Author Topic: Screwed by a CPA-Any advice?  (Read 7611 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Screwed by a CPA-Any advice?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »
Like other have said "Fire them".
Of course I won't ever be using them again.
If I ever need a CPA again, there are plenty of other options.
My question to Y'-all is: Do I have any options besides crying over spilled milk?
If you haven't already paid them you can withhold payment. I'm not coming to say whether or not you have a basis for doing so, it would be an option though.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: Screwed by a CPA-Any advice?
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
I work for a CPA, and there are a few things I want to add and one thing I want to ask.

1. If you come to an accountant in March as a new client, you're likely gonna go on extension and I wouldn't expect an in depth inspection of your tax situation unless you're willing to pay for it, which clearly you're not if you're paying $150 for your return.

2. My boss always mentions (often repeatedly) that IRA contributions need to be made by 4/15 (or in the case of this year 4/17). Now I'm not sure if that's because he thinks people don't know or because he wants to make sure you don't screw up and miss the contribution deadline, but I get the impression, from people I know outside the accounting world, that it's well know that IRA contributions need to be made by the April deadline, so it's entirely possible he assumed you knew. Maybe my boss is just diligent in that respect.

3. I definitely think you get what you pay for when it comes to accounting. Someone who's doing returns for $150 is not what I'd call a "full-service" accountant, and therefore I wouldn't necessarily expect them to mention that.

4. In terms of what your options are, I don't think withholding payment is appropriate because he did provide the service and the fact that that item either fell through the cracks or was missed, your return was still done. Maybe you should talk to the accountant and see if they'll adjust the fee. But I don't think outright stiffing the guy is right.

My question is, if you finished your taxes in May, why are you posting about this at the end of July?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »
I work for a CPA, and there are a few things I want to add and one thing I want to ask.

1. If you come to an accountant in March as a new client, you're likely gonna go on extension and I wouldn't expect an in depth inspection of your tax situation unless you're willing to pay for it, which clearly you're not if you're paying $150 for your return.

2. My boss always mentions (often repeatedly) that IRA contributions need to be made by 4/15 (or in the case of this year 4/17). Now I'm not sure if that's because he thinks people don't know or because he wants to make sure you don't screw up and miss the contribution deadline, but I get the impression, from people I know outside the accounting world, that it's well know that IRA contributions need to be made by the April deadline, so it's entirely possible he assumed you knew. Maybe my boss is just diligent in that respect.

3. I definitely think you get what you pay for when it comes to accounting. Someone who's doing returns for $150 is not what I'd call a "full-service" accountant, and therefore I wouldn't necessarily expect them to mention that.

4. In terms of what your options are, I don't think withholding payment is appropriate because he did provide the service and the fact that that item either fell through the cracks or was missed, your return was still done. Maybe you should talk to the accountant and see if they'll adjust the fee. But I don't think outright stiffing the guy is right.

My question is, if you finished your taxes in May, why are you posting about this at the end of July?
1) I didn't need any in depth inspection.
2) I wish I would've came to your boss
3) I never mentioned full-service. I only wanted a CPA to file my taxes.
4) Are you nuts? If you brought your car in for an oil change, and the guy accidentally ruined your engine, would you say "The service was still done"?????

As far as why I'm posting now, in May I spoke to the boss and my complaints fell on deaf ears. I'm not sure what took them so long, but they only called me last week to tell me my return is finally ready.
It boggles my mind that this is one of the more established Lakewood firms with a good reputation.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
definitely get what you pay for.

That rule is true everywhere, with one caveat: IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Very often you get less than you pay for. Don't ever expect to get more than you pay for.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
Don't ever expect to get more than you pay for.
I guess you need to hang out with a better group of people.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
4) Are you nuts? If you brought your car in for an oil change, and the guy accidentally ruined your engine, would you say "The service was still done"?????

As far as why I'm posting now, in May I spoke to the boss and my complaints fell on deaf ears. I'm not sure what took them so long, but they only called me last week to tell me my return is finally ready.
It boggles my mind that this is one of the more established Lakewood firms with a good reputation.
1) I would say discussion of an IRA is more in depth, but that's MHO.
2) If you're looking to pay $150 for your return, my boss is too expensive.
3) I'm not saying that you were looking for a full service, I was just saying you get what you pay for.
4) I don't think he ruined your return. He missed out on potential savings. If he had prepared the return assuming you made the contribution and you failed to make the contribution in time, that might be "ruining" your return, but this is not the same. It's not like he made an actual mistake on the return. I've seen that done, where someone puts a number in wrong, or sets something up incorrectly. Your return was filed, and presumably accepted by the IRS and NJ. There are tons of credits that not every accountant knows about or applies to every return. Missing out on an opportunity to save is not ruining your return. I understand that you hoped to take advantage of that credit, but the fact is that you paid him to prepare and file a tax return. If he prepared and filed an accurate tax return, he provided the service.

As for this being one of the "established Lakewood firms with a good reputation," I don't think what he did was clearly wrong or unprofessional, I think the situation is unfortunate, and mistakes happen to the best of us (and by us I don't mean accountants, I mean people in general). Obviously you don't feel comfortable going back to him, and you don't have to. I'm not saying that you should't tell this story because it might prevent someone else from making the same mistake. But just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean that this is a bad firm or deserves a bad reputation.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 04:33:22 PM »

You only wanted one to file your taxes yet are upset that they didn't do more than file taxes by advising you?

Beginning of March is quite late especially with pesach in the middle.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline henryr

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 01:09:41 AM »
In Lakewood, at Kanarek and Co, if you really need it to be done before the deadline, the will usually take you even in April. Definitely in March.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 07:48:29 AM »
Yes I'm not a student and my AGI was under $38,000. (Married filing jointly)
Had to be under 37001 for the %50 last year.

Also, what was your tax bill last year?