Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 226763 times)

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #920 on: August 19, 2022, 01:09:19 PM »
And there's no trail, let alone a bike path. The "trail" past the old Path A (so about 50-60%) is a bunch of sticks every now and then stuck into the rocky ground.
Have they been improving the trail from your last trip?

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #921 on: August 19, 2022, 02:27:41 PM »
Have they been improving the trail from your last trip?

They’re improving it all the time but it’s still a strenuous trek for non regular hikers.

Big part of it is walking through stones and some of the trail part is very steep and slippery.

Make sure to get hiking boots, head lamp if you’re walking back at night, several layers including wind breaker, and a hat. Sticks can help make it easier, bring some food and snacks. It is around 4 mile each way. Make sure you’re rested and check the safetravel.is to make sure it’s open. This week it was closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I just did it last night, it was an amazing experience and very worth it! Just come prepared

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #922 on: August 19, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »
FYI there is no lava visible from the ground as of today. There are indications of a new fissure opening, but right now there's nothing really to see.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 19, 2022, 07:01:53 PM »
FYI there is no lava visible from the ground as of today. There are indications of a new fissure opening, but right now there's nothing really to see.
the volcano is not actively erupting or is the lava flowing in a direction that you cannot access and see from the ground

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #924 on: August 19, 2022, 07:19:59 PM »
the volcano is not actively erupting or is the lava flowing in a direction that you cannot access and see from the ground

The flow decreased and all lava was confined to the inside of the cone.

But that was a few hours ago. As of now the fountaining is back. The volcano is constantly changing...

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2022, 08:57:49 PM »
As, shucks.

See the latest Tremors graph showing the seismic activity at the volcano - it’s been on a sharp and steady decline since this post and many think the eruption is over, if only for now.

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/faf.gif

Livestream:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iKn7ZQBO8Eg

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 25, 2022, 01:29:12 AM »
I’ve got a 3 day trip coming up in September and I’ve got to Re-do my itinerary now that the volcano is dormant again.
Please chime in with your opinions:

Day 1:
Landing Monday 7am
Get camper from BSI, load up any needed supplies in Reykjavik and head out by 12.
Head southeast towards Vik, (maybe make some more stops)
Stop at Black Sand Beach Reynisfjara
Camp at the stunning Ţakgil campsite for the night. Trying to get to bed early as we’ll be wiped from the flight.

Day 2:
Wake up and take the Beach Horseback ride (can also do the evening before) (it’s not the same beach as Reynisfjara)
Head to Jökulsárlón lagoon for the diamond beach and a 4pm Kayak ride, stopping on the way at Svartifoss
After the kayak, start heading back west and get as close Reykjadalur (hot river) and stop to sleep when we get too tired.
• Is this way too much driving for a single day?

Day 3:
Get to Reykjadalur as early as we can so we have higher chances of it being quiet
Drive the rest of the golden circle counterclockwise ending in Reykjavík
Stay at a hotel for our last night

Day 4:
Drop off camper at BSI and make it to our 11:40am flight back home.

Are there any stops that I cannot miss and should add?
If the volcano stays as is, is it worth the half a day to stop there?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #927 on: August 28, 2022, 05:00:58 PM »
I’ve got a 3 day trip coming up in September and I’ve got to Re-do my itinerary now that the volcano is dormant again.
Please chime in with your opinions…

Are there any stops that I cannot miss and should add?
If the volcano stays as is, is it worth the half a day to stop there?
Bump.

I’ve revised it slightly - horseback riding day 1 (skip the other beach) and Kayaking pulled an hour earlier the next day.

Thoughts?

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #929 on: September 12, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
Random: UA doesn't offer KSMLs on flights from KEF.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 30, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm planning a 6-8 day trip to Iceland with my wife in January. Just wanted to get your thoughts and ideas as to what you would recommend regarding where to stay. I've spent longer than I care to admit reading this thread from the last 10 years and it seems that an RV/camper seems to be preferred by many for it's price and simplicity than having to find small inns/hotels all along the route.

On this trip I would like to do the full Ring Road around Iceland maximizing our day trips and activities. Note that since this trip will be in the heart of the winter there will only be 4-5 hours a day of sunlight so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Anyways, I wanted to ask if at this time (January 2023 as opposed to 10 years ago when this thread was first active) a camper van would make the most sense or if you think inns would be a good option as well (I can comfortably drive a manual transmission so that would not make a difference to me as other here have had issues with)?

Also, take into account that there will be a shabbos somewhere along this trip for which we would probably need to be in a hotel of some sort. (Shabbos will start around 11:30AM on Friday and end about 1PM Saturday so there will be plenty of time on "motzaei shabbos" but not much time on Friday.) I haven't booked the tickets yet so I can still have shabbos be towards the beginning or end of our stay rather than in the middle if that makes the most sense.

If we end up going the camper/RV route I might still have to talk my wife into it so if hotels are a realistic option I'd definitely like to at least consider it.

Any recommendations or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #931 on: November 30, 2022, 03:40:29 PM »
A camper is all about flexibility. In the winter, that's extremely useful.

Chabad is absolutely.incredible, I highly suggest you do that for Shabbos.

All that being said, most of the interesting things in the north are inaccessible in the winter, plus that's where you're most likely to run into weather issues. I say save the ring road for the summer and do the south coast in the winter.

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 30, 2022, 05:40:25 PM »
Why is flexibility especially important during the winter (as opposed to the summer)?

Also, if we would just do the South coast how many days would you say we need. Would a week still be preferred or would that be better for a shorter trip?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #933 on: December 13, 2022, 10:37:21 AM »
Well there goes the neighborhood :P

https://worldairlinenews.com/2022/12/13/icelandair-is-coming-to-israel/

Might pave the way for some cheap US-TLV flights though.

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 26, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »
Update: I'm now going to Ireland for 3 nights and 3 days and then to Iceland for 3 nights and 4 days. We're leaving Ireland Sunday morning January 15th and will be in Iceland until Wednesday afternoon January 18th. Basically, we have part of Sunday, full day Monday and Tuesday and then part of Wednesday.

We're renting a camper and staying in the South for the duration of our trip and so far, on our list of sites to see we've got: Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Vik area, Crystal Ice Cave at Jokulsarlon, possibly a volcano. Did I miss anything/are there any other must sees?

Is this doable in our timeframe of Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon? We're going to spend the night before Jokulsarlon in Skaftafell and head to Jokulsarlon first thing in the morning.

We're thinking now to stay in the Reykjavik area Sunday night, do the Blue Lagoon Monday morning and then head out to Vik, stay in Skaftafell Monday night, do Jokulsarlon Tuesday morning and then head back to Reykjavik.

Absent from our itinerary are the Golden Circle and a volcano. Is it reasonable to do the Golden Circle Wednesday morning with a flight back at 5PM? Should we instead leave Reykjavik to Vik Sunday night and do the Blue Lagoon when we get back? Is it worth it to go to a volcano and if so which one? I know Meradalir is the one that erupted most recently but is it better to go somewhere we could go inside the crater?

Also, has anyone been to Iceland in the Winter that knows about the road conditions? This trip involves a lot of driving (and not so much sunlight) - is it dangerous to drive at night because if so that might make this a lot more difficult.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.
TIA

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 28, 2022, 12:42:43 AM »
Also, does anything know if there's a day/time to go to the Blue Lagoon when it would be mostly empty. I've seen some sites saying that the crowds are mostly in middle of the day and you can avoid them by going earlier or later. I generally don't go to public beaches due to the pritzus and would not feel comfortable going to the Lagoon unless my wife and I would be able to go when no one's there or fif it's big enough that there would be an at least semi secluded area where we could stay.

If not, are there other lagoons or geothermic pools where we might have better luck?

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 29, 2022, 08:55:08 AM »
(Shabbos will start around 11:30AM on Friday and end about 1PM Saturday so there will be plenty of time on "motzaei shabbos" but not much time on Friday.)

Ok. Just to clarify for anyone that's reading this thread a couple years down the line and scratching their head ??? - this statement is way off. I for some reason totally misread the zmanim at first. Shabbos in the middle of January starts at about 4 PM and ends around 6 PM.

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:58 PM »
Will a hot logic plugged into an invertor in a camper van blow the fuse? The campeasy website claims that an invertor can only be used for battery powered items..

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 05, 2023, 11:35:05 AM »
Does anyone know of a Silfra Snorkeling tour that will allow my wife to wear a skirt over the drysuit? I reached out to Arctic Adventures and they said she would not be able to for safety reasons.

Offline cyginsberg

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 08, 2023, 10:33:00 AM »
Does anyone know of a Silfra Snorkeling tour that will allow my wife to wear a skirt over the drysuit? I reached out to Arctic Adventures and they said she would not be able to for safety reasons.

For anyone that's interested these are my findings after emailing the following Iceland Tour Companies:

Arctic Adventures - "Unfortunately, it is not allowed to put additional clothing items over the dry suit due to safety reasons.
I am really sorry but it will not be possible for your wife to wear the skirt if she still wants to participate in the tour."

Dive.is -  "We respect all religious observance at DIVE.IS. They however need to be compatible with the activity we offer. I attached the list of equipment we use to this email. The skirt would have to be loose enough to fit over the dry suit, and not cause discomfort for kicking, but also tight enough to not float all around once in the water. To completely fulfil your needs I would recommend you a private tour, you could choose a more private time to avoid the crowd, and you would have a guide just for you that can make sure everything is how you wish to have it. It would be more difficult to respect that on our regular scheduled tours as each guide has to take care of 6 snorkelers in total and groups go in the water one after another. If you feel ready to book a private tour you are welcome to make your request here, and we will do everything we can to accommodate your religious observance."

Troll Expeditions - "This is definitely allowed, your wife can wear the skirt on top of the dry suit. She will have to change into an under suit and dry suit first though which means taking off the skirt for at least a few minutes. I hope that is okay. 
Also, the skirt will get wet of course."

In summary, Arctic Adventures will not allow it; Dive.is seem to say it's ok but it could be complicated so it's easier to book a private tour; Troll Expeditions are more than happy to accommodate and have no issue if someone wants to wear a skirt over the dry suit.