Author Topic: Home Wi-Fi Mesh.  (Read 14041 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Home Wi-Fi Mesh.
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
The main router is getting close to 800+. Via wifi, the laptop near the main router is getting 200-300 which is great but the satellites are only getting 50-60 max and they are not placed that far from each other.

How far are the satellites from the main router? Are your devices connecting via 2 or 5ghz?

Btw, the biggest issue I have with the Orbi is it often chooses 2ghz when 5ghz would give me faster speeds. And it is a challenge to override what Orbi selects.

Offline emineh17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
How far are the satellites from the main router? Are your devices connecting via 2 or 5ghz?

Btw, the biggest issue I have with the Orbi is it often chooses 2ghz when 5ghz would give me faster speeds. And it is a challenge to override what Orbi selects.
One on the first floor is about 40-50 feet away and then I have another on the second floor which is a bit farther away.
Can I choose on the google mesh if i want to connect via 2 or 5?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
All my units that are capable of 5ghz are connected at 5ghz. I think you need the RBK50.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »
All my units that are capable of 5ghz are connected at 5ghz. I think you need the RBK50.  :)

Nah, it's a software issue, not a hardware issue, and its a common complaint of all orbi systems.

Most of the time, it gets it right. When it doesn't, often restarting does the trick (it probably was too far away for 5ghz and when I came closer didn't switch). But occasionally it doesnt. You can create a separate SSID for 5ghz using a command line prompt, but I had issues doing so.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »
One on the first floor is about 40-50 feet away and then I have another on the second floor which is a bit farther away.
Can I choose on the google mesh if i want to connect via 2 or 5?

Dont think most of the mesh systems, including orbi or google, let you choose.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Nah, it's a software issue, not a hardware issue, and its a common complaint of all orbi systems.

Most of the time, it gets it right. When it doesn't, often restarting does the trick (it probably was too far away for 5ghz and when I came closer didn't switch). But occasionally it doesnt. You can create a separate SSID for 5ghz using a command line prompt, but I had issues doing so.
It is most likely a range issue. The RBK50 has better range.
I have phone, laptop, tablet, fire stick and printer currently connected. There are 14 devices in all. The only one connected at 2.4 is the printer. It is not capable to connect at 5.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:29:16 PM by ChaimMoskowitz »

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
It is most likely a range issue. The RBK50 has better range.
I have phone, laptop, tablet, fire stick and printer currently connected. There are 14 devices in all. The only one connected at 2.4 is the printer. It is not capable to connect at 5.

If it were far from my router I'd agree with you. But I have been a few feet away with no walls separating. And the issue has been reported on the RBK50 as well. Here are some recent reviews from amazon (many more exist).

Update 30 Nov 2018. I have an issue with the Orbi in that it is not easy to connect some 2.4GHz devices. Because of this I'm deducting a star even though the wifi service in my house is great. Thedevice I had issues with required me to connect with my cell phone on 2.4GHz. Orbi only has 1 ssid for both 2.4 and 5GHz so turning the 5GHz off would also turn off the 2.4GHz. There appear to be tech ways to add another ssid and also to turn off the 5GHz. This is all good and well but they didn't seem to work for me. Perhaps Netgear has eliminated these workarounds. I finally disconnected both satellites and took the device and my phone far enough away from the base to force my phone to 2.4GHz. After a couple of tries the device connected and works well now. It would be highly beneficial if Orbi/Netgear would provide the ability to turn off, even temporarily, a network. I realize they are trying to make this system idiot proof, but now it's almost too simple and makes what could be easy tasks into complex endeavors.

Unfortunately, in their wisdom a new firmware was pushed to my gear. This wiped out the SSID configured for 5ghz network and I am no longer able to isolate networks to hold devices on 2.4 or 5ghz networks! Devices can and do float between either network and performance sucks, picture quality on streaming content sucks. Some of our home gear requires 2.4 while entertainment gear can use 5ghz.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
And to repeat: It's not a common occurrence for me, but if I'm near the router and get only 100mbps, it's probably because I'm on a 2ghz channel.

The only time it was a real issue was with my desktop, which is not hard wired yet. I bought a new AC card for it and it kept defaulting to 2ghz. I disabled 2ghz from the computer, and now it works fine.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2018, 01:46:24 PM »
If it were far from my router I'd agree with you. But I have been a few feet away with no walls separating. And the issue has been reported on the RBK50 as well. Here are some recent reviews from amazon (many more exist).
You will always have reviews that are not good. When 80%+ are top notch you have to wonder if it is operator error. The fact is the RBK50 is a lot better unit than the Orbi model you have. Also in you ever need to power off/on the Orbi you should also power off/on all your devices after the Orbi and satellites are online.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
You will always have reviews that are not good. When 80%+ are top notch you have to wonder if it is operator error. The fact is the RBK50 is a lot better unit than the Orbi model you have. Also in you ever need to power off/on the Orbi you should also power off/on all your devices after the Orbi and satellites are online.
All of the top mesh systems have similar amazon ratings. And I’m not saying it is a bad system - just that it has a flaw that may impact people. The issue also has been mentioned in several professional reviews.

And again - there’s no difference between 5x and 2x here. And you seem to think there’s no comparison between 2 x50s and 3 x 23s. I doubt most users will see much of a difference other than size. Are you using more than 866mbps? How much better range do you get w 4x4 antenna? Do you need more than 2 gigabit ports? Other than that, are there any other major differences?

In a year or two , I’m sure the differences will be more pronounced. But by then both systems will be obsolete.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »
Anyone have any more updated recommendations? I need to purchase a mesh system for a space approximately 2500sqf but there is a solid concrete wall down the middle. All I really need is range extension but it seems this is just out of reach of most range extenders given the specifics. I prefer something sold by Dell (BP credits ;D ) and under $300 but I'm open. Any feedback is appreciated. TIA!
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
idk about a concrete wall but someone I know had very good results with the ORBI system.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
I bought the same one as the OP (RBK50). I love it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
Anyone have any more updated recommendations? I need to purchase a mesh system for a space approximately 2500sqf but there is a solid concrete wall down the middle. All I really need is range extension but it seems this is just out of reach of most range extenders given the specifics. I prefer something sold by Dell (BP credits ;D ) and under $300 but I'm open. Any feedback is appreciated. TIA!
I use this one.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-deco-m9-plus-ac2200-smart-home-mesh-wifi-system-3-pack/6450788.p?skuId=6450788

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
Thanks! My little bit of googleing before posting, came to the same conclusions as you guys posted, so I think that confirms it. Thank you!
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2021, 11:11:33 PM »
I bought the same one as the OP (RBK50). I love it.
How original!
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline isrealsuits

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »
Is the rbk752 better than the rbk50?

Offline Eli911

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
Another option to look at is the Asus AiMesh system. There are a large number of supported routers, even ones that are 10 years old, which you can add as nodes. Wireless and hardwire backhauls are supported and you mix and match different routers to build out the best/cost effective configuration for your house. For example, if you need just a bit more coverage, you can buy a used RT-AC68U router for ~$50 and just added it to the mesh network. Even on a router that old, I get ~300 Mbit/s, which for me is more than acceptable.

https://www.asus.com/microsite/aimesh/en/index.html

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2021, 12:48:12 AM »
Is the rbk752 better than the rbk50?
Yes
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half