Author Topic: Mega millions $1.6BB  (Read 67347 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mega millions $1.6BB
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
Guys keep it cool one step at a time first lets see someone should win, and the winner should be a ddfer, and of course yesitsme, then w'll argue how to deal with it. in the meantime there's no winner let alone ddfer.
["-"]

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Guys keep it cool one step at a time first lets see someone should win, and the winner should be a ddfer, and of course yesitsme, then w'll argue how to deal with it. in the meantime there's no winner let alone ddfer.
Can I change my nic to noitsme?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2018, 10:06:55 PM »
Can I change my nic to noitsme?
Which Gender would you use?
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2018, 10:11:34 PM »
I'd take the lump sum and invest it unless you're concerned about money management and blowing through the money quickly. The rate of return is low in the annuity option. You can make more yourself.
Where can you make more than 3.5% with zero risk?
Also don't forget to factor than the annuity option gives you time to move to a no income tax state.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:41 PM »
Which Gender would you use?
Both

Where can I get a scale? i'm afraid its 50/50
How about non of above, Crazy

["-"]

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Where can you make more than 3.5% with zero risk?
Also don't forget to factor than the annuity option gives you time to move to a no income tax state.

1. If you have that kind of money you'd be stupid to invest it all in high quality bonds (though there definitely are ways to get 30 year rates of around that amount with similar amounts of risk). You should be investing in a more diversified way. You have options with the lump sum. Though again - if you aren't disciplined enough to save and invest wisely, the annuity is a safer option.
2. Are you sure that's true? I'm pretty sure you'd pay taxes to the state you purchased the ticket in regardless of where you move to. What you're saying may work out if you buy lottery tickets from states like DE, but most of us don't travel to buy tickets so that if we win we'd save 8%.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
1. If you have that kind of money you'd be stupid to invest it all in high quality bonds (though there definitely are ways to get 30 year rates of around that amount with similar amounts of risk). You should be investing in a more diversified way. You have options with the lump sum. Though again - if you aren't disciplined enough to save and invest wisely, the annuity is a safer option.
2. Are you sure that's true? I'm pretty sure you'd pay taxes to the state you purchased the ticket in regardless of where you move to. What you're saying may work out if you buy lottery tickets from states like DE, but most of us don't travel to buy tickets so that if we win we'd save 8%.

First of all, it should go by where you live, not where you buy it.
Second of all, why would you pay taxes on future earnings from a annuity to where you bought the ticket or where you live now? The first payment might go to NY if you live there, but if you move to FL next year why wouldn't the next 29 payments be state tax free?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »
First of all, it should go by where you live, not where you buy it.
Second of all, why would you pay taxes on future earnings from a annuity to where you bought the ticket or where you live now? The first payment might go to NY if you live there, but if you move to FL next year why wouldn't the next 29 payments be state tax free?

1. Check on that. I dont think that's true. I think it's first based on where you earn the income, which is the state listed on the ticket. Of course you could also have to pay taxes in your own state as well, but moving could alleviate that burden.
2. Again, I don't think this is correct. Are you saying that based on your knowledge of taxes or based on your intuition?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »
Of course speak to a tax professional if this becomes relevant to you, and I suspect not all states handle this the same way, but:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/income/pub140w.pdf

Q: I won a prize in a New York State Lottery drawing that was held while I was a resident of
New York State. I moved out of New York State before I claimed my prize. Later that same
year, I came back to New York State just to claim my prize payment. How does my change
from a resident to a nonresident affect my New York State income tax obligation with respect to
the lottery prize payment that I received as a nonresident? Do I still have to pay New York State
taxes?

A: When you change your status from a resident of New York State to a nonresident of
New York State and are entitled to receive a prize payment from a lottery prize won while
you were a resident, you must pay New York State income tax on the payment(s) you are
entitled to receive, even if the prize payment is received during the nonresident period of your
tax year. As a part-year New York State resident, you must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and
Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, and include in New York source income the amount of
the prize payment received.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2018, 10:46:30 PM »
Of course speak to a tax professional if this becomes relevant to you, and I suspect not all states handle this the same way, but:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/income/pub140w.pdf

Note that it doesn't make a difference if you claim the prize after you move. Also, the kicker is you have to pay NYC tax if you were a resident of NYC when you were entitled to the prize even if you move afterward. So if you think you may win, try to make an argument that you actually changed residency right before purchasing the ticket. Maybe they'll buy the argument that your purchase was "al minas" that you would change residency limafreia after you win.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:16 PM »
Note that it doesn't make a difference if you claim the prize after you move. Also, the kicker is you have to pay NYC tax if you were a resident of NYC when you were entitled to the prize even if you move afterward. So if you think you may win, try to make an argument that you actually changed residency right before purchasing the ticket. Maybe they'll buy the argument that your purchase was "al minas" that you would change residency limafreia after you win.
Your link doesn't talk about future payments in years where you had no residency - only payments in years you lived at least partially in NY.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2018, 11:07:06 PM »
Your link doesn't talk about future payments in years where you had no residency - only payments in years you lived at least partially in NY.

Here's one explicit line (referring to after you move out of NYS):
In the case of a prize that is payable in installments, you must file Form IT-203 for each future tax
year that you receive an installment payment.

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2018, 01:39:37 AM »
First win  :)then worry about taxes.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »
seriously

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
Nah, if I won I wondn't worry about anything. I'd pay a big firm to handle it and leave me alone.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Mega millions $1BB
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »
I am making a DDF group for $20 a spot 20 people Max please PM if interested
doing this again. Buying tickets tonight please PM if interested

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
I'll join a group of 10 or 20 where everyone splits one ticket :)

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
I'll join a group of 10 or 20 where everyone splits one ticket :)
I think you should buy a ticket for the people with Top 10 Hts to split if you win

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:33 AM »
I think you should buy a ticket for the people with Top 10 Hts to split if you win
They've already been rewarded :)

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
They've already been rewarded :)
this will be like the DOs