Author Topic: Right to Lost Baggage Claim incorrectly denied  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Right to Lost Baggage Claim incorrectly denied
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »
Here is a weird one.  My son was flying and his baggage did not show up at the destination. The cc printed policy showed a $1,000 policy.  I had checked online to make sure an independently traveling child would be covered (since this had happened to me before on a different card where my son was not covered) before I had purchased the ticket with this card and checked on line again to confirm. Then I called the company to start the claim and was told that the policy had changed and he was not covered because he was not traveling with me.  I checked again on the website and could not find this update so I called back, spoke to two different departments and a supervisor for close to an hour in total - who all told me that the policy has been changed and that the bank had not updated the website.
I told my son to hold off on purchasing anything but a few hours later sent him a message to just go ahead and buy what he needs and a suit for yomtov which was fast approaching and I would cover it out of pocket. He felt bad and did not buy anything and wore his travel clothes, planning to borrow something to wear over yomtov - and thankfully his luggage showed up in about 24 hours, jut before yomtov.
Meanwhile, I took up my frustration with the cc company customer relations and they finally got back to me explaining that there was an exclusion clause that I missed - but they would offer $25 as a goodwill gesture.  I thanked them.
When I downloaded the policy again, I still could not find any such exclusion and I contacted the cc company, asking the rep to please clarify where the exclusion was.  She finally called back and admitted that everyone on her end had been making a mistake and the exclusion applied to a different benefit (trip interruption) but not to the lost baggage claim.  She added that since we did not end up suffering a financial loss, they stood by their goodwill gesture of a $25 gift card.  I told her that in light of all this I felt that, notwithstanding we didn't "incur" financial loss, the $25 token compensation was entirely inadequate.  She is taking this up with her team, now.
Does anyone (not personally involved like me) want to suggest what the proper comp should be?

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Right to Lost Baggage Claim incorrectly denied
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »
Here is a weird one.  My son was flying and his baggage did not show up at the destination. The cc printed policy showed a $1,000 policy.  I had checked online to make sure an independently traveling child would be covered (since this had happened to me before on a different card where my son was not covered) before I had purchased the ticket with this card and checked on line again to confirm. Then I called the company to start the claim and was told that the policy had changed and he was not covered because he was not traveling with me.  I checked again on the website and could not find this update so I called back, spoke to two different departments and a supervisor for close to an hour in total - who all told me that the policy has been changed and that the bank had not updated the website.
I told my son to hold off on purchasing anything but a few hours later sent him a message to just go ahead and buy what he needs and a suit for yomtov which was fast approaching and I would cover it out of pocket. He felt bad and did not buy anything and wore his travel clothes, planning to borrow something to wear over yomtov - and thankfully his luggage showed up in about 24 hours, jut before yomtov.
Meanwhile, I took up my frustration with the cc company customer relations and they finally got back to me explaining that there was an exclusion clause that I missed - but they would offer $25 as a goodwill gesture.  I thanked them.
When I downloaded the policy again, I still could not find any such exclusion and I contacted the cc company, asking the rep to please clarify where the exclusion was.  She finally called back and admitted that everyone on her end had been making a mistake and the exclusion applied to a different benefit (trip interruption) but not to the lost baggage claim.  She added that since we did not end up suffering a financial loss, they stood by their goodwill gesture of a $25 gift card.  I told her that in light of all this I felt that, notwithstanding we didn't "incur" financial loss, the $25 token compensation was entirely inadequate.  She is taking this up with her team, now.
Does anyone (not personally involved like me) want to suggest what the proper comp should be?
For the future, when this happens, immediately (before u exit the airport) file  claim with the airlines in their baggage office, and get a PIR number.( (PROPERTY IRREGULARITY REPORT) Than try filing a claim with the airlines. To be on the safe side, try to buy things u can return.

I recently had this, and I spent over 6oo$ which was promptly reimbursed right into my bank account from the airline.  A rep on the phone told me they usually cover up to $1200 a claim. Point being, first try to get reimbursed from the airlines, who want to satisfy their customers before u run to the credit card company...
Good luck!

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »
Thank you for your input.
Of course we immediately filed the claim with the airline but the bag was eventually returned.
buying returnable items was not an option  once I had been explicitly told by the cc company that we were not covered.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
Thank you for your input.
Of course we immediately filed the claim with the airline but the bag was eventually returned.
buying returnable items was not an option  once I had been explicitly told by the cc company that we were not covered.
I'm not sure what ur saying. Are u saying that because it was returned they won't reimburse? Mine was also returned and I was still reimbursed. It's called delayed baggage

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
No. Because the cc company and the insurance company backing the card told me that we would not be covered, we did not end up incurring any expenses.  So the cc's position is that there was no financial loss so they have nothing to cover. My point is that we only held off buying what we needed because the cc company reps and a supervisor all incorrectly told us that we would not be covered.

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »
He's referring to the airline reimbursing you.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
The flights were on different Airlines and already at the airport the second leg airline was telling us that they were not going to cover any losses as it was the first airline's fault for not making the connection for the bag.  It wasn't clear that we would ever get relief from either airline without a drawn out battle so in this case the Cc coverage should have been useful...

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:37:09 AM »
The flights were on different Airlines and already at the airport the second leg airline was telling us that they were not going to cover any losses as it was the first airline's fault for not making the connection for the bag.  It wasn't clear that we would ever get relief from either airline without a drawn out battle so in this case the Cc coverage should have been useful...
in my case it was also with two carriers. Last carrier always takes responsibility.(as per representative at airport)

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
Well, not per this airline. And the official report they gave us stated that all charges must go to the first airline. But your comments just confirm what I suspected - that the first airline would not agree to any anything...