? What’s the downsides
downside is that your protection as a US citizen disappears when you are visiting the country you are a citizen of.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
Thats a pretty small downside

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:38:33 PM »
Can anyone confirm that there are no tax issues if I would hold a Romanian passport?
Also, has anyone gone through with this process successfully? Any tips?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 10:44:34 PM »

Are you saying you can get a Romanian passport, or asking if you can? If the latter I don’t know the answer.

I know that Hungary has some laws for citizenship for those with Hungarian heritage, but it varies by which parent had citizenship (mother or father and/or whether they were born before or after 1957. If it’s a grandparent then even if you can prove it you’d have to learn Hungarian, which is not an easy language to learn.

There was also some discussion on DDF recently about German and Austrian citizenship for descendants of victims of nazi persecution.

It’s possible Romania has something similar, but I’m not sure. If you do find out anything conclusive please post back with more info.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 10:45:53 PM »
Are you saying you can get a Romanian passport, or asking if you can? If the latter I don’t know the answer.

I know that Hungary has some laws for citizenship for those with Hungarian heritage, but it varies by which parent had citizenship (mother or father and/or whether they were born before or after 1957. If it’s a grandparent then even if you can prove it you’d have to learn Hungarian, which is not an easy language to learn.

There was also some discussion on DDF recently about German and Austrian citizenship for descendants of victims of nazi persecution.

It’s possible Romania has something similar, but I’m not sure. If you do find out anything conclusive please post back with more info.

From my research Romania is easier than hungary because it doesn't have the language requirements.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
Also another q: if I do go through the process and get a Romanian passport from a grandparent who was born there, are my wife and kids eligible?