Topic Wiki

Credit Bureau Info:

Experian: 800-493-1058 With A Report Number

Experian: 714-830-7000 (Without A Report Number) Call and Press 0. You will get connected to the switchboard operator. Tell them you just called in and entered your report number and the automated system disconnected you. Ask them if they can get a human on the line for disputes. That's the only way you'll be able to get through to a live person at Experian without a Report Number.

Equifax: 800-846-5279

TransUnion: 800-916-8800

Comparison between FAKO from Credit karma and FICO from Barclays and Citi.

Cards that give you free monthly FICO's

AMEX personal cards = EX 08 Switched to FAKO (VantageScore 3.0)
Chase Slate = EX (either 08 or Bankcard enhanced)
PSECU = EX 04

Citi branded cards = EQ 08 Bankcard enhanced
Citi AA = EQ bankcard enhanced
DCU= EQ 04
PenFed = EQ NextGen
Elements Financial (Credit Union, score available for without opening CC) = EQ 5

Barclays = TU 08
Discover it = TU 08
Walmart (store or MC) = TU 08
« Last edited by Lev26 on April 13, 2022, 02:28:07 AM »

Author Topic: credit score  (Read 829447 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: credit score
« Reply #1440 on: November 19, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
I thought that applying for two amex revolves, getting double pulled, and disputing one was SOP, but I'm seeing on credit boards that disputing inquiries is not recommended. Is that at all relevant to this, or that's just completely disputing inquiries, as apposed to requesting them consolidated?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Cappy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 19, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »
I thought that applying for two amex revolves, getting double pulled, and disputing one was SOP, but I'm seeing on credit boards that disputing inquiries is not recommended. Is that at all relevant to this, or that's just completely disputing inquiries, as apposed to requesting them consolidated?

Hey David,

First off, 2 Amex Revolvers usually end up resulting in a single HP...

You don't request for them to be consolidated. If you're hit with 2 HP, you're out of luck.

Don't ever dispute legitimate inquiries....

If you ever get denied for that SPECIFIC reason, it's always going to be a different reason. I.E. New accounts...

Good luck :)

Offline D93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:49 AM »
Hey David,

First off, 2 Amex Revolvers usually end up resulting in a single HP...
Incorrect, when they put the 2nd revolver on the "5 day hold", it always results in a 2nd pull.

You don't request for them to be consolidated. If you're hit with 2 HP, you're out of luck.

Don't ever dispute legitimate inquiries....

If you ever get denied for that SPECIFIC reason, it's always going to be a different reason. I.E. New accounts...

Good luck :)

What's the issue with calling EX and having one removed, they just consolidate it on the spot, they don't open a "dispute"?

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 19, 2015, 03:25:48 AM »
Incorrect, when they put the 2nd revolver on the "5 day hold", it always results in a 2nd pull.

this^^^

What's the issue with calling EX and having one removed, they just consolidate it on the spot, they don't open a "dispute"?

That is more of a CB thing.  Remember, CB is geared towards the credit challenged/credit rebuilders.  So the mantras are:  1.   Do not call CRA's.  2.  Do not dispute inquiries. 

That's more to limit collateral damage to people who won't take the time to read and educate themselves than it is for people who know more.  If CB were suggesting you could call AMEX, then some poor soul would read that and think it's ok to call a CRA and dispute charge-offs, collections accounts, JDB etc.  Those people need to be making written disputes, getting a paper trail and catch the companies slipping in their timeframes, validations/verifications or lying.  People would also be calling to dispute INQ's for their app sprees, car shopping or whatever else.  They wind up getting fraud alerts, which makes getting credit harder and can lead to new accounts getting frozen or shutdown as well.

I've had my EX special handler erase lots of INQ's.   ;)

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 19, 2015, 03:28:51 AM »
That is more of a CB thing.  Remember, CB is geared towards the credit challenged/credit rebuilders.  So the mantras are:  1.   Do not call CRA's.  2.  Do not dispute inquiries. 

That's more to limit collateral damage to people who won't take the time to read and educate themselves than it is for people who know more.  If CB were suggesting you could call AMEX, then some poor soul would read that and think it's ok to call a CRA and dispute charge-offs, collections accounts, JDB etc.  Those people need to be making written disputes, getting a paper trail and catch the companies slipping in their timeframes, validations/verifications or lying.  People would also be calling to dispute INQ's for their app sprees, car shopping or whatever else.  They wind up getting fraud alerts, which makes getting credit harder and can lead to new accounts getting frozen or shutdown as well.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: November 19, 2015, 03:33:54 AM »

Separate question: Since business cards only impact your score with the balance that's left past 1 month of posting, do you need to have a balance of 0 the next month? Say I had a balance of $600 in May, and pay it fully during June, but build a balance of $400 in June. When June posts, that $400 balance is looked at separately from May's $600, or do they just see it like you've still got a balance the next month?

Most business cards do not report to personal reports until you start missing payments or default.  So the balances on them, assuming the account is positive, do not effect your score in any way - good or bad.

The only effect business cards should have on your personal reports in the EX hits from AMEX, Chase and Citi for account openings.

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: November 19, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »

Sorry, I apologize but it was for charge cards that don't have multiple inquires or even a combination of a charge/revolver.

In any case, yes, you can Call EX and tell them it's a duplicate and it may be deleted off your report as a duplicate.

Just make sure to stress to them that you're not DISPUTING the item, you want them to MANUALLY delete.

If they claim they need to investigate and look into it and call you back, tell them you want the issue resolved on the spot.

I apologize if I gave out incorrect info as per the 2 revolvers.  It's multiple charge cards/single
Revolver or multiple charge cards in one day that result with 1 HP

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »
this^^^

It could be done, but it's really not for public discussion :)    I'm probably about to get flooded with PM's :)

Also, you should get yourself out of special handling.  It's a big PITA and believe me, no more HUCA.

You lose your control and you can't get anything small done unless your SH is available. I got my friend out of SH. Believe me, it's Worth it!

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: November 19, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
It could be done, but it's really not for public discussion :)    I'm probably about to get flooded with PM's :)

Also, you should get yourself out of special handling.  It's a big PITA and believe me, no more HUCA.

You lose your control and you can't get anything small done unless your SH is available. I got my friend out of SH. Believe me, it's Worth it!

I didn't ask to be put into SH  :)  But I did find some way to turn lemons into lemonade.

I'm sure I could CFPB my way out of it, say they are infringing on my rights and such.

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
I didn't ask to be put into SH  :)  But I did find some way to turn lemons into lemonade.

I'm sure I could CFPB my way out of it, say they are infringing on my rights and such.

I know you didn't ask to put yourself in there.  ;D

You probably got put in there because you threatened them with something.  By claiming they were wrong for whatever reason it was and threatening to contact the CFPB is most likely how you got there.  PM Me if you need some help getting out :)

Offline Mendelssohn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
You guys really do place way too much importance on inquiries though.

I've had no problem getting approvals from Amex, Chase and Citi with 20+ inquiries in EX. This includes 2 Citi cards with more than 6 of those inquiries in the preceding 6 months. My EX report isn't even completely clean.

Managing utilization and the number of cards with a balance is way more important. Just because you are denied for "too many inquiries" does not mean that is the actual reason. Usually it is something else.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: November 19, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Btw just got my wife's and my own Experian report in the mail. I know u mentioned being able to view more detailed and additional stuff on it. Want to point out to me what I can gain from it/pay attention to? Thanks
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: November 19, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Btw just got my wife's and my own Experian report in the mail. I know u mentioned being able to view more detailed and additional stuff on it. Want to point out to me what I can gain from it/pay attention to? Thanks

You may find closed accounts that are missing in the online version, address information tied to accounts, notations that are often not on the online version, more detailed payment history, etc.

The paper copy is your real report. In some cases they may contain almost exactly the same information, but to know what is on your actual report, you need the paper copy.

Offline D93

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 19, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
What's "special handling"?  ???

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 19, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
What's "special handling"?  ???

Special Handling is a division of Ex.

You get put in there if you stir up trouble with them.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: November 19, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »

Is it worth $20 and an EQ HP to join PenFed?

Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:44 PM »
One last question back on the $2 trick (sorry everyone!): If the card that I'm leaving $2 on is an Amex, and my wife is an AU on that account (thereby causing those $2 to show up on her report), is that enough for her to be successfully doing the $2 trick? Or should she have a card that she is a primary on with a $2 balance?

Offline unclesam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 19, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »

Cap1 and Discover will usually approve with no open accounts reporting.  Amex and Chase have been know to approve (instant only) with only AUs reporting.
to be sure discover will approve without any history at all?

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 19, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
to be sure discover will approve without any history at all?

No guarantee but they did for me (and seems like for many others here).

Offline unclesam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: November 19, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
No guarantee but they did for me (and seems like for many others here).
great thanks.