Author Topic: Jaffa Tel Aviv - Master Thread  (Read 8107 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Jaffa Tel Aviv - Master Thread
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
FT TR:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-starwood-ritz-carlton-new-consolidated-program/1455362-jaffa-tel-aviv-israel-opening-luxury-collection-instead-w-june-2018-a-3.html#post30216534

"This is a huge plus to those who don't keep kosher, since it means that all services are available on saturday. It may seem trivial. But try staying in a hotel limited room service on Friday night and Saturday and no fresh coffee or made to order dishes in breakfast and you'll agree it's a huge deal."

Maybe one day this will change...

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
Has anyone stayed here yet?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
Has anyone stayed here yet?
Have a booking but didn't read this thread and called the hotel. Indeed still very NOT KOSHER.
Worth staying and finding somewhere to eat breakfast in Yaffo or change to the David IC?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
Have a booking but didn't read this thread and called the hotel. Indeed still very NOT KOSHER.
Worth staying and finding somewhere to eat breakfast in Yaffo or change to the David IC?
While breakfast is a very fun part of Israeli hotels I wouldn't not stay there just because of that. You can always just head out for breakfast.

That being said, haven't really heard from many who stayed there yet to know it's overall give etc.

It looks really nice though.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »
I didn't even realize hotels in Israel were allowed to serve non-kosher.

As a meeting planner, I always assumed that the hotels there are often kosher so they don’t miss out on big meeting and events where even a few of the attendees want kosher food or government meetings.

"This is a huge plus to those who don't keep kosher, since it means that all services are available on saturday. It may seem trivial. But try staying in a hotel limited room service on Friday night and Saturday and no fresh coffee or made to order dishes in breakfast and you'll agree it's a huge deal."

Maybe one day this will change...

I was really upset when I saw this place wasn’t kosher but now I can see how this could actually be a huge advantage wooing the large business clientele in Tel Aviv. I’m always amazed at how well the Hilton caters to such a diverse crowd. They get so many Chinese businessmen that they serve Chinese breakfast options. Even over Sukkot when I’d say it was over 60-70% orthodox guests at the TA Hilton (had Sephardic and Ashkenazi daily minyanim and they were both packed), there were still a good number of Asian and American businesmen in the lounge. I don’t think they have an executive lounge at this hotel but if they are competitive with their elite perks, I could see the appeal of a place like this for a non-Jewish businessman looking to stay at chain hotel in Israel.

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 01:35:15 PM »
Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I haven't seen any reports here. Looking for a nice option in Tel Aviv for 2 weeknights (so can go out for meals, shabbos/kashrus is not a factor in my stay).

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 02:00:51 PM »
Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I haven't seen any reports here. Looking for a nice option in Tel Aviv for 2 weeknights (so can go out for meals, shabbos/kashrus is not a factor in my stay).
was there
rooms are not large, i got a corner suite which was ok
it is a very nice hotel, free bikes are alot of fun!

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
DW and I stayed here for 2 nights in late December and aside from seeing family the Jaffa was the highlight of our trip. Before we even entered, we felt like we were in a James Bond movie. The cast of characters coming and going look like they'd just come in from Monaco. The staff is impeccably dressed and provide outstanding service. Walking into the lobby you can tell this is like no other hotel in Israel in terms of clientele. You hear almost no Hebrew spoken by customers or staff. At check-in, we were told less than half the staff can even converse in Hebrew. I was also surprised the hotel was treyf but when I got there and saw who their market is, it makes perfect sense. The other guests we spoke with were people coming to visit Israel for business or as part of a jaunt through the area. Multiple well-heeled groups shared that they were visiting Jordan, Israel and Egypt as part of one trip.

I did not see one person wearing a kippah which given its location in a predominantly Arab neighborhood is not surprising. Staying here was also a rare opportunity to redeem Marriott at nearly 1.5 cpp. The Temple Bar on the 2nd Floor is one of a kind and the pool felt like an oasis. It's right near the Jaffa port which is a beautiful place to watch sunset. If Shabbat/Kashrut is not an issue then you can't go wrong at the Jaffa.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 03:01:19 PM »
Isn't the bar a former church or something?

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »
DW and I stayed here for 2 nights in late December and aside from seeing family the Jaffa was the highlight of our trip. Before we even entered, we felt like we were in a James Bond movie. The cast of characters coming and going look like they'd just come in from Monaco. The staff is impeccably dressed and provide outstanding service. Walking into the lobby you can tell this is like no other hotel in Israel in terms of clientele. You hear almost no Hebrew spoken by customers or staff. At check-in, we were told less than half the staff can even converse in Hebrew. I was also surprised the hotel was treyf but when I got there and saw who their market is, it makes perfect sense. The other guests we spoke with were people coming to visit Israel for business or as part of a jaunt through the area. Multiple well-heeled groups shared that they were visiting Jordan, Israel and Egypt as part of one trip.

I did not see one person wearing a kippah which given its location in a predominantly Arab neighborhood is not surprising. Staying here was also a rare opportunity to redeem Marriott at nearly 1.5 cpp. The Temple Bar on the 2nd Floor is one of a kind and the pool felt like an oasis. It's right near the Jaffa port which is a beautiful place to watch sunset. If Shabbat/Kashrut is not an issue then you can't go wrong at the Jaffa.

Great hotel but a little over dramatic. Many hotels in Tel Aviv are not kosher. The clientele is not very different than other TA hotels.
It is
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 04:17:38 PM »
Great hotel but a little over dramatic. Many hotels in Tel Aviv are not kosher. The clientele is not very different than other TA hotels. It is
+1

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
I'm not sure if it was davka a church or a multifaith chapel but in either case I did not see any religious iconography.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
I'm not sure if it was davka a church or a multifaith chapel but in either case I did not see any religious iconography.
Did you do research to determine if you were permitted to enter?

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
Did you do research to determine if you were permitted to enter?
I do a lot of interfaith work so I'm familiar enough with the sources to pasken for myself on this subject but as with everything else AYLOR.

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
Going to be in TLV in March for 1 day, and looking for a restaurant near Sarona Market with a mehadrin hashgacha - any suggestions?

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »
Going to be in TLV in March for 1 day, and looking for a restaurant near Sarona Market with a mehadrin hashgacha - any suggestions?
Deca
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »
got this email today