Author Topic: Modern Refrigerators and "Shabbos Mode"  (Read 26080 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Modern Refrigerators and "Shabbos Mode"
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
My thoughts also, but then what is the purpose of the Keeper? Just for peace of mind in that it's automatic and it doesn't require you to manually activate and de-activate Shabbos mode?

That's what is seems like. We B"H don't forget to set Shabbos mode every week, but it could happen, and one time we were away for Shabbos, and a nephew walked into our house and unsuspectingly opened the refrigerator on Shabbos... Having it done automatically is a nice thing to have.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
That's what is seems like. We B"H don't forget to set Shabbos mode every week, but it could happen, and one time we were away for Shabbos, and a nephew walked into our house and unsuspectingly opened the refrigerator on Shabbos... Having it done automatically is a nice thing to have.

Also, this GE post seems to back up your hypothesis: https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=36930
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
Interestingly, of after he opens the door he realizes his mistake, he is not allowed to close the door

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
Interestingly, of after he opens the door he realizes his mistake, he is not allowed to close the door
Been there done that
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 11:55:19 PM »
Got it. So things like central air is ok to cycle on and off?
right you should look into grama and garmy

grama is something that was indirectly caused by something else but which outcome is not guaranteed.
http://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Melechet_Machshevet#Grama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grama_(halacha)

Garmy is something done indirect but will definitely happen
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »
I Just got a Whirlpool french door fridge and the bulb was out, I figured well if there's No bulb there's no problem, Yesterday I Called the appliance store asked them how to put on shabbos mode, they instructed me to tape down the two tabs in fridge and tab in freezer that detect when the door opens/closes, I opened the doors and pressed the tabs with my hands and surprisingly I noticed besides all the behind the scene issues the digital display that shows the fridge/freezer temperature goes off only when both doors are closed....... and goes on when any door is opened.
I figured i'll keep the tabs taped through the week, till I tried taking from the filtered cold water dispenser it wouldn't go until I removed the piece of tape
["-"]

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:08 AM »
I figured i'll keep the tabs taped through the week, till I tried taking from the filtered cold water dispenser it wouldn't go until I removed the piece of tape
Yup that I figured out right away, use my in fridge water supply all the time.
 Its a safety feature where if something accidentally knocks into the water button the water shouldn't flood the fridge while being shut, so to prevent that the switch is disabled when the doors are shut or tongues are pressed/velcroed down.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
Also, this GE post seems to back up your hypothesis: https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=36930

So I got the fridge, put it into shabbos mode to test - and everything that it said it would do (or not do) checked out.
So far so good.

Then I noticed a single blinking green light in the center of the "Temperature Controlled Drawer" and my heart sank! What was that light for and did any of my actions affect it?

I ran to google and try as I might I can't find anything at all about this green light. I found lots of things relating to a lights indicating faults or errors especially on or near the ice maker but in my case it's nowhere near the ice maker and as far as I can tell the ice maker is fine.

I called GE asking about it and the guy didn't know either (not surprisingly since I was talking to the front line and he was googling it just like I was, I would need to get deep in the trenches of their call center and I can't imagine that's an easy feat)

So, I went back to fridge and held in the tabs to make sure the closing of the one or both doors had no affect and thankfully the light continued to blink.

My curiosity was even more aroused now, what is the purpose of this blinking light?

I know that the Temperature Controlled Drawer has colored lights indicating the temp that is selected but I wasn't utilizing that setting and if I was more then just one light would be on and it would be steady not blinking.

Then I decided to poke around the draw a bit and I took it out of shabbos mode and I couldn't believe what I saw! The light was still blinking!! I hadn't noticed it before because the much brighter interior lights were on and in shabbos mode the main lights are off so this single green one sticks out but now this means it has nothing at all to with the shabbos mode, and now my question is even greater, what is this light all about?

So far I haven't found any reason at all and I don't know where else to look.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
So I got the fridge, put it into shabbos mode to test - and everything that it said it would do (or not do) checked out.
So far so good.

Then I noticed a single blinking green light in the center of the "Temperature Controlled Drawer" and my heart sank! What was that light for and did any of my actions affect it?

I ran to google and try as I might I can't find anything at all about this green light. I found lots of things relating to a lights indicating faults or errors especially on or near the ice maker but in my case it's nowhere near the ice maker and as far as I can tell the ice maker is fine.

I called GE asking about it and the guy didn't know either (not surprisingly since I was talking to the front line and he was googling it just like I was, I would need to get deep in the trenches of their call center and I can't imagine that's an easy feat)

So, I went back to fridge and held in the tabs to make sure the closing of the one or both doors had no affect and thankfully the light continued to blink.

My curiosity was even more aroused now, what is the purpose of this blinking light?

I know that the Temperature Controlled Drawer has colored lights indicating the temp that is selected but I wasn't utilizing that setting and if I was more then just one light would be on and it would be steady not blinking.

Then I decided to poke around the draw a bit and I took it out of shabbos mode and I couldn't believe what I saw! The light was still blinking!! I hadn't noticed it before because the much brighter interior lights were on and in shabbos mode the main lights are off so this single green one sticks out but now this means it has nothing at all to with the shabbos mode, and now my question is even greater, what is this light all about?

So far I haven't found any reason at all and I don't know where else to look.
You have a picture of where this light your talking about is located? Or what it looks like?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »
You have a picture of where this light your talking about is located? Or what it looks like?

The center light:

el=0

Offline smaxber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2022, 01:14:41 PM »
I’m using the magnet trick.
Are water dispensers allowed if light doesn’t activate? If so, anyone have any tricks to deactivate that light?

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »
I’m using the magnet trick.
Are water dispensers allowed if light doesn’t activate? If so, anyone have any tricks to deactivate that light?
I imagine it would have the same din as a water fountain
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2022, 11:46:56 PM »
Random tidbit: I recently met the chief engineer of GE appliances at a show. I asked her how they feel about making kosher solutions for such a small audience, do they really care for it and feel it's worth the effort? She replied that they actually find it particularly enjoyable, all the engineers love working on the project.

That's all.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2022, 12:14:09 AM »
I imagine it would have the same din as a water fountain
I don’t think it’s comparable at all. In my fridge it is a digital button to dispense the water. I assume many other as well. A water fountain is a mechanical faucet Like your sink.
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2022, 12:55:18 AM »
I don’t think it’s comparable at all. In my fridge it is a digital button to dispense the water. I assume many other as well. A water fountain is a mechanical faucet Like your sink.
True point, I don't believe a water fountain can be used unless unplugged
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2022, 12:56:47 AM »
AYLOR
My fridge disables the water when light switch is turned off
["-"]

Offline smaxber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
AYLOR
I wish mine did

mine is not a button but more like a lever that you depress with the cup

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Modern Refrigerators and &quot;Shabbos Mode&quot;
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2022, 10:00:06 AM »

mine is not a button but more like a lever that you depress with the cup
This can also be a button
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2022, 11:36:43 PM »
AYLOR
Logic is very simple
The dispenser is in the fridge and they assume that if the door is closed you don't want water running in the fridge when a tomato is pressing against it

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2022, 10:17:55 AM »
Logic is very simple
The dispenser is in the fridge and they assume that if the door is closed you don't want water running in the fridge when a tomato is pressing against it
I'd be a lot happier if my KitchenAid had that security feature, it does not
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ