Author Topic: PSA: Back up your data !!! (aka Avoiding Data Recovery - Any Questions?)  (Read 7655 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: PSA: Back up your data !!! (aka Avoiding Data Recovery - Any Questions?)
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2024, 09:50:51 AM »
This looks to me like it is still in a holding bracket. It looks like it can be removed by unscrewing the 2 screws on the side.
This. The metal plating is not part of the hard drive. You can unscrew the M2 screws and get the hard drive out - it should fit.
This is the hard drive (excuse my crude red lines):

The rest is an enclosure that keeps the hard drive from moving inside the laptop.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2024, 09:52:27 AM »
I moved a 10tb drive from an USB enclosure to inside of a PC with a sata wire, and somehow some folders got erased, but the drive data total still shows about the same

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2024, 12:21:12 AM »
I moved a 10tb drive from an USB enclosure to inside of a PC with a sata wire, and somehow some folders got erased, but the drive data total still shows about the same

It's possible that some of the files are recoverable by checking the drive for errors, but maybe we should hear from the experts on
whether that could cause issues with a better recovery of the files (especially because that would erase their names and date info).
If you decide to try that, here's how: Right-click the drive in File Explorer/My Computer > Properties > Tools tab > top section.
(If you do that and it says errors have been fixed, report that here for help finding the recovered files.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:31:05 AM by Randomex »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2024, 03:27:21 PM »

Have you searched the drive for those folders/files, just to make sure they weren't accidentally moved?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 03:39:31 PM by Randomex »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2024, 07:16:11 PM »
It's possible that some of the files are recoverable by checking the drive for errors, but maybe we should hear from the experts on
whether that could cause issues with a better recovery of the files (especially because that would erase their names and date info).
If you decide to try that, here's how: Right-click the drive in File Explorer/My Computer > Properties > Tools tab > top section.
(If you do that and it says errors have been fixed, report that here for help finding the recovered files.)

"no errors found"

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2024, 07:16:36 PM »
Have you searched the drive for those folders/files, just to make sure they weren't accidentally moved?

few folders from a few random subfolders. not found anywhere

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2024, 04:55:49 AM »
This is a backup thread. The recovery thread is this one:
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=18378.0
Just sayin'...
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2024, 11:55:09 AM »
Update: One of the screws wouldn't come out. I managed to remove the cover of the adapter area and unscrewed the circuit board. The old drive works (for now) and the files appear to be intact. (I checked for errors and some were reported repaired; I suppose I'll have to run a search for files modified yesterday.)

The drive is making some noise, which I'm sure I've read somewhere is a rather bad sign.
Should I expect it to suddenly completely stop functioning at some point? If not, what should I expect/watch out for?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2024, 12:14:21 PM »
Update: One of the screws wouldn't come out. I managed to remove the cover of the adapter area and unscrewed the circuit board. The old drive works (for now) and the files appear to be intact. (I checked for errors and some were reported repaired; I suppose I'll have to run a search for files modified yesterday.)

The drive is making some noise, which I'm sure I've read somewhere is a rather bad sign.
Should I expect it to suddenly completely stop functioning at some point? If not, what should I expect/watch out for?
If there's anything crucial on there, you should copy it off to somewhere else just in case.
Hard drives do make noise. Are you referring to abnormal noises? Some noises are definitely a 'don't sneeze at it and copy stuff off immediately' sign. But I'm not a data recovery expert...

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2024, 04:19:54 PM »
If there's anything crucial on there, you should copy it off to somewhere else just in case.
Hard drives do make noise. Are you referring to abnormal noises? Some noises are definitely a 'don't sneeze at it and copy stuff off immediately' sign. But I'm not a data recovery expert...
clicking signs are the worst.

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2024, 11:23:14 PM »
What's the best external 2 tb hard drive to back up photos and videos? It will very rarely be used.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2024, 03:44:14 AM »
What's the best external 2 tb hard drive to back up photos and videos? It will very rarely be used.
This is the cheapest. If you think you'll need a bit of ruggedness get the second. (Sigh... wasn't that long ago that an SSD and an enclosure were $10 more... Might be time to put hard drives back on the index.)
Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive | USB 3.0 | Black - HDTB520XK3AA ($39.99 )

SP Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Portable External Hard Drive | Armor A60 Shockproof | USB 3.1 Gen1 | for PC Mac Xbox and PS4 | Black ($39.99 )

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2024, 09:59:00 AM »
This is the cheapest. If you think you'll need a bit of ruggedness get the second. (Sigh... wasn't that long ago that an SSD and an enclosure were $10 more... Might be time to put hard drives back on the index.)
Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive | USB 3.0 | Black - HDTB520XK3AA ($39.99 )

SP Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Portable External Hard Drive | Armor A60 Shockproof | USB 3.1 Gen1 | for PC Mac Xbox and PS4 | Black ($39.99 )

Thank you