Topic Wiki

To save you time, here's a sum up of this thread. If you're getting married close to NYC (yes, Brooklyn is in NYC) - just go to the Andaz 5th. :)

REMEMBER: You must take your kesubah with you, or give it to someone to hold for you. The kallah has to know where it is.

DRAFT

Lakewood
The American Hotel in Freehold TR by @Yehuda here and here
http://innonmainmanasquan.com/wp/ DrDanny recommended Special secret
http://www.berkeleyhotelnj.com/
https://www.bungalowhotel.net/
Hyatt New Brunswick 55min away

NYC Area
SPG
W Hoboken TR by SamKey
Westin Jersey City
The Westin New York at Times Square
Element New York Times Square West
Le Parker Méridien New York
W New York
St. Regis New York TR by Whacked1

Hyatt
Andaz 5th Ave TR by AJK
Andaz Wall St

Ritz Central Park TR by wonderlust

North Jersey
Hilton Pearl River
Marriott Glen Point
Sheraton Crossroads (mahwah) 
Sheraton Meadowlands
Hilton Woodcliff Lake

Baltimore
Hyatt by the Harbor
DoubleTree/Hilton at Reisterstown Rd
« Last edited by ahron15 on October 09, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »

Author Topic: Hotel for Wedding Night?  (Read 216668 times)

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel for Wedding Night?
« Reply #720 on: June 08, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »
Not sure what your friends salaries or hashkafos are like, but of my friends (who all vary greatly in their salaries and hashkafos), none of them live in split private house in flatbush
they all live in buildings?

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 08, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
1)W/D  . 2)Backyard 3)parking 4) noise 5) bugs/mice and many more.
You can have each of these be a problem in a house and each (except the backyard for the most part) not be an problem in a building. More importantly though, those things have an intrinsic cost to them. Many people go without them if they can't afford it. So for you to suggest that no one can stand a building is super snobbish and comes off sounding like a rich brat - to be perfectly honest  :P

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 08, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
Not sure what your friends salaries or hashkafos are like, but of my friends (who all vary greatly in their salaries and hashkafos), none of them live in split private house in flatbush
How does hashkafos have to do with anything?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 08, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »
You can have each of these be a problem in a house and each (except the backyard for the most part) not be an problem in a building. More importantly though, those things have an intrinsic cost to them. Many people go without them if they can't afford it. So for you to suggest that no one can stand a building is super snobbish and comes off sounding like a rich brat - to be perfectly honest  :P
No- W/D is  considered normal thing to have as a family. So does a car? Can you say a family in bk can get away with it? Yes but still considered normal.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 08, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
$wise its not worth to live in a building with no parking. Parking is going to cost you $150 per month around. Some have higher rent and its included some have it as an added fee. Thats $5 per day. If you live near a building with no parking I can work at a gas station an hour a day ( thats what it would take to find parking) and make $15 so im up $10

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 08, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
No- W/D is  considered normal thing to have as a family. So does a car? Can you say a family in bk can get away with it? Yes but still considered normal.
$wise its not worth to live in a building with no parking. Parking is going to cost you $150 per month around. Some have higher rent and its included some have it as an added fee. Thats $5 per day. If you live near a building with no parking I can work at a gas station an hour a day ( thats what it would take to find parking) and make $15 so im up $10
You're getting less coherent as the conversation goes on. Suffice it to say, there are plenty of people - young frum couples among them - who make do without some of the luxuries you say put apartment buildings out of the question. If you can't afford a washer/dryer in your apt, you go to the building laundry room or a laundromat. If you can't afford to pay for parking, you park on the street even if it takes up your time and you often have to park a few minutes away.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 08, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
which is why it's the romantic way to go. You don't woo her from your male bachelor perspective

i know...just pointing it out for the uninitiated

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
I lived for five years without W/D or a place to park. We didn't think that was not normal.
Is house living more comfortable, sure. But there are other factors to life
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 08, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »
I lived for five years without W/D or a place to park. We didn't think that was not normal.
Is house living more comfortable, sure. But there are other factors to life
Just because u lived without doesn't make it normal.  In the 1800 no one had cars or cell phones either.  What's ur point.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 08, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
You're getting less coherent as the conversation goes on. Suffice it to say, there are plenty of people - young frum couples among them - who make do without some of the luxuries you say put apartment buildings out of the question. If you can't afford a washer/dryer in your apt, you go to the building laundry room or a laundromat. If you can't afford to pay for parking, you park on the street even if it takes up your time and you often have to park a few minutes away.
W/d is not a luxury.  Sorry.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 08, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Just because u lived without doesn't make it normal.  In the 1800 no one had cars or cell phones either.  What's ur point.
And just because you say it's not normal, doesn't make it so.
W/d is not a luxury.  Sorry.
W/d in your apartment (which clearly the discussion here, as every building has a laundry room - and there are laundromats all over the place - so we're not talking about not having any access to laundry) is absolutely a luxury. Your insistence to the contrary is simply proof that you're a snob.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 08, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »
And just because you say it's not normal, doesn't make it so.W/d in your apartment (which clearly the discussion here, as every building has a laundry room - and there are laundromats all over the place - so we're not talking about not having any access to laundry) is absolutely a luxury. Your insistence to the contrary is simply proof that you're a snob.
Having access to a public w/d is simliar to having access to public transportation.  Do you have a car?

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 08, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »
Having access to a public w/d is simliar to having access to public transportation.  Do you have a car?
Many apts have W/Ds in the apts and the buildings all have.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #733 on: June 08, 2016, 07:25:45 PM »
W/d in your apartment (which clearly the discussion here, as every building has a laundry room - and there are laundromats all over the place - so we're not talking about not having any access to laundry) is absolutely a luxury.

+1

Since when did W/D in apt and assigned parking become a necessity of life?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #734 on: June 08, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
I survived in an apt building without W/D for 3 years. Not the end of the world, though it sure is nice to have a house with attached garage and backyard.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 08, 2016, 07:41:40 PM »
There are a lot of pros to living in a building. I lived in one and I actually enjoyed it. There are building in flatbush that haves shuls in the basements, Oneg's friday nights, ladies shuirim etc.
W/D, most buildings (for sure all frum ones) have in the basement. A lot of landlords allow (or have a dont ask dont tell policy) in the apts. Mice and bugs, you can very easily have in a private house. At least buildings exterminate minimum of once a month. Plus there is no comparison between the living space in buildings vs private. No way are you getting even close to the same square ft.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 08, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
All I know is that this discussion is making me super happy I don't live in NY...can you guys move all this over the "Pros and Cons of Where You Live" thread and add this to all the negatives of NY? For $2000 a month in many OOT cities that's a normal 15 yr mortgage and mice should never be normal so "normal" is definitely relative!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #737 on: June 08, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
All I know is that this discussion is making me super happy I don't live in NY...can you guys move all this over the "Pros and Cons of Where You Live" thread and add this to all the negatives of NY? For $2000 a month in many OOT cities that's a normal 15 yr mortgage and mice should never be normal so "normal" is definitely relative!
2 mortgages in some cities :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 08, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »
2 mortgages in some cities :)

Amen, brother!  How about making your kallah happy by moving to a city where you can have a normal quality of life and financial security?  I'm concerned I happened upon the "adventures in 3rd world travels thread" with discussions of rodents, no laundry, etc...although I guess it's actually more comparable to living in the developing world since you all seem to have consistent hot water and don't have rolling brown outs in NY!  :P

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #739 on: June 08, 2016, 08:01:11 PM »
Why would you need a washer dryer in a wedding night hotel? To fold laundry together? How romantic.
Feelings don't care about your facts