Author Topic: Skype video-calling for bedridden individual. Advice needed.  (Read 1049 times)

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Skype video-calling for bedridden individual. Advice needed.
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
I am looking to set up video calling for a bedridden individual.

I would like to use the large screen TV that is already in the room for video and if possible audio. I've done some research and I am not sure what is the best solution is (will probably end up being a cheap dedicated computer or tablet always plugged in to TV unless a better solution is proposed).

1. Setup before each call must be as simple as possible.
2. Would like video and audio both ways to be clear and decent quality from 8 feet away (will a good webcam work for outgoing video and audio?)
3. If using tablet, will webcam and/or external mic be supported by Skype etc..
4. Can I connect a 2017 fire tablet (no HDMI) with a fire stick to use TV for incoming video and/or audio?
5. Is Skype the best for this or is there another program with more support for our unique needs?

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline ukinny

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Skype video-calling for bedridden individual. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »
For slightly different needs, I too would like to figure out the best way to do Skype on TV (for elderly grandparents). A webcam (thinking Logitech c920) connected to a device ought to do the trick, but what that device should be I don't know. A PC Stick with an Atom? An Inspiron 11 3000? (trying to keep the device down to < $300). Thoughts appreciated

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
For slightly different needs, I too would like to figure out the best way to do Skype on TV (for elderly grandparents). A webcam (thinking Logitech c920) connected to a device ought to do the trick, but what that device should be I don't know. A PC Stick with an Atom? An Inspiron 11 3000? (trying to keep the device down to < $300). Thoughts appreciated
We use a tv on a stand with a laptop on the shelf underneath hooked up to Zoom etc

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »
Does anyone have experience with Portal from Facebook?

They do this
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »
No need to reinvent the wheel, especially for people that won't be able to do their own tech support. Each extra component you're working with can lead to extra problems..

There are lots of devices built in the past few years that do this perfectly. Do you specifically want it set up on a TV size screen, or would a tablet size work?

Tablet size (benefit: portable, take with you to any room in the house)
Google makes the Nest Hub Max
Amazon makes the Echo Show

TV size (benefit: large screen)
Facebook makes the Portal TV (also available in tablet size)