Author Topic: Mini Trip- Mini Report on Newport  (Read 1818 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Mini Trip- Mini Report on Newport
« on: August 17, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
 With a large family of 12 it is not so easy for my wife and I to go away by ourselves. So when an opportunity arose to have someone available to take care of the kids so we can go away for a short trip we grabbed it! Unfortunately, we were only able to get 2 days and one night, earning a mazel tov from @davidrotts63  and a LOL from @Dan who could not even figure out why we would do more than going to a nearby hotel for the night. Looks like IY”H one day Dan will be coming to me for travel advice once he has a large family himself :P

Being that we only had a short amount of time, we were limited in how far we could go. Further complicating things, the weather forecast for the two available days was for thunderstorms covering much of the region. The type of place we were looking for was one where we could spend time outdoors and walk around in a nice relaxing nature oriented setting. After narrowing things down, we ended up choosing to go to Newport, RI.

Our first stop on the way in was at the John H. Chafee Nature Preserve for no reason other than that we were passing it anyhow. The park consists of a trail to the bay and along the water.

We walked straight, but in hindsight, you are probably best off taking the left turn and getting along the peninsula. It is a pretty basic walk to the shore. The shore itself is beautiful of course but we would skip that if we would be doing it over. One nice fringe benefit from having gone there was that along the way I noticed a bird (I think it is a gray catbird based on Merlin) bringing food to its nest and took the opportunity to be makeyem shiluach haken.

It struck us how wherever you go the shore is full of seashells at the high water line.

From there we drove over to the hotel. We chose the Wyndham Onshore. It is a timeshare property operated by Wyndham of only suites with full kitchens. We ended up with a 2 bedroom suite. They are closing for renovations over the winter and can definitely use it. The rooms are clean and nice but outdated and tired.

The location, on the other hand is probably from the best of all hotels in Newport. It is on the water and the building we were in was is actually a part of the marina with a nice balcony overlooking the bay. Once they remodel it should be a great hotel.

By then it was getting close to mincha time so we just went walking aroung the harbor until mincha and then went to daven in Touro Synagogue. There are enough pictures around of touro which are much better than anything I took so I will leave those out. After mariv we went to buy some grilling supplies, grilled supper, ate, and called it a day.
To be continued….

Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Trip- Mini Report on Newport
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
With a large family of 12
Wow! Wishing you a lot of נחת!!
Didn’t read yet TR to comment but this was OMG!!

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Lol.
Loving the mini TR style, I'll bookmark this for a couple of years ;)
Hope you won't take that long to get it done ::)
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:49:15 PM »
So when an opportunity arose to have someone available to take care of the kids
How’d you pull that off ? :)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:07:46 PM »
My family question for aygart is: How old's the oldest? Do you have girls on top?
With the right answers, leaving for 2 days and a night becomes easier.
(And you hope they don't kill each other.)
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
How’d you pull that off ? :)
My family question for aygart is: How old's the oldest? Do you have girls on top?
With the right answers, leaving for 2 days and a night becomes easier.
(And you hope they don't kill each other.)
Looks like IY”H one day Dan will be coming to me for travel advice once he has a large family himself :P
I do have a girl on the top who is 19. That helped a lot, but she has a job and her availability was limited to outside business hours. The next 3 were in camp. All of the younger ones were in camp/playgroup starting at 9:30 with the youngest coming home at 2 and then staggered until around 5:00. Once my daughter came home from work she took over until the youngest were in bed. We needed someone to be in charge in the morning, give them breakfast, get the  kids out to camp, pick the younger ones up and watch them and give them supper.

BTW, 12 is including my wife and I.
Feelings don't care about your facts