Author Topic: If I buy someones used S9, What stops him from reporting it stolen?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
I know there's such a thing as theft Insurance should your phone be stolen you're able to report your phone stolen and the phone will be locked, now my question is if I go ahead and purchase someone's Galaxy S9 for example and register the phone in my name meaning login to the Samsung account and the phone with all my info can one still lock my phone saying that his phone was stolen or lost?
  Basically is one protected when buying a phone from another person and having him log out from all his info and you log into yours?
  Or the imei number can still be reported as stolen and the guy who sold you the phone can get himself a new phone after they lock the original phone,  so he got himself $700-$800 and a new phone?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
Re: If I buy someones used S9, What stops him from reporting it stolen?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:18:06 AM »
It seems theres nothing to do to stop someone from reporting it stolen.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/Is-it-possible-to-sell-a-phone-and-then-report-it-lost-stolen/td-p/4761014

I guess that's why buying from ebay,swapp,amazon or glyde is the best options so down the road you have where to turn back to.

I was thinking maybe I should get the document of sale but then again it won't help it's not in my name.

How does anyone buy a phone from someone on ddf or anywhere aside for buying with a cc?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:27:11 AM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:58:38 AM »

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/Is-it-possible-to-sell-a-phone-and-then-report-it-lost-stolen/td-p/4761014

I guess that's why buying from ebay,swapp,amazon or glyde is the best options so down the road you have where to turn back to.

I was thinking maybe I should get the document of sale but then again it won't help it's not in my name.

How does anyone buy a phone from someone on ddf or anywhere aside for buying with a cc?
Nothing can be done.
Really interesting to know.

https://swappa.com/faq/buy/imei_blacklist_future

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »

Answered your own question lol. I know of people who bought off craigslist and had this happen, that’s why I always recommend ebay.

Offline greathummer7

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
Answered your own question lol. I know of people who bought off craigslist and had this happen, that’s why I always recommend ebay.

Seems no way to prevent it other than having the faith that both parties are dealing in good faith. At least many people on DDF have transacted before and hopefully can show that they are genuine transactions. as good of a deal as CL is, i would hate to be in a position holding the bag when the deal goes south.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »
Seems no way to prevent it other than having the faith that both parties are dealing in good faith. At least many people on DDF have transacted before and hopefully can show that they are genuine transactions. as good of a deal as CL is, i would hate to be in a position holding the bag when the deal goes south.
Wouldn't a properly worded and signed buyers contract help? Or with crooks you're always going to have issues?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
Wouldn't a properly worded and signed buyers contract help? Or with crooks you're always going to have issues?
It seems the only one who can stop this fraud is the cellular company T-Mobile at&t and etc. they need to have the account noted by the imei number that this device was sold to this and this person and have the ownership removed from the original buyer,  even should you get the bill of sale it doesn't help as it can be stolen the same way they're saying you stole the phone.

I was mind boggled by the question, never thought there can be a loop hole like the one i posed, tried searching a bit but couldn't find any answers, but searched again and found some reliable results.

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Once bought an iphone on Ebay. Tried activating but it came up stolen. Ebay made the seller refund the money and made them send me a return label. They never sent a label, so I got back my money and was able to keep the (worthless) phone.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
Once bought an iphone on Ebay. Tried activating but it came up stolen. Ebay made the seller refund the money and made them send me a return label. They never sent a label, so I got back my money and was able to keep the (worthless) phone.
If you can somehow convince the carrier that it was sold to you, that seems the only way to have it unlocked.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
When it comes to high end electronics, rule of thumb is always document the chain of custody.  If buying it from someone, buy with a C. Card which has in-built insurance so-to-speak against this kind of fraud, or paypal, which has protections.  Never cash or btc.
Save every conversation and email it to yourself which will create a server timestamp, in the case of any police report issues.
Also, if buying a "new" product, take a picture of unboxing using a current-day's newspaper to established it wasn't in fact opened 6 months ago.