Topic Wiki

Warning! This wiki is not complete. Please read through the thread for more info.. Info Outdated. Check before you go!

Attractions
Franklin Institute
Please Touch Museum
National Constitution Center
US Mint
Adventure Aquarium (just across the river in Camden, NJ)
Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA (about 45 minutes south-west of the city)
Eastern State Penitentiary
National Museum of American Jewish History
Philadelphia Zoo
Independence Seaport Museum
Smith Playground
Philadelphia's Magic Gardens
One Liberty Observation Deck
Liberty Bell (plus a bunch of other historical sites nearby)
Independence Hall
Trolley tour bus

For discounts on admission, consider the Philadelphia Pass or the Philadelphia City Pass (if your visiting enough attractions), or buy the Entertainment book for the coupons. If you order it online, you should be able to print out all of the coupons you need immediately.

Hotels
The Ritz-Carlton located near City Center was originally a Bank and worth a visit.
Sheraton Society Hill is near the Liberty Bell area and the River. (probably the best place to stay for shabbos)
the Westin is by Rittenhouse Sq and City Center is North of City Hall area closer to Museum Row.
The Westin on 17th & Liberty. has some Old World charm to it
Sheraton City Center - was fine. clean, neat, pool and fitness but nothing special
Le Meridian across from city hall
Hyatt at the Bellevue on Walnut and Broad st.
Hyatt Penn's Landing
Homewood Suites City Avenue

Westin a plain hotel over the River in Mt Laurel , NJ
Aloft - Mt Laurel. (Aloft is  not your typical hotel. Very young crowd. Relaxed staff. Place is nice and new).

Restaurants

Center City:
Burger.org - 1901 Chesnut Street CLOSED
Mama's Vegetarian CLOSED
Center City Soft Pretzel Co. - unusual hours

University City:
Kosher Dining at the University of Pennsylvania - check hours/dates, only open during academic year

Lower Merion (20-25 min from center city, but up to 45 in traffic):
Shalom Pizzeria
Citron and Rose - more upscale. Make reservations in advance. Closed but recently reopened (as of May 17, 2017)
The Dairy - very nice dairy restaurant. CLOSED

Star of David Kosher grill- 942 Montgomery Ave, Narberth, PA 19072. Cheaper option for meat, Chinese, sushi
Nana's kitchen in the JCC-Address: 45 Haverford Rd, Wynnewood, PA 19096 Phone:(703) 586-3103- Call before, but usually open in the daytime with seating. Don't have to be a member to attend. Excellent dairy food options and very reasonably priced.

Northeast (35 min from downtown):
Holy Land Grill-permanently closed
Espresso Cafe

Cherry Grill in Cherry Hill, NJ is just across the Delaware River (via Ben Franklin Bridge.). Fairly classy ambience, better than decent food. 3/5 stars. Hechsher by the O-K and the Cherry K Vaad Hakashruth.

This is a pretty good list of the generally accepted kosher restaurants in Philly.
This is the website for the generally accepted community hechsher: http://www.keystone-k.info/

Shuls
Orthodox Jewish Philadelphia Directory
www.phillyshul.com (actually 2 shuls which they alternate between). Run by a very nice chabad rabbi.
Sephardi shul (www.mikvehisrael.org)
Mekor Habracha

Lower Merion (15 min drive from downtown):
Lower Merion Synagogue
Young Israel of the Main Line
Philadelphia Community Kollel - next door to Citron and Rose

Northeast (35 min drive from downtown):
Congregation Ahavas Torah

Bensalem (10 min drive from Sesame Place)
http://www.bensalemoutreach.org/

Eruv Maps
http://www.philly-direct.com/frum/eruv.html

Author Topic: Philadelphia Master Thread  (Read 189093 times)

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
^^^

Offline AShap21

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia Master Thread
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
Looking to spend Shabbos in Philly in early February to be near Philly airport for motzei Shabbos flight.  Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do about food?  flight is 9:15 and Shabbos is over about 6:15.  So figure I should be ok if I am within 25-30 minutes of the airport.

We are a family of 6. Would be interested if others have done this and/or recommendations.

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
Need a ride from Lakewood to Philadelphia next thursday. PHL actually.  Any leads?

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2015, 12:21:21 AM »
One way rentals

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »
One way rentals
Very expensive.  Especially in the summer.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
The Dairy is very solid. Best cheese fries I've ever had and Pizza is up there

Offline Lakewood750

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
Need a ride from Lakewood to PHL Airport today (7/12/2015 late in the afternoon.  Any leads?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »
Need a ride from Lakewood to PHL Airport today (7/12/2015 late in the afternoon.  Any leads?
Try posting here

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »
zow's Mini Trip Report: Philadelphia
July 2015

BOS-PHL on AA; revenue for me; Avios (4500) for DW
PHL-BOS on AA; revenue for me; Avios (4500) for DW

I recently had a work-related meeting in Philly, and given that most of the kids are away at camp, DW decided she wanted to come with me to make a little mini vacation out of it.  It was a whirlwind trip, only 24 hours, and I spent about 6 hours at my meeting, but it was fun.  Very high score on the fun-per-unit-time scale.

Our BOS-PHL flight was scheduled to depart around 8:45. We got to the airport early (7:30pm) via Uber from home. At that hour, security was a piece of cake. We went to the Admiral Lounge in Terminal B.  They were getting ready to close, but I always love the calm setting of an empty lounge! They had Food Should Taste Good chip bags (OU-Pareve), Heinz salsa packets (OU-Pareve) and individually wrapped Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal raisin cookies (each OU-D…and each acknowledging almost 300 calories per cookie!).

Our flight to PHL was uneventful.  We took Uber Black from airport to our hotel. I infer that PHL doesn’t (yet?) allow Uber X. It was $45 flat rate.  Easy peasy.

We stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, because that was the conference hotel.  I have the Chase Marriott credit card, which gets me silver elite status. And as my late grandfather, a’h, would have said: that and 50 cents will buy you a cup of coffee.  The guy at check in thanked me for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member and smiled when I handed him the black credit card, but no upgrades or anything special.  I don’t think I actually asked for anything.  I did subsequently call and request late checkout.  Check out time is noon. I asked for 4pm.  They gave me until 2pm, which was fair and generous, IMO.
The room itself was fine. Not much view, but plenty of space, and everything worked fine, and the bed was comfortable. No complaints.  We worked out in the fitness center, which was pretty nice. They also had an indoor pool, but we didn’t use.

I broke from my meeting to have lunch with my wife. We walked to Mama’s Vegetarian.  Maybe 15 minute walk. Delicious falafel.  I love that they give a falafel ball sample while you wait in line (might have to ask).  The place was packed…people streamed in and out constantly.  Nice mix of frum and non-frum (and not Jewish) clientele.  The ambiance is pretty bare bones, wooden chairs and wooden tables, suitable to a falafel joint.  Most people were getting take out, but eating in was fine.  Sorry, forgot to take pix. Key thing is that they are cash only. (Who carries cash?!)

After my meeting concluded in the afternoon, we took an Uber X to Citron and Rose.  We were hoping that it might be an opportunity for a DO, but alas, no one was available. :'(    Loved that place.  It’s pricey, for sure, but living in Boston, where we really don’t have any “nice” kosher restaurants, it’s always a treat to enjoy dinner out at a restaurant that could compete, from a culinary standpoint, with any non-kosher establishment.   We each had a glass of wine (DW had a glass of pinot noir and I had a Weinstock chardonnay, because I’m trying to avoid tannins to figure out if they are giving me dyspepsia, but that’s a story for another thread.)

We had three appetizers (and I remembered to take pictures!) and two main courses.

(I want to post 3 photos of the apps, but I can't figure out how to use the "insert image" icon/function...maybe someone could PM me with instructions? And they are too big for the attachments.)

Apps were the chicken wings, the pretzel and the tuna tartare.  Entrees were the lamb pasta in bolognaise sauce and the duck.  All were excellent. WE couldn’t finish everything, so we took a nice serving of lamb pasta home with us. Total tab was $116 plus tip.  We couldn’t do justice to dessert, and truth be told, nothing jumped out at us from the dessert menus.

However, we did make one stop on the way to the airport. We called Uber (of course), and asked the driver to detour via Krispy Kreme Donuts, where we picked up 3 dozen original.  Of course they are dairy, so we had to save them until the next day at home, but 8-10 seconds in the  microwave, and they are just like fresh out of the oven at the store.  We gave a half-dozen to our Uber driver, who seemed appreciative.

Once we got to PHL, we had about 45 minutes before boarding, so we went to the Admiral Lounge. Considerably bigger than Boston, and open later. I recall that PHL used to be a USAir hub, but I don’t think it still is. In any case, nice story there, as I didn’t want to use up one of my one-day passes (from my AAdvantage card sign up) for a 30-minute stay when we weren’t even going to be eating anything, so I asked the agent at the desk if we could get in based on the pass we used the night before (which was from my US Airways Dividend Miles CC sign up!).  Even though it was a little more than 24 hours past the time we first used it, he allowed us entry without using a new pass.  I appreciated that he was able to use judgment and flexibility, and I made it a point to send a note to his supervisor to acknowledge his excellent customer service.

The PHL Admiral Lounge had same chips as BOS.  The cookies were bulk, so don’t know kashrut.  And the salsa was not Heinz and did not have hechsher.  They did have a nice selection of herbal tea, which we appreciated.

And then it was back home. Although we wanted to take Uber from Logan, it would have been a 20 minute wait, so we just grabbed a taxi. That’s the second time in two tries that I have been unable to get Uber at Logan. I suspect others are having same experience – probably an effort by the taxi companies and the airport to keep Uber out.  It’s too bad for the consumer.
All in all, it was a whirlwind 24-hour trip, with two good meals, and a fun getaway with my DW (and, as an afterthought, a pretty good work meeting, too!)

Hope someone gets some benefit from this TR. I recognize it’s a lot more depth than we usually see for a short domestic trip, but maybe there’s some value in the restaurant and lounge info.  I’m using this as a warm-up writing exercise for our upcoming Europe-Israel trip, after Tisha B’Av.

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »
Loved that place.  It’s pricey, for sure, but living in Boston, where we really don’t have any “nice” kosher restaurants, it’s always a treat to enjoy dinner out at a restaurant that could compete, from a culinary standpoint, with any non-kosher establishment.   
It's still cheaper than NYC prices

I recall that PHL used to be a USAir hub, but I don’t think it still is.
It still is, and soon it will be an AA hub.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »

It still is, and soon it will be an AA hub.

I have some recollection of USAir(ways) having both PIT and PHL but dropping one as a hub.  So, is PIT no longer considered a hub for them?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
Something Fishy had a thread for help with pictures. But nice tr

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Something Fishy had a thread for help with pictures. But nice tr
Thanks. I checked. Seems like I need to host the photos myself on a different site, say Flickr, and link to them there. But my employer is Big Brother, and He doesn't allow access to such sites, so it will have to wait. (In fact, I could see great photos last night from Iceland and Gibralter, but today from work, they're absent.  Thank you for keeping my personal data safe, OPM.)

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Are you on tapatalk?

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
Are you on tapatalk?

I can be...great idea. I can upload from there.  I hope it's worth it to you to see these three appetizers!

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »

HT to lunatic. You can see the giant pretzel, the tuna tartare, and the chicken wings.

Offline lunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »
Looks good

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Have a several hour layover in PHL - looking to take a cab somewhere relatively close for milchig lunch.  Any suggestions?  TIA

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:29 AM »
Lakewood::)
^^^

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2015, 01:23:26 AM »
Have a several hour layover in PHL - looking to take a cab somewhere relatively close for milchig lunch.  Any suggestions?  TIA
The Dairy Cafe