Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 220494 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #620 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
Got it. Being that I will probably be crucified for suggesting skipping the BL, I'm thinking we can probably do both on Friday. Gunnuhver is only 20 minutes from BL, so we can go there after and then head to Reykjavik.
I definitely like your Monday plan better than mine, I felt like I was wasting time. If I stick Gunnuhver in on Friday, and far nicer waterfalls on Monday, I can get away with skipping the 'basic sights' of Geysir and Gullfoss.

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like a good plan all around.

Enjoy!
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
I've been having second thoughts on missing so much in the south. Option 2 would mean much more driving time, probably a way less decent Airbnb (provided I can find one), and spending Shabbos in a random town as opposed to Reykjavik.
If you've been to both, please weigh in on if it's worth the cons of going to the south.

Option #1 - Southwest Iceland

Friday:
Land in KEF at 6:15 AM.
Rent car
Head to the Blue Lagoon for sunrise.
Gunnuhver Hot Springs
Drive to Reykjavik and settle in Airbnb for Shabbos
Sunset: 5:19 PM

Saturday Night:
Go out and chase the Northern Lights

Sunday:
Snowmobiling on Langjökull Glacier
Man-made ice tunnel in Langjökull
Ţingvellir / Snorkeling in Silfra

Monday:
Seljalandsfoss
Gljufrabui
Head back to KEF with leisurely route, stopping along the way for scenic locations
Return car and catch 5 PM flight

Option #2 - South Iceland

Friday:
Land in KEF at 6:15 AM.
Rent car
Head to the Blue Lagoon for sunrise.
Gunnuhver Hot Springs
Drive to an Airbnb as far east as I can find (so far it's only been Hella)
Sunset: 5:19 PM

Saturday Night:
Go out and chase the Northern Lights

Sunday:
Jokulsarlon
Zodiac Boat Tour
Vatnajokull Glacier Ice Cave Tour
Dog Sledding if I can find in the area

Monday:
Seljalandsfoss
Gljufrabui
Head back to KEF with not so leisurely route, stopping along the way for scenic locations
Return car and catch 5 PM flight

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #622 on: December 04, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
What time is sunrise when you're there?

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 04, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
Approx 10 AM

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 04, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
Update: it doesn't look like the Zodiac Boat Tour is available in the winter.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 04, 2017, 07:45:02 PM »
Paging @Something Fishy please help! Can't make up my mind.
From what I can gather:

Pros of Option 1: be at a more leisurely pace all around. Much less travel time. Opportunity for nicer house. Can be in Reykjavik for Shabbos

Cons of Option 1: Will miss out on amazing scenery, will not see any ice caves or black sand beaches.

Pros of Option 2: Will  see amazing sights such as Jokulsarlon, black sand beaches, ice caves etc.

Cons of Option 2: Much more travel time, more rushed in general. Probably will have a not as decent house.  Will miss out on Reykjavik and snorkeling in Silfra between tetonic plates

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:48:29 PM by ponash123 »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #626 on: December 04, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Paging @Something Fishy please help! Can't make up my mind.

Option 1.

Option 2 is physically impossible; you can't be at Jukulsarlon for a 10 o'clock sunrise and at Keflavik for a 5pm flight, end of story. Leave the further things for a second visit, maybe in the summer.

If you want to see black beaches, you could do that at the Vestmannaeyjar ferry landing, down the short road opposite Seljalandsfoss.

One other suggestion, but this will be one heck of a long day: Skip the man-made tunnel on Sunday (why see something fake in this land of natural wonders?), and make a seriously early night. Leave Reykjavik waaay early, and arrive at Vik for sunrise. Watch sunrise from Reynisfjara Beach (black sand, incredible formations, intensely beautiful sunrises), then make your slow way back west, continuing as per your original Option 1 itinerary.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 04, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »
You mistook Sunday for Monday, I wouldn't be at Jokulsarlon and KEF the same day. I was planning on finding a house somewhere in the middle, possibly Skogar.

That being said, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Option 2 is way too much travel in too little time and I just don't think it justifies it.

Thanks for the Vik idea. That might be a good option.

Really appreciate the help!! For some reason I'm having a way harder time planning this short little trip, than I did with 10 day trips.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »
Correct, I see that I misread your second option. Regardless,

Option 2 is way too much travel in too little time and I just don't think it justifies it.

Really appreciate the help!! For some reason I'm having a way harder time planning this short little trip, than I did with 10 day trips.

Pleasure.

I think the reason it's so difficult is that there is so much to do and so little time. a 10-day trip to Iceland would be heaven.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2017, 11:26:49 PM »
One other suggestion, but this will be one heck of a long day: Skip the man-made tunnel on Sunday (why see something fake in this land of natural wonders?), and make a seriously early night. Leave Reykjavik waaay early, and arrive at Vik for sunrise. Watch sunrise from Reynisfjara Beach (black sand, incredible formations, intensely beautiful sunrises), then make your slow way back west, continuing as per your original Option 1 itinerary.

Actually really excited about this idea. I think combines enough of both options. Who needs sleep anyways

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #630 on: December 04, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »
Actually really excited about this idea. I think combines enough of both options. Who needs sleep anyways

Well that's Iceland ;D:

We just woke up, crashed after being up 39 hours straight.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 04, 2017, 11:39:24 PM »
Precisely

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 05, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
Ok, my turns for 2 cents.

I don't think you're doing nearly enough on Friday, and you can do more on Monday as the 2 falls take 30-60 minutes max. In option 1, I think you're doing way too much on Sunday. Bear in mind that all these tours have set times, usually run for a few hours and aren't always right next to each other, which means it's really hard to do 2 in 1 day, let alone 3. In option 2, if there really are no boat rides in Jokulsarlon or Fjallsarlon, then I'm not sure it's worth schlepping all that far just to spend a few minutes gawking at the icebergs. The boat ride adds a nice activity to the area and makes the trip worth it. I also don't see the benefit of being in REK for Shabbos, not like there's anything Jewish there, but I guess you could stroll around town? Anyway, here's my suggestion for another idea to consider...

Friday:
KEF to Silfra, looks like 10:30 is the earliest snorkel time, so you can technically visit Geyser/Gulfoss on the way, but more interestingly might be to see the Bridge Between Continents near KEF (which is actually near Gunnuvher). Then go to Secret Lagoon for half the price of Blue Lagoon - convince your peeps that they're crazy especially since you'll take them here. Airbnb... somewhere.

Motzai Shabbos:
Northern Lights (if you don't see them, you'll want to keep trying each night)

Sunday: Seljalandsfoss, Gljufrabui to start the day. Then another reason why it's okay to skip Blue Lagoon - hike to Seljavallalaug hot pool. Then find some activity/tour on Langjokull Glacier - ice walk/climb, snowmobiling or dogsledding.

Monday: Reynifsjara Black Sand Beach, maybe find some ice cave? head back to KEF. (If timing doesn't work, you can do Reynifsjara Sunday afternoon and save Langjokull to start Monday morning.)

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 05, 2017, 10:34:53 PM »
Ok, my turns for 2 cents.

I don't think you're doing nearly enough on Friday, and you can do more on Monday as the 2 falls take 30-60 minutes max. In option 1, I think you're doing way too much on Sunday. Bear in mind that all these tours have set times, usually run for a few hours and aren't always right next to each other, which means it's really hard to do 2 in 1 day, let alone 3. In option 2, if there really are no boat rides in Jokulsarlon or Fjallsarlon, then I'm not sure it's worth schlepping all that far just to spend a few minutes gawking at the icebergs. The boat ride adds a nice activity to the area and makes the trip worth it. I also don't see the benefit of being in REK for Shabbos, not like there's anything Jewish there, but I guess you could stroll around town? Anyway, here's my suggestion for another idea to consider...

Friday:
KEF to Silfra, looks like 10:30 is the earliest snorkel time, so you can technically visit Geyser/Gulfoss on the way, but more interestingly might be to see the Bridge Between Continents near KEF (which is actually near Gunnuvher). Then go to Secret Lagoon for half the price of Blue Lagoon - convince your peeps that they're crazy especially since you'll take them here. Airbnb... somewhere.

Motzai Shabbos:
Northern Lights (if you don't see them, you'll want to keep trying each night)

Sunday: Seljalandsfoss, Gljufrabui to start the day. Then another reason why it's okay to skip Blue Lagoon - hike to Seljavallalaug hot pool. Then find some activity/tour on Langjokull Glacier - ice walk/climb, snowmobiling or dogsledding.

Monday: Reynifsjara Black Sand Beach, maybe find some ice cave? head back to KEF. (If timing doesn't work, you can do Reynifsjara Sunday afternoon and save Langjokull to start Monday morning.)

Thanks for your input.

Just mapped this out and I don't think it works. Friday we don't have enough time to do snorkeling and Secret Lagoon.
Sunday would be going in complete opposite directions. Down south to Seljalandsfoss and then back up north to Langjokull and than back west to Reykjavik for the night.
Then on Monday back down southeast to Reynifsjara.

I know Sunday will be busy, but I'm working with the tour operators to make sure timing works. I think it's the best bet.
There are no Zodiac Boat Tours in the winter, and the only ice caves are much further east in Jokulsarlon or Vatnajokull.

I don't specifically want to be in Rekjavik for Shabbos. But in Option 2 it would mean finding an Airbnb out in the middle of nowhere which doesn't excite me, firstly because of the roads in the winter, and secondly, for safety reasons.

We have basically settled on Option 3, which is Option 1, but Monday will go down to Reynifsjara for sunrise and then continue west towards KEF with stops in Seljalandsfoss etc on the way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:54:26 PM by ponash123 »

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 06, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
I see you're pretty settled on your itin, but to answer some points you made...

1) Your reason to stay in a big city makes sense, so then I agree my Friday itin won't work. But, for one who stayed at a random area near the eastern side of the Golden Circle, it could work.
2) My tour on Langjokull was actually scheduled to meet on the southern ring road, not near where Gmaps has Langjokull, so it actually was very close to Seljalandsfoss. Be sure to check where you meeting points are. And I never recommended going back to REK that night. Your Shabbos Airbnb should not be where you stay on Sat night (unless you find Northern Lights so close to REK) nor on Sunday - would be silly to go all the way back to REK each night. Find a cheap hotel if no Airbnbs. And don't be scared of roads to the Airbnb in the winter, you'll be driving on them anyway to get to these activities... easier to drive a few more minutes on them to an Airbnb than a few hours getting back to REK.
3) Do try to get Seljavallalaug into your itin. If it was that amazing in the summer, I can only imagine what it would be like sitting in a natural hot tub among snow-covered mountains.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 06, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Well I only went back and forth 20 times, so I think need to stop now or it will never end!
The end of my snorkeling will probably be getting dark out, which is not perfect, but doesn't bother me too much.
1. Yes. Ideally, I would pitch a tent or stay anywhere I can find :) Gotta do what I gotta do.
2. It seems that everything works very differently in the winter. The meeting point for snowmobiling is not at all near the south. It's northeast from Reykjavik in Húsafell, which is north to the glacier, as opposed to the south which is the summer meeting point. So it wouldn't work.
    Technically, it doesn't make sense to drive back and forth. But in our case, we're a large (some slow-moving) crowd and I don't think it's worth the hassle of switching locations.
3. Would love to, if we have time on Monday. It looks like it's on the route I plan to take.

Thank you!

Offline DoubleU

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 25, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
HI, thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to Iceland in February for nearly 3 days.
landing tuesday morning 6am, departure is thursday 5pm

Tuesday- Golden circle.

Wednesday- guided tour $350 and they take you to skogafoss waterfall, Reynisfjara black beach, Glacier Lagoon, Crystal Beach, Ice caving, Seljalandsfoss waterfall then back to Reykjavik.

Thursday- attractions close to the airport

Does anyone object to this plan?
Did anyone rent a 4x4 in the winter? do i have to request any special tires?

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
I rented a 4x4 vehicle for February from Blue Car Rental and it comes with winter tires (all their cars do for the winter months)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #638 on: December 25, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
Wednesday- guided tour $350 and they take you to skogafoss waterfall, Reynisfjara black beach, Glacier Lagoon, Crystal Beach, Ice caving, Seljalandsfoss waterfall then back to Reykjavik.

Sorry, this is crazy. You have around 12 hours of driving here. You'll be too tired to see or do anything, let alone stuff in practically all of the south coast's attractions. And this is all with about 8 hours of daylight...

And not to mention that you can do all this for free, besides for the ice caving. The very fact that you have "Crystal Beach" listed there shows that this is itinerary is designed for unwary tourists - there's no such place, it's just the beach at the glacier lagoon (Jokulsarlon). It's a little thing, but giving it an exotic-sounding English name just to lure tourists in disingenuous in my book.

To see Jokulsarlon normally you need to overnight in Vik, or better yet, Hof or a similar guesthouse. You can't do it as a day trip from Reykjavik.

Regarding a rental, there's no need for a 4x4, although it will fare better if you have bad weather. Same as back home, really.

All cars from legit rental places will have winter tires (they're required by law). Make sure to do your research, as unfortunately many Icelandic car rentals are notorious for being horrible.

Offline eljay07

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:58 AM »
@Something Fishy @yehuda - Any advice on best northern lights hunting experiences/options if planning to go mid-February?  Thanks.