Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
PBaruch: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=60568.0
Aurora, Storms, and Snowpants: An Icelandic Saga by Something Fishy, whYME, and ChAiM'l
@Yehuda
BrachaB
Ponash123

Airlines that fly to Iceland direct from NY:
1. Iceland Air
2. Delta
3. Wow Air
4. United (May 23 - Oct 4)

Hotels in the Reykjavik Area:
1. 101 Hotel (supposedly one of the best spas in Iceland)
2. Ion (set on a lava field and one of Iceland's newest luxury hotels)
3. Hotel Ranga
4. Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (provides exclusive access to a private lagoon for hotel guests only)
5. Radisson BLU 1919 (Can use Club carlson points and in the middle of town) Will warm and store food for a nominal fee.

Camper/RV Rentals:
There are several places where you can rent a camper truck or motorhome, including here:  http://www.campericeland.is/

Campgrounds:
The campgrounds in Iceland are large and never feel crowded.  Many offer excellent facilities and amenities.  You can drive in at any time of the day or night and pay the nominal fee whenever the office opens.

Kosher Food:
Kosher food is pretty much non existent in Iceland.  Even many American brands do not have a hechsher.  Some foods that have been found with a hechsher are Cheerios Cereal, Nature Valley Granola Bars, and Powerade.  That being said, several DDF members have been able to bring in kosher food/meat without being checked or stopped.  Just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Random tip of the day: if you are in the Reykjavik area and need to heat up a meal but don't have easy access to an oven, the Ikea food court has an oven for guest use. Right side, near the sandwich and pastry checkout.

Tons of great seating as well. (HT: SomethingFishy)

Language
Most of the populace speaks English and children are taught English starting in the sixth grade.  It is rare but you might find some older folks that do not speak English.

Communications:
The Iceland Air Saga shop sells starter Síminn branded sim cards for a nominal amount.  If you order in advance, they will even deliver the sim cards to you on your Icelandair flight (one of the cheapest options to get a starter sim card).  You can also find stores in the airport that sell sim cards.  Vodafone is the other major carrier in Iceland and also sells sim cards.  You can purchase the Saga Shop sim starter here:

http://www.sagashop.net/men/detail/?id=57860-0009

GPS - Navigation
Garmin Nordic Maps includes Iceland and can be purchased here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BS4Q3I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Voltage
Iceland uses 220v.  Most cell phones, cameras and laptops come with a multi switching power supply (verify by looking at power supply) so you will only need to buy a cheap adapter such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Currency/Credit Cards
Credit cards are almost universally accepted in Iceland.  As a result, you may find no need to exchange currency for the Icelandic Kroner (ISK).  If you use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees, you should be set.  If you do decide to exchange currency, there are ATM machines in the airport right outside customs.

Activities:
1.  The Golden Circle Tour is very popular and takes you to Geysir (lame compared to Yellowstone), Gulfoss Waterfalls, and Thingvellir (where the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian Plates can be clearly seen in the cracks or faults which traverse the region.  You can dive in a lake and touch both plates). 

2.  Inside the volcano tour to Thrihnukagigur Volcano.  In this tour, you either hike ( a few kilometers) or take a helicopter charter from the Reykjavik airport to the volcano.  Once there, you are lowered by a construction type lift into the magma chamber.  The least expensive way to get a semi private tour of the magma chamber is with the helicopter, which takes you there in between the regularly scheduled tours.

3.  There are various Super Jeep Tours (vans and SUV's with tractor tires), including a tour to Langjokull Glacier, where you drive onto the glacier.  Private tours can be arranged.

4. Jokulsarlon - a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland, on the edge of Vatnajokull National Park.  Here, you can take a duck boat tour or a zodiac boat tour of the lake where you will see icebergs, seals, and various birds.  Across the road from Jokulsarlon is a black sand beach where you can see icebergs on the beach.

5. The Blue Lagoon - the public lagoon gets very crowded and if you go it is recommended to get there when they open.  If you can manage a stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel (currently 15 rooms but they are expanding to 30 rooms) you will get exclusive access to the private lagoon for hotel guests only.  Since there are only 15 rooms at present, the private lagoon rarely has more than a handful of people in it at any time. Most people do not make a full day out of the Blue Lagoon and instead go on your arrival into Iceland or upon departure before the airport. All the Bus lines have stops to and from the airport. 3-4 hours is ample time.

6. Waterfalls abound including Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss.

7. Dog sledding in Skallafell.

8. Icelandic Horses - Horse back riding is extremely popular in Iceland. Most residents actually own a horse. Iceland is the only place in the world where you will find the Icelandic horse. It has 5 Gaits oppose to the 3 that most other horses have. They are gentle animals and very comfortable to ride.
« Last edited by yelped on June 21, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »

Author Topic: Iceland Master Thread  (Read 224346 times)

Offline eandd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Iceland Master Thread
« Reply #700 on: December 27, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
What time of year?  If winter, probably fine.  In summer, you'll want to go out to Jokulsarlon, and that's a good six hour drive each way.  I'd allocate a bit more time for the summer.
Actually opposite, I would allocate more time for winter when there is less daylight.
However, I just got back from a 4 day/3 night trip (trip report coming soon!) And had an AMAZING time. If you can, aim to spend a little longer; although we saw a lot, there was so much we didn't have time for. Again, a big factor was the early sunset.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 23, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
im looking at visiting iceland for four days primarily to alleviate skin conditions which blue lagoon is touted as amazing for . im wondering if secret lagoon has same healing properties? also, although i would love to stay on site at retreat hotel, it is ridiculously expensive .anyone have experience or reviews of hotels nearby? i understand that most trip reports here are regarding lots of tours and sightseeing and of course i would love to do that too but i dont think there would be time to do both so any suggestions and help would be much appreciated
eta: hoping to travel in march
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
Beautiful, but...

"This iconic display was so enthralling that the photographer's mother ran out to see it and was captured in the foreground."

Why do they even bother? No one is buying it.
44/50, 46/63

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
im looking at visiting iceland for four days primarily to alleviate skin conditions which blue lagoon is touted as amazing for . im wondering if secret lagoon has same healing properties? also, although i would love to stay on site at retreat hotel, it is ridiculously expensive .anyone have experience or reviews of hotels nearby? i understand that most trip reports here are regarding lots of tours and sightseeing and of course i would love to do that too but i dont think there would be time to do both so any suggestions and help would be much appreciated
eta: hoping to travel in march
I think the only commonalities between the Blue Lagoon and Secret Lagoon is that they're warm.  Even if you don't stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic, you can still pay to use the public Blue Lagoon.  Staying at the Clinic itself, if you can swing it, will be a better experience, and they have an indoor area.  While there, I noticed they had posted some research on the wall. I may have photographed it, will check and see if it's relevant.

Check out PBaruch's TR; he mentions a place to stay that's not far.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
I think the only commonalities between the Blue Lagoon and Secret Lagoon is that they're warm.  Even if you don't stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic, you can still pay to use the public Blue Lagoon.  Staying at the Clinic itself, if you can swing it, will be a better experience, and they have an indoor area.  While there, I noticed they had posted some research on the wall. I may have photographed it, will check and see if it's relevant.

Check out PBaruch's TR; he mentions a place to stay that's not far.
would love to see the research it you find it tx! Will check out his TR again.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 21, 2019, 08:34:09 AM »
would love to see the research it you find it tx! Will check out his TR again.
Apparently the thought, "I should photograph this," didn't translate into action.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 21, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Apparently the thought, "I should photograph this," didn't translate into action.
oh well. I guess GIMF...

Offline robbiesam

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 03, 2019, 10:10:43 AM »
Just booked flights with the recent fare sale (17K chase points roundtrip)- arriving Wed early AM, leaving Monday AM in July
My initial thought was to try and explore the South coast and southeast Wed-Fri getting back to Reyjavik for late shabbos (have a bunch of clubcarlson points for years) and then Golden circle/secret lagoon on Sunday.
Debating whether to rent a car vs. try and book tours. NY driver so not particularly afraid but I dont love driving so the comfort of sitting on bus and hearing a guide talk to us rather than fighting with my wife to direct us and read the guidebook seems a little appealing.
Hotels outside Rekjavik (e.g Vik) seem pricey for not much but I guess will have to do that either way.
Any thoughts on itinerary or driving?

Thanks!

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 03, 2019, 11:20:36 PM »
You can do a little of both. There is a golden circle 8 hour tour which is basically exactly what you would do with your own car minus being the driver. then rent a car for the additional days to either do another circle or just side trips. I found it very helpful having a car there.

Offline NoIdea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 16, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
I'm planning a summer trip which includes 4 days in Iceland. I'm posting my planned itinerary and would  love some suggestions (constructive ones I hope) or opinions. The places I plan on staying on those particular nights are booked. They can be changed but hotel availability kinda forced me into doing it this way.

Monday day 1

Landing 630am. Pick up car from blue car. At this point I am still unclear. I can go to the 'inside the volcano' tour (either driving straight there from kef and waiting for the tour to start or going to Reykjavik and taking their tour bus back down to the volcano but that would have to be a later tour) but I haven't decided if it's worth it. It costs a fortune and I'm not sure if it's really amazing or people justify spending a fortune by convincing themselves it's awesome. $400 per person is nuts but if it's really amazing then I'd consider it....maybe. I'd love some thoughts on this. If I do go this route, I would spend day 1 doing the volcano and hanging out in Reykjavik and that's it. After all, we dont sleep on plane and will be tired. Take a look at the rest of the itinerary and if there's something you'd suggest I do instead of volcano on day 1, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Day 2 tuesday

From Reykjavik  do the golden circle , we like walking and hiking so would take our time. This includes thingvellir,geyser, gulfoss, kerid. Then drive to vik and  doing black beaches in that area. 

Day 3 wednesday

From vik up to jokusarlon take zodiac boat and hang there. Then head back to seljalandfoss, glufrabui and skogafoss (staying the night in that area)

Day 4 Thursday

Glacier walk tour on eyjaffjajokull ( think that's it. I'm convinced if you just mash your keyboard itll come up with the name of a town or waterfall in iceland) and pick up anything that was missed in the black beaches (reynifsjara , reynisdrangar) or waterfalls ( seljalandfoss or skogafoss )that might've been missed . Or if you guys know of something I should see in that area. Then head out (about 3 hr drive ) to blue lagoon. 

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the blue lagoon works as follows: there is the public area, the silica hotel which is an older more nice but basic hotel with a private lagoon that doesn't seem very large, and then the clinic which has a much larger and nicer private lagoon. I know the silica and clinic come with passes to the public area too. The clinic is very very expensive though. Has anyone stayed at silica?

If we choose this option, wed get to silica (probably) at 5/6 PM and hang there. Flight out at 730 am and need return car so I'm guessing leave hotel about 430/5 am?? Flight is to London for those wondering where I'm flying on a Friday morning.

I'd appreciate the input. 

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 17, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »
First off, I hope you have an awesome trip! Iceland is a very special place.

Have you read my TR yet? (See link in wiki if you haven't.) As I mention there, the volcano is very cool, but I only justified it because I paid with A+ points; I would not spend $400 cash pp on it. I landed on Sunday morning and left Friday (flew back to NYC on a Friday morning :P), so my itinerary should help you understand what is doable in that time frame and give you ideas for what else you can consider such as snorkeling, rafting or going to the Westman Islands. I would also recommend looking into the free hot pool on the southern road, Seljavallalaug, (or any of the many other free ones) or Secret Lagoon in the Golden Circle as opposed to the touristy Blue Lagoon. I didn't do BL for a fair comparison, but these are much cheaper and likely won't have tour buses pulling up to them.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 17, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »

Have you read my TR yet? (See link in wiki if you haven't.) As I mention there, the volcano is very cool, but I only justified it because I paid with A+ points; I would not spend $400 cash pp on it.

Except you essentially did regardless of it your mental pocketbook felt it.

here we go again  ;D :-X :P

Offline NoIdea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »

Have you read my TR yet? (See link in wiki if you haven't.) As I mention there, the volcano is very cool, but I only justified it because I paid with A+ points; I would not spend $400 cash pp on it. I landed on Sunday morning and left Friday (flew back to NYC on a Friday morning :P), so my itinerary should help you understand what is doable in that time frame and give you ideas for what else you can consider such as snorkeling, rafting or going to the Westman Islands. I would also recommend looking into the free hot pool on the southern road, Seljavallalaug, (or any of the many other free ones) or Secret Lagoon in the Golden Circle as opposed to the touristy Blue Lagoon. I didn't do BL for a fair comparison, but these are much cheaper and likely won't have tour buses pulling up to them.

Mustve missed your TR somehow.  I'll look it over and see what's what. At first glance it looks like you knocked it out of the park on that trip. I'll get back to you once I read up. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline NoIdea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 04, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »
Alright, I've updated my itinerary and want to throw it out there for all you Iceland experts. If I'm missing something or have a logistics issue  please let me know. I appreciate it.

Day 1- landing 7am renting car and heading out to Golden circle. This includes Kerid, Gulfoss, Geysir, and Thingvellir. I was planning on running counterclockwise as I think  most tourists run it clockwise so maybe i can get through it with itr being  slightly less crowded. I was going to include bruarfoss in this but it seems like a LOT of walking (2 hours) through muddy and unpaved paths just to get to and from the waterfalls. Bear in mind my wife will be 6+months pregnant so I have to be realistic as to what can/cant be done. Although i had wanted to, we cannot do the rafting on Hvita nor snorkeling at Silfra due to pregnancy. I asked. This is also why we wont do a snowmobile ride.
After this head back to Reykjavik and hang out there for remainder of day. I know Im leaving some time on the table but we will be exhausted.

Day 2- Sejalandfoss and Gljubfrabui. Skogafoss, and black beaches including: Dyrholaey, Reynisfjara mountain, Reynisdrangar, and Reynisfjara. They are all basically right next to eachother. And then stay in that area, near Vik, for the night.

Day 3- Svartifoss,  Jokulsarlon and a zodiac boat tour there. Drive back to Hvolsvollur stopping at Seljavallalaug. Staying in this area for the night.

Day 4- Glacier walk on solheimjokull. Head to Blue lagoon and stay there overnight. Leaving early on Day 5.

I'm giving myself ample time to drive, plenty of time to hang out at each location so as not feel rushed, and assuming my very pregnant wife will not want to get out very early in the morning.

FYI- I dont think I am  interested in Westman Island.
Was thinking about Fjadrargljufur canyon on Day 3 on way back from Jokulsarlon. If anyone has done this- does this require taking an F-road (seeing mixed answers online) and how far is it from the parking lot to the canyon?Lastly, Is it worth it?

If you have any suggestions for additional sights or activities, I would appreciate it.Thanks.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #716 on: April 04, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
Looks good overall.

Kerid is skippable IMO, and only worth it if you're driving past anyway.
Good call on Bruarfoss, don't make sense while pregnant.
You're not leaving any time on the table IMO, everything in Iceland takes longer than you expect. Keep in mind that you'll never just be driving from one location to the next, as you'll be wanting to constantly on the side of the road.
Fjadrargljufur is not on an F road. As long as it's not snowing you'll be fine. It's an easy 5-minute or so walk from the parking lot, and then you can choose to see the main views or hike along the top or down to the water based on your mood and your wife's abilities.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline NoIdea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 04, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Looks good overall.

Kerid is skippable IMO, and only worth it if you're driving past anyway.
Good call on Bruarfoss, don't make sense while pregnant.
You're not leaving any time on the table IMO, everything in Iceland takes longer than you expect. Keep in mind that you'll never just be driving from one location to the next, as you'll be wanting to constantly on the side of the road.
Fjadrargljufur is not on an F road. As long as it's not snowing you'll be fine. It's an easy 5-minute or so walk from the parking lot, and then you can choose to see the main views or hike along the top or down to the water based on your mood and your wife's abilities.

Perfect. Trip is planned for July so snow isn't an issue. I know you've mentioned elsewhere that google drive times in iceland are 20-30% less than reality.Is that seasonal or even in the summer?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #718 on: April 04, 2019, 03:02:40 PM »
Perfect. Trip is planned for July so snow isn't an issue. I know you've mentioned elsewhere that google drive times in iceland are 20-30% less than reality.Is that seasonal or even in the summer?

Summer too. Always give yourself extra time.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline NoIdea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 04, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
Summer too. Always give yourself extra time.

Thanks. You're the fishiest!