Topic Wiki

Credit Bureau Info:

Experian: 800-493-1058 With A Report Number

Experian: 714-830-7000 (Without A Report Number) Call and Press 0. You will get connected to the switchboard operator. Tell them you just called in and entered your report number and the automated system disconnected you. Ask them if they can get a human on the line for disputes. That's the only way you'll be able to get through to a live person at Experian without a Report Number.

Equifax: 800-846-5279

TransUnion: 800-916-8800

Comparison between FAKO from Credit karma and FICO from Barclays and Citi.

Cards that give you free monthly FICO's

AMEX personal cards = EX 08 Switched to FAKO (VantageScore 3.0)
Chase Slate = EX (either 08 or Bankcard enhanced)
PSECU = EX 04

Citi branded cards = EQ 08 Bankcard enhanced
Citi AA = EQ bankcard enhanced
DCU= EQ 04
PenFed = EQ NextGen
Elements Financial (Credit Union, score available for without opening CC) = EQ 5

Barclays = TU 08
Discover it = TU 08
Walmart (store or MC) = TU 08
« Last edited by Lev26 on April 13, 2022, 02:28:07 AM »

Author Topic: credit score  (Read 810602 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: credit score
« Reply #3400 on: January 12, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »
Nonsense. "Most people don't obsessively make sure all of their CC statements close with a $0 balance" is a basic fact.
eith most people in the world you are right. But here where our credit score is a top priority we are all very careful. Without a good score we have nothing.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:12 PM »
eith most people in the world you are right. But here where our credit score is a top priority we are all very careful. Without a good score we have nothing.
+1 I will pay all cards every statement obsessively.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »

I don't, and it hasn't hurt me at all.

Once your score is over 700 or maybe 720, some balances reporting isn't going to hurt.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: January 12, 2017, 10:22:12 PM »
I don't, and it hasn't hurt me at all.

Once your score is over 700 or maybe 720, some balances reporting isn't going to hurt.
Some of us don't settle for "over 700-720" why not make it as perfect as possible?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
Some of us don't settle for "over 700-720" why not make it as perfect as possible?

You're moving the goalposts. Even for a mortgage, there's basically no difference between a 740 and an 850 FICO.

Nobody is getting a CSR because their score is 805 instead of 785.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: January 12, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »
You're moving the goalposts. Even for a mortgage, there's basically no difference between a 740 and an 850 FICO.

Nobody is getting a CSR because their score is 805 instead of 785.
True point, but the higher your score, the more you can afford for it to drop before it has any real effects. I like to keep that buffer zone as big as possible.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
True point, but the higher your score, the more you can afford for it to drop before it has any real effects. I like to keep that buffer zone as big as possible.

Utilization has no memory. If your score is over 720 and you're getting approved, there's no reason to obsess over paying bills to $0 before the statement even cuts.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 12, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »
Utilization has no memory. If your score is over 720 and you're getting approved, there's no reason to obsess over paying bills to $0 before the statement even cuts.
I never cut them to $0, always leave a dollar or two. Clearly, myself and others (dan included) obsess over this for no reason

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 12, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »
I never cut them to $0, always leave a dollar or two. Clearly, myself and others (dan included) obsess over this for no reason

The so-called "$2 trick" is meant to help boost people into a higher FICO tier. It's a waste of time for people who are already getting easy approvals, aside from providing people on credit boards with bragging rights.

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 13, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
JSK173 -  Leave the $2 trick out of the conversation.  And all of your other nonsense.

You saying that closing a CC is going to universally lower your score is a blanket statement and it's wrong.  Period.  End of discussion.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »

Wrong.  Utilization has memory due to segmentation.  (Admittedly a short memory).  But still a memory.

Quit posting false stuff.

This isn't opinions,  it's facts.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: January 13, 2017, 12:09:38 AM »
Wrong.  Utilization has memory due to segmentation.  (Admittedly a short memory).  But still a memory.

Lol there was a reason I dropped it.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »
Lol there was a reason I dropped it.

I'd drop it also,  but this is a community to supposedly help one another and I'd hate for people to listen to false advice.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: January 13, 2017, 01:01:19 AM »
Nonsense. "Most people don't obsessively make sure all of their CC statements close with a $0 balance" is a basic fact.

Even people who religiously pay in full every month typically have balances reporting on one or more CCs every month.
Who cares about most people. We are talking about members of this forum.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: January 13, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
JSK173 -  Leave the $2 trick out of the conversation.  And all of your other nonsense.

I haven't posted a word of nonsense. The biggest piece of nonsense is your apparent assumption that normal CC customers obsess about having $0 reporting on all cards at all times.

You saying that closing a CC is going to universally lower your score is a blanket statement and it's wrong.  Period.  End of discussion.

Where did I make such a statement? Either English isn't your first language or you're an incredibly dishonest person.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: January 13, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »

What was that you were saying about posting "nonsense"?

Physician, heal thyself.

Any FICO dip due to utilization this month will be gone next month once paid down or paid off. It might be gone even sooner, in the cases of banks like Chase that update mid-cycle when balances are paid to $0.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: January 13, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
What was that you were saying about posting "nonsense"?

Physician, heal thyself.

Any FICO dip due to utilization this month will be gone next month once paid down or paid off. It might be gone even sooner, in the cases of banks like Chase that update mid-cycle when balances are paid to $0.

Another blanket statement.  You're absolutely wrong.  Where did you get the idea that you're somehow versed in how FICO algorithms work?  Especially concepts like segmentation models? 

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
Another blanket statement.  You're absolutely wrong.  Where did you get the idea that you're somehow versed in how FICO algorithms work?  Especially concepts like segmentation models?

LOL. If you're trying to make a pedantic point that one's FICO might not be *exactly* the same a month later, sure, but except for people in the 600s or maybe very low 700s, no one's getting or not getting a CC because of a 5-point swing in their FICO.

(By the way, I noticed you didn't bother replying to my first message. Concession accepted.)

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »
LOL. If you're trying to make a pedantic point that one's FICO might not be *exactly* the same a month later, sure, but except for people in the 600s or maybe very low 700s, no one's getting or not getting a CC because of a 5-point swing in their FICO.

(By the way, I noticed you didn't bother replying to my first message. Concession accepted.)

There's no concession.  You are just uneducated about FICO scoring.  I might as well be debating with my 4 year old about this.

While you're at it,  make sure to look at Bob's charts comparing FICO scores and initial credit line approvals.  While a 720 or an 830 might have the same approval chances,  the higher scores generally get initial higher credit lines.  That will be helpful for you if you ever decide to MS for something other than a sign up bonus and maybe then you'll have substantial enough available credit to see how some people can close $40K cards and not have their scores affected.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: January 13, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
There's no concession.  You are just uneducated about FICO scoring.  I might as well be debating with my 4 year old about this.

Sure. You couldn't point out the "blanket statement" you insisted I made, which makes *me* similar to a 4-year-old. Got it.

While you're at it,  make sure to look at Bob's charts comparing FICO scores and initial credit line approvals.  While a 720 or an 830 might have the same approval chances,  the higher scores generally get initial higher credit lines.  That will be helpful for you if you ever decide to MS for something other than a sign up bonus and maybe then you'll have substantial enough available credit to see how some people can close $40K cards and not have their scores affected.

Goalpost shift. Nobody was talking about MSing. For such a self-styled expert, you sure seem to have a hard time staying on topic and addressing claims head on.

Anyway, the above is funny. One minute closing a $25,000 CL doesn't matter; the next, really high CLs are important for MSing. I guess big CLs are important, until they're not — or something.