Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 220547 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Iceland Master Thread
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
Anyone ever been to Iceland?

just saw cheap tickets on icelandexpress and was wondering if its kedai
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:19:24 AM by Dan »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Iceland & Greenland Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
If anyone has some info about those places, please post them here.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
Re: Iceland & Greenland Master Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
If anyone has some info about those places, please post them here.
theres a flash sale on jetsetter for the 101 hotel in Iceland. About $100/night
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
Thanks, any idea how to get to greenland without getting ripped off?

None of the 3 alliances flies there.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
Thanks, any idea how to get to greenland without getting ripped off?

None of the 3 alliances flies there.
try Iceland express. They often are the cheapest way between N america & Europe. IDK about greenland though. Also Delta has a jfk-kef flight now.

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
try Iceland express. They often are the cheapest way between N america & Europe. IDK about greenland though. Also Delta has a jfk-kef flight now.
+1. The sometimes have some great transatlantic fares, with a stop in RKV. The fly here from LGW if that helps.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Wrapping up my Iceland and Paris trip tomorrow. Anyone interested in a TR on my 1.5 days in Iceland?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
Anyone interested in a TR on my 1.5 days in Iceland?

Yes please.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »
+2
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
+1

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »
Alrighty I'll try to get it done soon.

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
+2.2
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
Alrighty I'll try to get it done soon.
hopefully sooner than its taking AJK  :P

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »
Please.

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »
+5

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

:D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »

OK, OK, I'll put the first part out :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Ok so here's part 1 of my Iceland TR as promised.

The flight from JFK to KEF went really well. I opted for the 2pm flight which gets you into KEF at about 11pm. There is another flight which leaved at night and arrived early morning. I'm generally not a fan of short red-eyes especially not to start off a vacation with one. We flew with our 3.5 month old daughter and positioned our seats at the window and isle hoping that the middle remained unoccupied but unfortunately someone took the seat. The Iceland air crew really were exceptionally polite and offered to change the individuals seat so that both him and us had a more relaxed flight.

Regarding kosher food in Iceland, your practically out of luck. What was even more of a headache was the fact that the Iceland department of agriculture does not allow more thank 3kg per-person. I was only there for 1.5 days so I didn't reach my limit either way. But its good to note that my bags didn't go through any screening before exiting the airport so I'm not sure exactly if/how this is enforced.

The main city where most of the hotels are is in Reykjavik which is about a 30 minute drive from the airport which is in Keflavik. There is a bus that can take you to a center point in the city and from there you can take a van that will drop you off right at your hotel. I forgot the exact pricing but it wasn't a lot. I believe its cheaper to get a roundtrip ticket for that. Additionally there are a few tour companies that will take you on a variety of excursions also for not too much money, and definitely cheaper than the price of renting a car plus gas which both are insanely expensive in Iceland. I nevertheless still chose to rent a car for the convenience. I rented from Budget for about $145 for 2 days. I got a free upgrade to some Nissan crossover which was awesome. If you have a decent sense of directions you will probably find driving in Iceland to be pretty easy despite the fact that every street sounds about the same.

Something that I found extremely cool was that when we landed at around 11pm the sun had just set and through the summer months it never gets fully dark at night.

The only chain hotel in Iceland is the Hilton Nordica in Reykjavik (by the way its pronounced rey-ka-vik). As a Hilton Gold member I got a room upgrade to a family sized room (which was nice to have with a baby) free internet, as well as access to the executive lounge. Though I wouldn't call the hotel fancy, it was really decent. The lounge had coffee some fruit as well as sodas and a variety of alcoholic beverages (which are complimentary until 7 or 730 so be sure to stock up :)).