Yaalili: 1
tmendy226: 1
a good yeshiva bachur: 1
crony: 1
Zevi16: 1
ruv: 2
mendyt: 1
EJB:

https://www.dansdeals.com/advertisement/enter-win-twin-cabin-aboard-journey-lifetime-antarctica-5000-cash-private-consult-supporting-chabad-cleveland/

https://www.chabadofcleveland.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/4096324/jewish/Antarctica-Cruise-Raffle.htm

Add your name if you will purchase a $100 raffle ticket for the Antarctica trip.

If you will buy more than 1 write it next to your user name:

1 - CM
2 - yossig
3 - JoeyShmoe
4 - Yitzyul 
5 - Wizmanison (2)
6 - Bentzy
7-  mendyt
8-  jes
9- nafnaf12
10- lubaby (2)
12-abey
13- Z56
14 - crony
15 - stever (2)
« Last edited by EJB on August 16, 2018, 02:37:35 AM »

Poll

Which amount and format would you buy in at? (vote for one of each)

50%+ to Charity
11 (8.7%)
10-15% to Charity
3 (2.4%)
Any amount to Charity
18 (14.3%)
I don't care if my money goes to charity
19 (15.1%)
Variable ticket prices $1-$360 chosen at random
11 (8.7%)
I wouldn't buy in at more than $150-$180
10 (7.9%)
I wouldn't buy in at more than $100-$150
15 (11.9%)
$100 is my max
39 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Antarctica Cruise Raffle  (Read 106989 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Now Live! Antarctica Cruise Raffle
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
I will watch this after Shabbat but will this answer the question of if its ok to be offering Halachic advise and making assumptions that this is like any Chinese auction and by virtue ok to use Massr?
So you quote him saying "speak to your LOR" yet you're complaining that he's giving halachik advice??

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
I will watch this after Shabbat but will this answer the question of if its ok to be offering Halachic advise and making assumptions that this is like any Chinese auction and by virtue ok to use Massr?

Alot of times the prizes are donated in-kind.

Dan please don't take offense but if by that token one could use Masser without knowing how much is going to the charity then we can all create loopholes, make a blind trust whereof our 10 percent all goes back to us with a small amount going to a charity.

Just like a tx receipt for a dinner that is $360 may say $300 (subtracting the dinner) so to one (I would assume) needs to subtract the cost ... obviously when you donat there is overhead and for a food bank half of your donation can go to salaried employees but when it is something your experiencing for your benefit and not admin costs etc. ( a dinner, contest ect. you should have to subtract).

If your going to be implying that you could use Maser please reveal how much is going to the org.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

Good Shabbat.

This is so ridiculous on so many levels.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #383 on: August 10, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »

Dan please don't take offense but if by that token one could use Masser without knowing how much is going to the charity then we can all create loopholes, make a blind trust whereof our 10 percent all goes back to us with a small amount going to a charity.

Just like a tx receipt for a dinner that is $360 may say $300 (subtracting the dinner) so to one (I would assume) needs to subtract the cost ... obviously when you donat there is overhead and for a food bank half of your donation can go to salaried employees but when it is something your experiencing for your benefit and not admin costs etc. ( a dinner, contest ect. you should have to subtract).

If your going to be implying that you could use Maser please reveal how much is going to the org.

Good Shabbat.

Good grief, talk about making assumptions. Watch the video, it isn't the holy grail, it's a different perspective on charity fundraising.

And as for what you do with halacha like everyone said above it's like anything else, talk to your rav.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 10, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
Watch the video, it isn't the holy grail, it's a different perspective on charity fundraising.
The guy is a great salesman.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
Ummm yes and I always ask. Also most Chinese auctions are donated and most fundraisers overhead is listed or is furnished upon request.

And Im happy to for my own accounting know that $20 of my $100 to the collector is his commission and most are honest about it. I also don't answer Tzedeka telemarketers as most take a massive cut so I go straight to the org.

If im required to give Masser and you also listed Maser can be used many people will assume its the full 100...if I buy a ticket for $100 and $5 goes to tzedaka, I would like to know that....nothing wrong with that but I need to be able to account my personal Masser and know that only $5 will count.

I once donated money to a poor family, and then I noticed them buying ices for the kids during a heatwave. I double checked the nutritional facts of the brand and saw that they ices were quite unhealthy, so naturally I never gave them another penny.

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »
I once donated money to a poor family, and then I noticed them buying ices for the kids during a heatwave. I double checked the nutritional facts of the brand and saw that they ices were quite unhealthy, so naturally I never gave them another penny.
If you care about what they do with the money, why not buy them some food instead?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
This should be split to 'about giving tzadaka thread', you're supposed to give tzadaka with a smile and heartfull without being nitty gritty on how much they need and how they spend. And may Hashem give all of us without deep inspection how we behave, and that's why before you kippur you throw in to all pans some coins to show that we give without a chesbon, it should be mailitz yosher we should get withou a chesbon.

Tzadaka is about helping those in need it's not an extension of liberalism I'll support you and tell you how to spend it. And the gemorah says "afilu lirchov al chamor" so keep it cool and give him another dollar to overcome your nesoyen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:28:10 PM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Tzadaka is about helping those in need it's not an extension of liberalism I'll support you and tell you how to spend it.
I bet P. T. Barnum would agree with you.  :)

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »

Good Shabbat.
1) Maaser is not Halacha.
2) My Rav listed me 3 Rabbinic perspectives (perhaps there are more) on whether you should subtract the cost of the dinner at a charity event from Maaser, and it is not as clear cut as you make it seem that you must subtract the cost.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2018, 12:34:31 AM »

Good Shabbat.
So if you win, just ask your LOR how much maaser you should give, as the dollar value of what you receive is greater than what you paid for it.

If you received nothing tangible in exchange, why wouldn't you consider it all maaser (or tzedoko)?

On another note, do you ever *thank* people for soliciting you for a donation? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you start doing it, it will make you feel better about giving, and might also be a form of tzedoko, in making the solicitor feel appreciated.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2018, 12:39:36 AM »
So if you win, just ask your LOR how much maaser you should give, as the dollar value of what you receive is greater than what you paid for it.

If you received nothing tangible in exchange, why wouldn't you consider it all maaser (or tzedoko)?

On another note, do you ever *thank* people for soliciting you for a donation? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you start doing it, it will make you feel better about giving, and might also be a form of tzedoko, in making the solicitor feel appreciated.

You're talking to someone who asks collectors how much of a cut they get, clearly not someone interested in making them feel dignified, let alone appreciated.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #392 on: August 12, 2018, 01:48:26 AM »
You're talking to someone who asks collectors how much of a cut they get, clearly not someone interested in making them feel dignified, let alone appreciated.
I am offering a paradigm shift that might make him feel better about himself.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 12, 2018, 08:54:05 AM »

If this is true, shouldn't this

Make your מעשר account $25k in the hole?

I thought the purpose of the raffle is to accommodate those who don't have $25k earmarked for a cruise.
Risk is opportunity

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »

If this is true, shouldn't this

Make your מעשר account $25k in the hole?

I thought the purpose of the raffle is to accommodate those who don't have $25k earmarked for a cruise.
It has always been my understanding that in such a situation you give the ticket amount again. As in if you win a raffle you deduct one ticket from what you used from maasir.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
This whole maaser discussion seems to be predicated on this raffle being in order to raise money for a tzedaka. Is that the case? Or is the raffle simply to be able to get a trip and we needed a place for the extra money to go to?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
Should I post a breakdown of which packages people bought and what states people are buying from as a ddms article or is that dumb?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
Only benefit would be to bring more attention to the raffle which isn't a bad thing.

Offline jmz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
Should I post a breakdown of which packages people bought and what states people are buying from as a ddms article or is that dumb?
will it include how many more need to be sold?   :D

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »

Go for it.