Author Topic: building a sukkah shlock  (Read 19282 times)

Offline Josef.koney

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: building a sukkah shlock
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:05 PM »
One simple model I've seen work for medium size sukkas (10*12), standard tarp fixed on one side and rolled on a pipe across the schach (flat). Then pull it tight using bungie cords. Then use a paint roller extension rod with a rubber foot on end and a tennis ball on the other to prop up the already taut tarp to creat a slope.
This has worked successfully for several years and I intend to try it this year on a much larger sukka (16*16).
As a kid we did similar... Just used a 2x4 instead of pvc, and our walls were a slant so no need for the beam but that's a great idea!
However then we made our succa the size of the full porch, and doing it manually wouldn't work anymore...

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »
Interesting idea but won't be good for me. My sukkah isn't freestanding in middle of someplace. It's on a porch against a wall.

We never had a schlok but since this thread got bumped I'm starting to think about it.

Preferably I'd want a gear with a chain that spins a pvc pipe (like some window shades). But I think that's too complicated for now. Then I was thinking of different ways how to do it with strings.

I still didn't come out with a solid plan
Nothing's solid however what I have done works quite well. (you could look up thread for my posts... )

Basically the idea is using a thick tarp on a pvc pipe, slight slant. Having one rope (or more for bigger succos) that's rolled up with the tarp; and then comes into succa from (for example) the north side. And then another rope that goes from the south side, under the pvc (and tarp) and comes over and back into the succa (back at the south side)
If you do it right, the south rope will role the tarp up, and the north rope with open it up.

If your actually gonna do it, lmk I could try to guide you more... Just no need to write it all out if you feel it's too complicated...

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2020, 12:05:07 AM »
Nothing's solid however what I have done works quite well. (you could look up thread for my posts... )

Basically the idea is using a thick tarp on a pvc pipe, slight slant. Having one rope (or more for bigger succos) that's rolled up with the tarp; and then comes into succa from (for example) the north side. And then another rope that goes from the south side, under the pvc (and tarp) and comes over and back into the succa (back at the south side)
If you do it right, the south rope will role the tarp up, and the north rope with open it up.

If your actually gonna do it, lmk I could try to guide you more... Just no need to write it all out if you feel it's too complicated...
I'm not visualizing what your saying perfectly, but I think that's one of the ideas I had in mind.
In your example which side is the raised side? Which side does the shlok sit on when rolled up? North or south

Correct me if I misunderstood. Your shlok is sitting on the raised side when it's rolled up.

I was thinking of putting the rolled up shlok on the lower side that way I only need one string to unroll it and letting gravity roll it back up by releasing the string and it will roll back up with the shlok.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
I'm not visualizing what your saying perfectly, but I think that's one of the ideas I had in mind.
In your example which side is the raised side? Which side does the shlok sit on when rolled up? North or south

Correct me if I misunderstood. Your shlok is sitting on the raised side when it's rolled up.

I was thinking of putting the rolled up shlok on the lower side that way I only need one string to unroll it and letting gravity roll it back up by releasing the string and it will roll back up with the shlok.
When rolled up i personally have it on the south side (and it's the lower side as well) with this system it really can be done either way truthfully.
The reason I have it this way is because I want the shlock rolling up (opening) away from the succa so all extra water thats on the tarp with flow off the succa and not into it. (I have the succa on a deck, so the north side is a house-and the pvc can't be rolled past the succa)

The second idea you mentioned, is what many people do, I personally don't like it because the slant must be much steeper, in contrast having another string isn't such a big deal.
That being said, I've never done the other way personally, so I can't tell you if it's better or not.

Offline shie123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2020, 04:53:53 PM »
Now does Home Depot sell 16' long PVC pipe and if yes how can I schlep it home?
Can I get 2 smallers and connect?
Probably not.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »
Probably not.
If you have the answer why ask?
It makes it a difficult read.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
Probably not.
I just keep the trunk open and tie it down... (Unless it's a really long drive...
Why wouldn't you be able to connect 2 smaller ones?
They have a fatter and skinnier side so they can slide into each other.
Lol he was having a convo in his mind and decided to let us in on it...

Offline shie123

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2020, 08:31:32 PM »
Sorry..?
I was just thinking out loud and trying to get people with experience chime in.
I actually just came back from Home Depot and they don't even have PVC pipes longer than 10'
This type of thing somebody with experience would be able to help me.
I just keep the trunk open and tie it down... (Unless it's a really long drive...
Why wouldn't you be able to connect 2 smaller ones?
They have a fatter and skinnier side so they can slide into each other. Lol he was having a convo in his mind and decided to let us in on it...

Thanks!

Offline am7734

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:03 PM »
Sorry..?
I was just thinking out loud and trying to get people with experience chime in.
I actually just came back from Home Depot and they don't even have PVC pipes longer than 10'
This type of thing somebody with experience would be able to help me.Thanks!
PVC is very easy to work with and of course you can get 2 smaller pipes and connect them using a coupling. Use pvc primer and glue if you want to make that connection permanent.

Offline shie123

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
PVC is very easy to work with and of course you can get 2 smaller pipes and connect them using a coupling. Use pvc primer and glue if you want to make that connection permanent.
Thank you very much that was my next option, but I ended up ordering from a local Jewish plumbing supply warehouse.
Probably paid a little more but it was delivered to my door $50 for a 4" diameter 20' long.

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »
Thank you very much that was my next option, but I ended up ordering from a local Jewish plumbing supply warehouse.
Probably paid a little more but it was delivered to my door $50 for a 4" diameter 20' long.
In my experience 4 inch pipes don't work well, 2" pipes work much better .
I got 2  2" pipes and 1 1 and half inch pipe and connected them works amazing.

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
Anyone know how they make those pully system shlock that you see all over boro park and alot of other chassidish areas?

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
In my experience 4 inch pipes don't work well, 2" pipes work much better .
I got 2  2" pipes and 1 1 and half inch pipe and connected them works amazing.
What's wrong with the 4"?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.