Author Topic: Which Flight Should I Take?  (Read 93872 times)

Offline Wizard

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which Flight Should I Take?
« Reply #400 on: June 28, 2023, 03:42:40 PM »
To clarify - AA Premium Economy (Boeing 777) vs Delta Comfort plus (not premium select, Airbus A330-900neo) to Israel. How do they compare? Is AA worth the extra price?
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
To clarify - AA Premium Economy (Boeing 777) vs Delta Comfort plus (not premium select, Airbus A330-900neo) to Israel. How do they compare? Is AA worth the extra price?
completely different product.
DL Comfort+ = AA Main extra
DL Premium Economy= AA premium economy

Comfort+ is simply more legroom

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 29, 2023, 12:24:41 AM »
completely different product.
DL Comfort+ = AA Main extra
DL Premium Economy= AA premium economy

Comfort+ is simply more legroom
Thx. What more does AA Premium economy offer? Worth an extra $340 per ticket?
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2023, 03:42:53 AM »
Probably very minor difference, but would love to hear any factors I missed. Traveling with DW and 4 kids, checking in 2 bags, ending up in Lakewood.
Option 1: JAX-JFK 7 AM on DL. 4.6K skypesos +$5.60. Free checked bags with DL CC.
Option 2: JAX-LGA 8:10 AM (more convenient departure time) on B6. 4K Chase via travel portal.
I’m leaning toward DL, but not sure why.
My mother, the driver, told me that she prefers pickup at JFK over pickup at LGA every time. She was even willing to subsidize my tickets so I wouldn't land at LGA. (And even better, she prefers EWR.) But this would depend on your travel method to Lakewood, lechora.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #404 on: June 29, 2023, 04:05:47 AM »
Probably very minor difference, but would love to hear any factors I missed. Traveling with DW and 4 kids, checking in 2 bags, ending up in Lakewood.
Option 1: JAX-JFK 7 AM on DL. 4.6K skypesos +$5.60. Free checked bags with DL CC.
Option 2: JAX-LGA 8:10 AM (more convenient departure time) on B6. 4K Chase via travel portal.
I’m leaning toward DL, but not sure why.
JFK will be quicker to get back to Lakewood

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2023, 12:21:50 PM »
Thx. What more does AA Premium economy offer? Worth an extra $340 per ticket?
more legroom, wider seat, supposedly better meals.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 02, 2023, 01:11:27 PM »
JFK will be quicker to get back to Lakewood
Thanks

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2023, 06:14:11 PM »
Currently booked on AA145 TLV-JFK on ליל שבעה עשר בתמוז (which would extend the fast and fly during fast). Nothing available on AA earlier or later in the week. Pro: nonstop flight on 777. Arrival at terminal 8 where I hope to be able to retrieve the bag I left behind at TSA on my outbound.

I could book TK a day earlier or a day later. Pros: better soft product, not flying on fast.
Cons: connection via IST which extends overall travel time, paying for another ticket at non-saver rates with YQ.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 03, 2023, 07:36:09 PM »
Currently booked on AA145 TLV-JFK on ליל שבעה עשר בתמוז (which would extend the fast and fly during fast). Nothing available on AA earlier or later in the week. Pro: nonstop flight on 777. Arrival at terminal 8 where I hope to be able to retrieve the bag I left behind at TSA on my outbound.

I could book TK a day earlier or a day later. Pros: better soft product, not flying on fast.
Cons: connection via IST which extends overall travel time, paying for another ticket at non-saver rates with YQ.

You land early morning, what time does the fast start in the air? You can probably eat most of the flight, so it's not so bad. Personally I think I'd stick with that, even though I don't like to fly on fast days.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2023, 02:41:03 AM »

AYLOR about the fasting. Some are meikel to the time of departing point.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2023, 03:46:38 AM »
You land early morning, what time does the fast start in the air? You can probably eat most of the flight, so it's not so bad. Personally I think I'd stick with that, even though I don't like to fly on fast days.
MyZmanim says the earliest possible dawn is a little after 2:30AM IL time. That means you can only eat for 2.5 hours after takeoff (if they take off on time), barring any kulos on the whole inyan. (For every ten minute delay, it looks like the earliest possible dawn moves 8 minutes later. For instance, it says a 12:30 flight's earliest possible dawn is 2:40ish.) I would be sure to have the MyZmanim list on you, because it will be very useful to know your options.

I would take the direct, I think. Make sure you pre-hydrate well the day(s) before. Gatorade if that's your thing, grapes...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 03:50:03 AM by mevinyavin »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Gimpel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC Alaska MVP Aeroplan 25k
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »
Flying in 3 weeks from Mumbai to Dubai there’s tons of flight options in economy for around 150-200 usd and I really don’t mind being in economy for a 3 hour flight.    BUT there’s 1 flight a day operated by an emirates A380 and first class in available for 65k aeroplan miles it’s always been a bucket list flight for me, is it worth spending the miles for the experience? The flight is only 3 hours but I should be able to take a shower, it also leaves very early in the morning as opposed to taking a flight out the night before which is really better timing for me, any opinions?

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2023, 03:21:44 AM »
What flight makes most sense considering all details?

This is what I'm comparing to price wise:

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 18, 2023, 09:48:45 AM »
What flight makes most sense considering all details?

This is what I'm comparing to price wise:

we're missing details like where you live (the difference between jfk and ewr can be a couple of hunder dollars in trans costs), do you like to stay on a tin can for 12 hrs or you rather get off in the middle....

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 18, 2023, 10:41:44 AM »
we're missing details like where you live (the difference between jfk and ewr can be a couple of hunder dollars in trans costs), do you like to stay on a tin can for 12 hrs or you rather get off in the middle....
leaving from Lakewood. Obviously EWR is preferred, question is how much $ is that worth. Traveling with 2 yr old and 10 month

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 18, 2023, 11:14:10 AM »
leaving from Lakewood. Obviously EWR is preferred, question is how much $ is that worth. Traveling with 2 yr old and 10 month

Ok. keep in mind that some connections are harder than others. LHR is TONS of walking vs MAD which is much better built for easy connections. No idea bout conecting in BOS or FRA.
In case of misconnect LHR has Kosher food, and is a city w a large jewish kehila...
the boston flight is an outlier in that it gets you in during the morning and is direct from north america (we're disscussing this on another thread these days - NA stop vs EU stop with kids)
IMO idealy with lkids you want to arrive late afternoon and get them to bed quickly.
Just my two cents

PS you do know that there almost a 24hr difference between your diferent return options, right?

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2023, 11:56:10 AM »
the boston flight is an outlier in that it gets you in during the morning and is direct from north america (we're disscussing this on another thread these days - NA stop vs EU stop with kids)
IMO idealy with lkids you want to arrive late afternoon and get them to bed quickly.
Just my two cents
thanks. Where is that thread?
PS you do know that there almost a 24hr difference between your diferent return options, right?
yes

Offline SHL

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2023, 02:27:39 PM »
Ok. keep in mind that some connections are harder than others. LHR is TONS of walking vs MAD which is much better built for easy connections. No idea bout conecting in BOS or FRA.
In case of misconnect LHR has Kosher food, and is a city w a large jewish kehila...
Just my two cents

MAD can have a lot of walking too if the small checkpoint is closed

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2023, 05:48:21 PM »
Planning an extra brief visit to EY (basically need to be there one evening/night).

Options for return flight are:

VS454  VS45
journey duration16h 30m
departure time6:55AM
arrival time4:25PM
layover airport code LHR layover duration2h  50m
arrival airport code JFK

90,500 VS + $255.07

AC81 (11:55am departure) connecting at YYZ to flight to either JFK or LGA arriving around 9pm or 10pm
135,000 - 137,300 AC + CAD100 (~ USD 74).

VS PROS: earlier arrival, lower total cost. VS CONS: departure time kills the night and doesn't allow for decent Shachris.
AC PROS: Better departure time allowing for decent night and Shachris, lower cash outlay. AC CONS: Overall higher cost, later arrival.
UNKNOWN (to me): AC J vs VS J.

Also available is IB (via BA)
81,250 Avios (62,500 AMEX with current promo) + $215.47
IB PROS: lowest cost. IB CONS: 5:30am departure, 6 hour layover in MAD, presumably fake J on TLV-MAD route.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 06:01:06 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan