Author Topic: Verizon FIOS upgrade deals? OR cancel and sign-up?  (Read 8383 times)

Offline yitzyk

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Verizon FIOS upgrade deals? OR cancel and sign-up?
« on: October 10, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »
It has been a while since Verizon FIOS deals were discussed here (I searched past threads.)

I currently have Verizon FIOS 1 Mbps (yes that is not a typo) at approximately $37/month plus $3 tax for a total of $40/month. (Technically, the bill shows $77/month for the service, minus a $40 customer loyalty credit.) I have this for many many years - hence the low speed. Lately the service has been deteriorating and as more and more devices in the house use internet, it is time to upgrade. Plus, I am also hoping to switch my copper-line phone service over to VOIP. (Suggestions on that are also welcome.)

I looked at Verizon's FIOS website. Although they make it difficult to get accurate price quotes with actually entering your info, it seems to me that they are offering much lower prices to NEW customers than to existing customers who want to upgrade. A chat with a rep yielded me weird prices that were artificially inflated but then lowered somewhat by that $40 'customer loyalty' discount. But still higher than the advertised prices.

For example, online showed a 25Mbps plan (25 times faster than my current service, should be sufficient,) for $35/month. That would come out slightly LESS than my current bill. But because it is less, their system will not let me have it. It only allows the next level, which is 50Mbps for more money. After adding $10 for the new router, but then -$5 credit towards a new router, and taxes, the total came out to $65/month. Note though that the estimate they sent me actually showed the monthly cost as $95/month, to which they then applied the $40 customer loyalty credit. Who needs a loyalty credit, when they advertise the 50Mbps plan online to new customers for only $55/month?!

Ideally, I don't want my bill to go up.

Questions:
1 - how can I get the best deal on an upgrade? Do I threaten to cancel?

2 - If I can't get a good deal on an upgrade, can I cancel instead and then later sign up for new service? How long do I have to wait between? Do I need to use a different person in my house to re-apply?

3 - Can I later 'downgrade' my service, to sign up for 50Mbps and then ask for 25Mbps to lower my bill?

4 - If I use their router, can I later buy my own and send theirs back to eliminate the monthly rental charge?

5 - Can I add on the 'inside wiring coverage' option for only part of the time? I don't want them to blame my wiring if I can't get it to work. I want them to come down and fix it if they do blame my wiring. But once it is working, I would like to drop the wiring coverage.

Thanks. Suggestions welcome.

Offline greathummer7

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon FIOS upgrade deals? OR cancel and sign-up?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
It has been a while since Verizon FIOS deals were discussed here (I searched past threads.)

I currently have Verizon FIOS 1 Mbps (yes that is not a typo) at approximately $37/month plus $3 tax for a total of $40/month. (Technically, the bill shows $77/month for the service, minus a $40 customer loyalty credit.) I have this for many many years - hence the low speed. Lately the service has been deteriorating and as more and more devices in the house use internet, it is time to upgrade. Plus, I am also hoping to switch my copper-line phone service over to VOIP. (Suggestions on that are also welcome.)

I looked at Verizon's FIOS website. Although they make it difficult to get accurate price quotes with actually entering your info, it seems to me that they are offering much lower prices to NEW customers than to existing customers who want to upgrade. A chat with a rep yielded me weird prices that were artificially inflated but then lowered somewhat by that $40 'customer loyalty' discount. But still higher than the advertised prices.

For example, online showed a 25Mbps plan (25 times faster than my current service, should be sufficient,) for $35/month. That would come out slightly LESS than my current bill. But because it is less, their system will not let me have it. It only allows the next level, which is 50Mbps for more money. After adding $10 for the new router, but then -$5 credit towards a new router, and taxes, the total came out to $65/month. Note though that the estimate they sent me actually showed the monthly cost as $95/month, to which they then applied the $40 customer loyalty credit. Who needs a loyalty credit, when they advertise the 50Mbps plan online to new customers for only $55/month?!

Ideally, I don't want my bill to go up.

Questions:
1 - how can I get the best deal on an upgrade? Do I threaten to cancel?

2 - If I can't get a good deal on an upgrade, can I cancel instead and then later sign up for new service? How long do I have to wait between? Do I need to use a different person in my house to re-apply?

3 - Can I later 'downgrade' my service, to sign up for 50Mbps and then ask for 25Mbps to lower my bill?

4 - If I use their router, can I later buy my own and send theirs back to eliminate the monthly rental charge?

5 - Can I add on the 'inside wiring coverage' option for only part of the time? I don't want them to blame my wiring if I can't get it to work. I want them to come down and fix it if they do blame my wiring. But once it is working, I would like to drop the wiring coverage.

Thanks. Suggestions welcome.

Start here:

https://slickdeals.net/f/10817763-verizon-fios-100-100-mbps-internet-only-plan-new-customers-only-39-99-month-auto-pay-required

This threads answers all of your questions plus more.

Offline yitzyk

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks! Very good info there. Not everything, but a lot.

Offline moufwash

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
I dont know if you need to upgrade your verizon modem/router or not. but theres an option to bring your own modem/router for extra savings. i got mine on ebay for 60$

Offline yitzyk

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
Did they provide instructions on setting it up?

Offline greathummer7

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Did they provide instructions on setting it up?

if you have the old verizon large grey boxes, they’ll probably have to come and swap it out for a new “ONT”. if you sign up as a new customer, the installation fee is waived.

yes you can buy your own quantum gateway router and save on the rental.

Offline moufwash

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »
yes they sent detailed instructions on how to plug in the modem/router as part of the welcome package.the model of modem/router may depend on the speed of your package. i have 100/100 so i needed the quantum gateway (g1100)

Offline sysg1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »
yes they sent detailed instructions on how to plug in the modem/router as part of the welcome package.the model of modem/router may depend on the speed of your package. i have 100/100 so i needed the quantum gateway (g1100)
Or you could use a normal router and still get full speeds.
I have 100/100 while using a Asus router.

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
Or you could use a normal router and still get full speeds.
I have 100/100 while using a Asus router.

What model router?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
I cancelled fios 4 days after the bill was generated and the lady claims that it's not a prorated bill and if I cancel 1 or 29 days later I have to pay the full bill.

Can anyone verify that?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
I cancelled fios 4 days after the bill was generated and the lady claims that it's not a prorated bill and if I cancel 1 or 29 days later I have to pay the full bill.

Can anyone verify that?
Yes, if its internet only. Verizon is the worst. Let me save you my 3 plus hours spent on the phone with supervisors and managers. Verizon will not prorate on internet only packages. I had already been promised that it would be prorated but they told me to go to hell.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Yes, if its internet only. Verizon is the worst. Let me save you my 3 plus hours spent on the phone with supervisors and managers. Verizon will not prorate on internet only packages. I had already been promised that it would be prorated but they told me to go to hell.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:33 PM »
:'( :'( :'(
Yup. I had like $600 credit from an Amex promo in there, My contract ended and they upped me to $100 a month for internet only. I took me 3 months to realize what they did. I tried cancelling, and they told me it would be prorated.. I really had it with them, optimum isn't as good, but I just refuse to give those thieves my business.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »
Yup. I had like $600 credit from an Amex promo in there, My contract ended and they upped me to $100 a month for internet only. I took me 3 months to realize what they did. I tried cancelling, and they told me it would be prorated.. I really had it with them, optimum isn't as good, but I just refuse to give those thieves my business.

What speed did you have from verizon? what do you have from optimum?

I had 50/50 from verizon ( for 8.5 years!) and I just got the 200/35 from optimum and so far (few days) optimum is kicking verizon out of the water! I've never had such a pleasure on wifi or wired before in my house.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
What speed did you have from verizon? what do you have from optimum?

I had 50/50 from verizon ( for 8.5 years!) and I just got the 200/35 from optimum and so far (few days) optimum is kicking verizon out of the water! I've never had such a pleasure on wifi or wired before in my house.
I think I have 200/200. Issue is optimum infastructure is bad by me, and I lose service for a couple of minuites at random times, very annoying. What are you paying now for optimum?

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
I think I have 200/200. Issue is optimum infastructure is bad by me, and I lose service for a couple of minuites at random times, very annoying. What are you paying now for optimum?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »
Yup that's what I am paying too.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
False advertising? Fios 100 mbps is 39.99
https://www.verizon.com/home/MLP/OnlineVZ.html?x1=GIGSA
Well they were charging me $100 for that same 100 mbps, so there you have it. Even with a new contract they isnsited that $55 was the lowest they can go.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »
Well they were charging me $100 for that same 100 mbps, so there you have it. Even with a new contract they isnsited that $55 was the lowest they can go.

I got the same speech and only when I actually called to cancel did they finally start brownnosing and offered me the $39 with a grand total of $47. I said you're too late! optimum was already installed and I already had bought the modem from amazon.

If I wouldn't have already bought the modem I would've take the $47 since I couldn't easily return it, I would've had to pay the shipping back. Plus, the fios modem is where it was initially installed years ago which is no longer an ideal spot for me, I had cable put theirs where I want it and it's much better this way.

I'll try my luck again next year with verizon