http://sukkah.com/
http://www.sukkahdepot.com/
http://www.sukkot.com/
http://www.sukkahrentals.com/
http://sukkahoutlet.com/product-category/sukkah-styles/ez-sukkahs/

Wood
Pros: Cheap
         Easy to change shape or size as your needs for space change
         DIY - most people would be able to build it from scratch or make modifications (e.g. add windows)
         Can be converted to chazzon ish (replace metal screws with peg screws)
         Can integrate a schlock to the structure
Cons: Heavy, Can warp over time. (note: if you use enough fasteners and are also careful to assemble it balanced this can be minimized)
         Needs lots of storage space

Fiberglass
Pros: Easy Setup (on level ground)
         Length/width is reconfigurable (you just need to buy a few 2x4 beams if you change layout)
Cons: Expensive
         Greenhouse effect on hot days (need to budget for several open/shut windows)
         Connection threads can become bent even with proper storage (need to budget for the odd panel replacement here and there)
         Can Crack or Break

Canvas
Pros: Setup in minutes
Cons: Not accepted by all poskim
         Poor protection from cold Weather
         Wind Can be bothersome.

SUPER CHEAP DIY SUKKAH
http://diysukkah.twinkel.me/

Author Topic: Best Sukkah?  (Read 166131 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Best Sukkah?
« Reply #460 on: October 24, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
Might help someone else.

Second year using these bamboo mats. I hated the fabric covers that they came in. It's nearly impossible to get it back in without snagging. Was thinking of getting an 8" pvc pipe as a holder but it's way too expensive.

So I used Saran wrap on the end and it slides in perfectly

Smart
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 24, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
Might help someone else.

Second year using these bamboo mats. I hated the fabric covers that they came in. It's nearly impossible to get it back in without snagging. Was thinking of getting an 8" pvc pipe as a holder but it's way too expensive.

So I used Saran wrap on the end and it slides in perfectly

Genius!! I will try later thanks!!
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #462 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »
I store them without the bags. The guy who sold them told me to throw the bags away. They have no benefit and can cause mildew.
^^^

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2020, 10:23:59 AM »
 Has anyone brought a Tubular Sukkah Kit from Sukkot.com and can comment on how sturdy/durable they are? They seem to be half the price of our sukkah's.

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »
I've gotten a few questions about the construction of the succah I posted earlier so here are some pictures of various aspects of its construction.
@aygart Thanks for the inspiration!

Had my deck rebuilt due to minor fire damage. Told the contractor to make the railing 'posts' be full height so they can support the panels and beams, and had him space them ~4ft from each other. Then I bought 4x8 sheets of 5mm plywood underlayment cut in half at Lowes. Unfortunately the guy didn't do a very precise job on the railing/frame, so I had to go back and cut each panel to size for each specific spot, and I also had to attach each panel to the face of the frame instead of being inset (like aygart's). I sprayed the wing clips with a protective clear coat and used exterior rated screws. I also bought some very bright and weatherproof LED strips (visible in the pic), which I had the contractor wire into an existing exterior floodlight, and replaced the switch for that light with a timer switch, so I can control the lights over YT.

I still have to go back and apply a finish to weatherize the panels. I might also go back and add vents and/or windows, but probably not this year. All in all a lot of work to get set up, but should provide be a really quick and easy system for years to come.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »

Had my deck rebuilt due to minor fire damage. Told the contractor to make the railing 'posts' be full height so they can support the panels and beams, and had him space them ~4ft from each other. Then I bought 4x8 sheets of 5mm plywood underlayment cut in half at Lowes. Unfortunately the guy didn't do a very precise job on the railing/frame, so I had to go back and cut each panel to size for each specific spot, and I also had to attach each panel to the face of the frame instead of being inset (like aygart's). I sprayed the wing clips with a protective clear coat and used exterior rated screws. I also bought some very bright and weatherproof LED strips (visible in the pic), which I had the contractor wire into an existing exterior floodlight, and replaced the switch for that light with a timer switch, so I can control the lights over YT.

I still have to go back and apply a finish to weatherize the panels. I might also go back and add vents and/or windows, but probably not this year. All in all a lot of work to get set up, but should provide be a really quick and easy system for years to come.

Nice! Can you post a link to the LED strips?

One suggestion I have is to fill in between the beams. The way it is now you will have a gap under the schech allowing the sun to shine through there and potentially making it uncomfortable for people on the opposite side.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2020, 12:12:43 PM »

Can you please post a pic of what it looks like from the other side?

I wanted to do this but with a frame that i can slide the panels in

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
Nice! Can you post a link to the LED strips?

One suggestion I have is to fill in between the beams. The way it is now you will have a gap under the schech allowing the sun to shine through there and potentially making it uncomfortable for people on the opposite side.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights/5m-white-led-strip-light-highlight-series-tape-light-1224v-ip67-waterproof/5602/12525/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/power-supplies/led-switching-power-supply-diodedrive-series-60w-150w-enclosed-power-supply-12v/5676/12363/

Bought two 16.4' reels and cut/spliced it into three almost 11' lengths, which each run directly back to the power supply mounted on the central beam right by the house. I also bought a bunch of small accessories to keep it waterproof at all the spots I cut and spliced, and some extra wire to bridge from the ends of the runs back to the power supply. They come with has adhesive backing (peel and stick), but I wasn't sure how well that would work, so I also bought screw-in mounting clips (they were out of stock so I got similar size on Amazon).

This company has very good customer service. If you want a different setup and need help figuring out which of their products will work together for what you're trying to accomplish call or chat them - they're very helpful.

All in, it was right around $200. You can find for less, but I wanted to be confident in it lasting outdoors and for it to be very bright - this totals 8-8.5k lumens for a space around 16'x16'.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
Can you please post a pic of what it looks like from the other side?

I wanted to do this but with a frame that i can slide the panels in
See the pic above for what it looks like without the panels. I originally intended to slide the panels in, but everything was too far out of square to make it worthwhile. For panels inset into the frame, see aygart's pics here:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=9477.msg1579379#msg1579379

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 24, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
Forgot to address this. I believe I have enough length on my mats to have them draped over that extra 2" on either side. If not, I should have plenty of cutoffs from the panels that I can use to fill the spaces.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:47 PM »
I've seen some of the canvas Sukkahs come with a piece that clips onto the frame and holds the beams in place. Anyone know where I can buy those separately, or whether there's something I can get from Home Depot that does the same thing?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline @mike

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »
Any suggestions for a schach mat that smells moldy?

Offline Tomorrow

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »
Any suggestions for a schach mat that smells moldy?
Diluted bleach spray.
Or diluted vinegar.
Or lemon oil.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:47:48 PM by Tomorrow »
Sorry if I ask so many questions, but life is short and there is so much to learn! Let's help each other be great!

Offline @mike

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
Diluted bleach spray.
Or diluted vinegar.
Or lemon oil.

Thanks!

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 08, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »

["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2020, 06:22:29 PM »
http://sukkahawningsbydean.com/

BTW now is the time if you don't want to pay through the roof
["-"]

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 06, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »
Can a modular wood panel sukkah be left up over the winter, or will it get destroyed by the weather? I'm not worried about the wind, as mine is attached to my house and deck for support and shielding from the wind, but will snow and rain ruin it?

I snagged a good deal on an inflatable hot tub and have been using the sukkah frame as a privacy shield, but don't want to continue if it's going to kill my sukkah. Obviously the schach is safely rolled up and stored inside, just the sukkah frame and crossbeams for stability.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 06, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
http://sukkahawningsbydean.com/

BTW now is the time if you don't want to pay through the roof
Tri state awnings has the same sukkah with enhanced features. A stainless box frame where the roll goes into, keeping it dry and sheltered from the elements during the year, and it is neater too. Plus they offer an array of designs and prints so you can actually sit in beautiful walls and not in cold awning striped walls, a great type of noy sukkah actually.

I can't bless them enough each and every year when rolling and zippering down my beautiful walls takes me just 2 minutes. These roll up sukkahs are taking over the market lately.

Offline how

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 06, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
Can a modular wood panel sukkah be left up over the winter, or will it get destroyed by the weather? I'm not worried about the wind, as mine is attached to my house and deck for support and shielding from the wind, but will snow and rain ruin it?

I snagged a good deal on an inflatable hot tub and have been using the sukkah frame as a privacy shield, but don't want to continue if it's going to kill my sukkah. Obviously the schach is safely rolled up and stored inside, just the sukkah frame and crossbeams for stability.
make Sure your deck is strong enough for a hot tub

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 06, 2020, 03:24:29 PM »
Tri State awnings are thinner therefore they can roll it into the box frame, dean rolls into a material, they're the same concept a little bit different in style, I found dean to be much cheaper then try State
["-"]