Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 220624 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #580 on: November 15, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »
Way to continue the stereotype of entitled Jews. The tone of that letter is nasty and condescending. That was the wrong way to go about it.
+1

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 15, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
Curious where they mention that they offer Ksml? Show me one source. Why should they be penalized for your bad assumption.

Offline Moes Tavern

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #582 on: November 15, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
Way to continue the stereotype of entitled Jews. The tone of that letter is nasty and condescending. That was the wrong way to go about it.
+1
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #583 on: November 15, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
I just sent this email to Iceland air, let's see what their response will be.

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxx xxxxx. My wife and I have booked a flight to Iceland departing Jan 9 2018 (xxxxxx) with your airline.

My wife and I are Orthodox Jews. As part of our travel itinerary, we always pre-order a Kosher meal.

Unfortunately, when we attempted to order a KSML (Kosher meal), we were told that Iceland Air does not offer this meal option. While it wouldn’t be a big deal on a short flight, traveling 5.5 hours is a different story.

I was surprised because this has never happened before

In fact, what makes this more surprising is the fact that other airlines that do fly to Iceland offer Kosher meals. Examples of those airlines include United Airlines, Lufthansa, Britishairways, and Delta.

If I had known that you don’t offer KSML, I surely would’ve booked my flight with one of the airlines that do.

While it is too late for me to cancel my reservation, it is not too late for others.

The Rabbi in Iceland who I contacted was equally surprised since many people who eat kosher travel to Iceland. As a result, he told me that when asked, he will tell people who contact him to book their flight with a different airline.

Therefore I strongly recommend that you begin to offer KSML as a meal option for all your customers.

Thank you,

xxxxxxx

Super-entitled prick.

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 15, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »

Since when is a recommendation consider as an Way to continue the stereotype of entitled Jews? And what part of the letter is nasty?

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
Curious where they mention that they offer Ksml? Show me one source. Why should they be penalized for your bad assumption.

Where do you see a request to be penalized in this post?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 15, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
I just sent this email to Iceland air, let's see what their response will be.

To whom it may concern,

My name is xxxx xxxxx. My wife and I have booked a flight to Iceland departing Jan 9 2018 (xxxxxx) with your airline.

My wife and I are Orthodox Jews. As part of our travel itinerary, we always pre-order a Kosher meal.

Unfortunately, when we attempted to order a KSML (Kosher meal), we were told that Iceland Air does not offer this meal option. While it wouldn’t be a big deal on a short flight, traveling 5.5 hours is a different story.

I was surprised because this has never happened before

In fact, what makes this more surprising is the fact that other airlines that do fly to Iceland offer Kosher meals. Examples of those airlines include United Airlines, Lufthansa, Britishairways, and Delta.

If I had known that you don’t offer KSML, I surely would’ve booked my flight with one of the airlines that do.

While it is too late for me to cancel my reservation, it is not too late for others.

The Rabbi in Iceland who I contacted was equally surprised since many people who eat kosher travel to Iceland. As a result, he told me that when asked, he will tell people who contact him to book their flight with a different airline.

Therefore I strongly recommend that you begin to offer KSML as a meal option for all your customers.

Thank you,

xxxxxxx
I just received this email by mistake. I assume it was meant for you.
To whom it obviously deeply concerns,

My name is xxxx xxxxx. You and your wife have booked a flight to Iceland departing Jan 9 2018 (xxxxxx) with our airline.

You are super entitled. As part of your travel itinerary, you always look out for things to complain about. In this case we didn’t offer the option to pre-order a Kosher meal. Although even if we would have, we would still receive your email complaining about the quality.

Unfortunately, when you attempted to order a KSML (Kosher meal), we realized we just don’t care enough to cater to you. While it might be a big deal on a full day flight, traveling 5.5 hours is a different story and a simple sandwich you pick up prior for under $10 will be infinitely better than any of our offerings.

I was surprised that you even took the time out of your day to complain about a meal that you would just push around with your fork before returning it still complete back to the attendant.

We are aware of the fact that other airlines that do fly to Iceland offer Kosher meals. Examples of those airlines include United Airlines, Lufthansa, Britishairways, and Delta. But we aren’t them. We don’t drag you off the plane (although we may want to), provoke Godwin's law, charge you ludicrous fees, or devalue your award points twice daily. Noone is perfect (You would know that) and we all have our faults.

If you had known that we don’t offer KSML, you surely would’ve booked still booked the exact flight that you did. Because face it, you didn’t book us for luxury or fine dining. You booked us because we were the cheapest and or most convenient option for you.

It is not late too cancel your reservation, you can still dispute it with your credit card provider as we didn’t supply you with a full service as per your demands which we never were aware we needed to cater to.

The Rabbi in Iceland who you contacted was equally not surprised since there isn’t even enough demand in a country with 2 million tourists and residents to sustain services of any kind year-round. As a result, he can tell the 3 people who contact him to book their flight with a different airline.

Therefore I strongly recommend that you pick more important crusades to rally againt.

Góða daginn,Tjallar

xxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:46:48 PM by Emkay »

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 15, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »

Since when is a reasonable accommodation considered as a form of entitlement?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 15, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
LOL
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
Honestly if you would have just written your letter asking nicely for KSML, no one would have been offended. But your condescending, threatening tone is just silly

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 15, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
Nice

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #591 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:23 PM »

Congratulations. You, sir, have won the internets for today

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 15, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »

Since when do you decide what is reasonable?

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Since when do you decide what is reasonable?

Since United Airlines, Lufthansa, Britishairways, and Delta are offering KSML...

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Since United Airlines, Lufthansa, Britishairways, and Delta are offering KSML...
Which they all advertise to do on their website. You didn’t do your research. That’s your problem - don’t make a chilul hashem over it.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
http://www.icelandair.co.uk/information/on-board/meals/. They make it clear what options they offer (at a cost)

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
oooooh great point!!
next time i use my amex card at staples i will write a nasty letter demanding that they give me 5x points since i get 5x on my ink card!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Yoel1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 16, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
oooooh great point!!
next time i use my amex card at staples i will write a nasty letter demanding that they give me 5x points since i get 5x on my ink card!

Where do you see a request to provide free kosher food or 5 x points??
I am merely asking / recommending that they should offer the option of purchasing kosher food on board just like other major airlines.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
I am merely asking / recommending that they should offer the option of purchasing kosher food on board just like other major airlines.
You are saying company a does x therefore company b should. I'm saying the same thing. Oh and since company b does it I am entitled to get it. From a too.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 16, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
You are not merely asking or recommending. You are threatening. If you would have politely said, "other airlines offer kosher food, can you please do the same" no one would have freaked out. Your condescending, threatening, entitled tone is what sets you apart