Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 224368 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
They drive six hours every day (basically the same drive every time) but it was not a big deal?
From today's research, it seems like the Volcano and Golden Circle are both less than 45 minutes away from Reykjavik so 2 days of the trip are very close to the city.

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 17, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
From today's research, it seems like the Volcano and Golden Circle are both less than 45 minutes away from Reykjavik so 2 days of the trip are very close to the city.

If you rent a camper just map out an approximate spot as to where you want to stop each night.  When you get tired just find a campground and pull in.  Or, in the alternative, find a remote spot and camp for the night.  You can camp pretty much anywhere in Iceland for a night.

I should also mention that due to the 24 hours of light in the summer, it messes with your internal clock.  I was able to go for a few days with very little sleep and then would just crash.  So you might be able to do way more driving than you think.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:31:38 PM by PBaruch »
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 17, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »
If you rent a camper just map out an approximate spot as to where you want to stop each night.  When you get tired just find a campground and pull in.  Or, in the alternative, find a remote spot and camp for the night.  You can camp pretty much anywhere in Iceland for a night.

I should also mention that due to the 24 hours of light in the summer, it messes with your internal clock.  I was able to go for a few days with very little sleep and then would just crash.  So you might be able to do way more driving than you think.
Interesting point there haha, but I won't bank on it.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 17, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Trust me no one sleeps in Iceland in the summer.  :)  We were driving around at all hours of the night and the farm animals were all up and about and there were birds in the middle of the roadway. 

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #344 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:21 PM »
PB's right. I didn't have this in Iceland (I was there in the winter), but it was a real issue in Alaska. Your body rhythm could get really messed up if you don't keep track of the time.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 17, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
PB's right. I didn't have this in Iceland (I was there in the winter), but it was a real issue in Alaska. Your body rhythm could get really messed up if you don't keep track of the time.

Just sleep when you get back.  I don't sleep on trips.   :)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 18, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
Talking about not sleeping at night, they call NY "the city that never sleeps" but I gotta say, Havana is really the city that never sleeps. All hours of the night that place is rocking like it's middle of the afternoon.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 18, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
We davened mincha close to midnight when we were there and there was still plenty of time until shkia

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 18, 2016, 04:56:52 PM »
Okay, I believe I have compiled my list of activities based on the wiki, thread, TRs, my friend's trip, and TripAdvisor (FWIW). I'm not saying I can possibly come close to all these activities in a 4-5 day summer trip, but I wanted to list all possibilities. I have broken them down by general area. My first request is to please let me know if I am missing any activities worth doing. Secondly, why can't the first "area" be done while staying at a hotel in Reykjavik for 1-2 nights and then renting the RV to do the 2nd area?

Area 1 - Greater Reykjavik Area - West to Central Iceland
- Thrihnukagigur Volcano: go inside the volcano, 30 min. from REK
- The Blue Lagoon: hot springs in REK (get access to more private lagoon if stay at hotel)
- Golden Circle: all day, first stop is 30 min. from REK
   ~ Thingvellir National Park: tectonic rift, snorkeling in the Silfra fissure
   ~ Haukadalur Valley: Strokkur geyser
   ~ Gullfoss Waterfall
   ~ Kerid Crater Lake
- Langjokull Glacier: jeep tour onto glacier, ice cave tour - Google Maps doesn't have a route to get here. Can't tell how far this is from REK, but it's definitely not in Area 2

Area 2 - Road to Jokulsarlon - Southwest to Southeast Iceland
- Vik: Reynisfjara black sand beach, salt seastacks, lupine flower field
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Sólheimajökull Glacier: hike/climb glacier with ice picks
- Skogafoss Waterfall
- Fjadrargljufur Canyon
- Vesturhorn Mountain
- Jokulsarlon (Vatnajokull National Park): zodiac boat tour, ice cave tour
- Skaftafell Campground: hike to Svartifoss Waterfall. From this campground, they lead tours where you can walk on the glacier - FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THAT.

I have basically ruled out the activities below. Area 3 seems to require its own day and is *just* to see 2 more waterfalls.

Area 3 - Northwest Iceland
- Kirkjufell Mountain and Waterfall
- Dynjandi Waterfall

Random
(Ring Road: including Dettifoss Waterfall and Godafoss Waterfall but it's too long for this trip)
(Skallafell: dog sledding, but that can be done in places other than Iceland)
(Snowmobiling on a glacier, but can be done in places other than Iceland)
(Laugardalur Swimming Pool: not interested)

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 18, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
When we went, we didn't really have it as planned out. We drove along that main road that's on the south and just stopped at whatever looks cool. We followed along in the book and that definitely helped us. There are a lot of cool things to see and I don't think we missed much.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #350 on: February 18, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »
Okay, I believe I have compiled my list of activities based on the wiki, thread, TRs, my friend's trip, and TripAdvisor (FWIW). I'm not saying I can possibly come close to all these activities in a 4-5 day summer trip, but I wanted to list all possibilities. I have broken them down by general area. My first request is to please let me know if I am missing any activities worth doing. Secondly, why can't the first "area" be done while staying at a hotel in Reykjavik for 1-2 nights and then renting the RV to do the 2nd area? It absolutely can.

Area 1 - Greater Reykjavik Area - West to Central Iceland
- Thrihnukagigur Volcano: go inside the volcano, 30 min. from REK
- The Blue Lagoon: hot springs in REK (get access to more private lagoon if stay at hotel) Tourist trap IMNSHO, rather find a small local place in one of the little towns along the south coast. <Ducks and runs from PBaruch>
- Golden Circle: all day, first stop is 30 min. from REK
   ~ Thingvellir National Park: tectonic rift, snorkeling in the Silfra fissure
   ~ Haukadalur Valley: Strokkur geyser
   ~ Gullfoss Waterfall
   ~ Kerid Crater Lake
- Langjokull Glacier: jeep tour onto glacier, ice cave tour - Google Maps doesn't have a route to get here. Can't tell how far this is from REK, but it's definitely not in Area 2 See where the tour meets up and use that as the location.

Area 2 - Road to Jokulsarlon - Southwest to Southeast Iceland
- Vik: Reynisfjara black sand beach, salt seastacks, lupine flower field
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Sólheimajökull Glacier: hike/climb glacier with ice picks
- Skogafoss Waterfall
- Fjadrargljufur Canyon Incredible place, kills me that we couldn't make it there (crazy story, will be in the TR soon).
- Vesturhorn Mountain IMO not worth it unless you're a photographer.
- Jokulsarlon (Vatnajokull National Park): zodiac boat tour, ice cave tour They do ice caves in the summer? Also save time for the beaches there.
- Skaftafell Campground: hike to Svartifoss Waterfall. From this campground, they lead tours where you can walk on the glacier - FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THAT.

I have basically ruled out the activities below. Area 3 seems to require its own day and is *just* to see 2 more waterfalls. Smart.

Area 3 - Northwest Iceland
- Kirkjufell Mountain and Waterfall
- Dynjandi Waterfall

Random
(Ring Road: including Dettifoss Waterfall and Godafoss Waterfall but it's too long for this trip) Yup.
(Skallafell: dog sledding, but that can be done in places other than Iceland)
(Snowmobiling on a glacier, but can be done in places other than Iceland)
(Laugardalur Swimming Pool: not interested)

Looks pretty good so far; see in red above for some comments.

The Eyjafjallajokull visitors center is also worth a short stop.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 18, 2016, 06:36:29 PM »
When we went, we didn't really have it as planned out. We drove along that main road that's on the south and just stopped at whatever looks cool. We followed along in the book and that definitely helped us. There are a lot of cool things to see and I don't think we missed much.
What book did you use? Also, we clearly have different ways of approaching trips. :)

Looks pretty good so far; see in red above for some comments.

Thank you!! Glad you agree about staying in REK for a few nights. I'll have to see the prices of a rental to make sure it's worth it vs renting the RV for the whole time.

- Didn't know there are other hot springs you can go into. Will research those. I'd love to avoid the 50eur lagoon and especially the 350eur hotel.
- Good idea for the Langjokull Glacier location. Although, it seems like the jeep tours might be out of our budget. PBaruch what jeep tour did you take?
- Regarding ice cakes at Langjokull and Jokulsarlon, I have to re-research that to see if they run the tours in the summer. As an aside, I interestingly found out that it seems like dogsledding rides are not available in August. Not sure why exactly.
- Vesturhorn would be something we would stop by only if we're bored in the area anyway.
- Are the Jokulsarlon beaches black sand? Are they so necessary if we'll possibly stop by Reynisfjara black sand beach? And even more so - if we've already seen black sand in Hawaii...?

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »
We booked through Extreme Iceland and selected a "Private Super Jeep - Langjokull Glacier" tour.  Cost was 150k ISK (under 1200 USD) for an all day tour.

Tip:  If you intend to do this particular tour, you can camp out by Thingvellir National Park and have the guide pick you up from there.

The Jokulsarlon beach does have black sand.  You will likely see icebergs on the black sand beach.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:45:23 PM by PBaruch »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »
Google is not helping explain why this is worth a short stop. To see the information inside?

We booked through Extreme Iceland and selected a "Private Super Jeep - Langjokull Glacier" tour.  Cost was 150k ISK (under 1200 USD) for an all day tour.

Tip:  If you intend to do this particular tour, you can camp out by Thingvellir National Park and have the guide pick you up from there.

The Jokulsarlon beach does have black sand.  You will likely see icebergs on the black sand beach.
Thank you! I actually saw it on that site and that price range. Might be out of our budget especially since we're just 2 people and it looks like you might need to rent out the whole jeep. Hopefully we'll get to do the ice pick hike and maybe a walking on the glacier hike, so those experiences will have to hold us over for now.

Thanks for the info on the beach. I guess we'll see if we have time/are interested in seeing more than 1 of them.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2016, 01:22:45 AM »
- Vesturhorn would be something we would stop by only if we're bored in the area anyway.

I'll give you the Something Fishy guarantee that that won't happen 8).

If you do decide to go, keep in mind that Verturhorn is over an hour past Jokulsarlon. If you're going that far, I'd say go another 20 minutes further and check out the incredible Laekjavik Coast instead. Doing both doesn't make much sense, as Vesturhorn to Laekjavik is 45 minutes (look at the distances chart in my TR to see how this timing math works out).

- Are the Jokulsarlon beaches black sand? Are they so necessary if we'll possibly stop by Reynisfjara black sand beach? And even more so - if we've already seen black sand in Hawaii...?

Once you see the upcoming part of my TR you won't have this question anymore... Here's a tiny teaser, of something you won't see on an Hawaiian beach:

So yes, the beaches are an absolute must-do, especially as your'e there already anyways (one parking lot for the lagoon and beaches).

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
Wow, that's an insane picture! You have me sold. Good to know it's in the same place as the glacier. Do you still recommend stopping at the Reynisfjara beach? Or this one is "enough"?

Thanks for the info about Vesturhorn. I'll read through your distance chart - I forgot you put together that awesome post. I imagine we won't go that far past Jokulsarlon.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2016, 07:58:33 AM »
From this morning's research, this is the cheapest automatic camper I can find. It's not too pretty on the inside, but from among ~10 sites, there were only a few that had 2 people automatic campers, and they were much cheaper than the others at about $150 a day. I also did a bit of research into a regular car rental if I were to split the trip with a hotel/car for half and camper for half, but I couldn't find anything cheaper than $90 so far, and the campers all have a minimum of 3 day rentals, so it seems like it's gotta be a camper for the whole trip

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
Do you still recommend stopping at the Reynisfjara beach? Or this one is "enough"?

Do both, it's worth it.

Offline foseph

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
Do both, it's worth it.
When u say both u mean also beach at jokulsarlon?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
When u say both u mean also beach at jokulsarlon?

Correct, Reynisfjara and Jokulsarlon.