umm ok I guess
Products generally cheaper at Bingo:

Minyanim times:

Shacharis: 10:00 AM
Mincha: 3:00 PM
Mincha: 3:00 PM
Maariv: 9:00 PM
« Last edited by myi on August 24, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »

Author Topic: Bingo Wholesale Club Lakewood  (Read 194193 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bingo Wholesale Club Lakewood
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »
Not everyone is like you and makes everything a fight.

IF Rabbonim believe this is a serious Kashrus issue and a michshol, all they have to do is publicize the issues with said berries. If the עולם cares, they won't buy, and I would presume that Bingo won't carry it (just like I presume they don't carry Hebrew National, because there are no buyers).

Rabbonim are all unanimous that these cannot be eaten. That they are a serious kashrus issue, and that there is a michshol.

There are no rabbonim who hold otherwise. There are no frum hechsherim who say otherwise.

These are the facts.

Now with these facts in hand, how do *you* feel about stores selling to the frum community selling them?

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »
Rabbonim are all unanimous that these cannot be eaten. That they are a serious kashrus issue, and that there is a michshol.

There are no rabbonim who hold otherwise. There are no frum hechsherim who say otherwise.

These are the facts.

Now with these facts in hand, how do *you* feel about stores selling to the frum community selling them?
it's interesting that the Boston Area kosher stores cannot sell items deemed uncheckable but in Lakewood all the stores sell them

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2019, 09:04:03 PM »

And that is exactly the problem. People see it in the store, assume it can't be that bad because Bingo is selling it and " someone IS buying it, or they wouldn't carry it"and therefore assume that they can also buy it.
So basically entrapping the ill informed to assume it's ok.
And here stands the main issue. With this and with the Mezuzos.

When did we stop teaching our children that YOU need to make sure the food is kosher before YOU eat it. YOU need to make sure your Mezuzos are kosher before YOU use them.
Since when do we rely on business people trying there hardest to earn a living and feed there families to dictate to us what is kosher and what isn't, what is on "our standard" and what isn't?

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »

Seriously?

Lakewood is such a rural and dispersed community, with poor communication. Are there any local Kashrus organizations who care about Kashrus?

Ftfy

it's interesting that the Boston Area kosher stores cannot sell items deemed uncheckable but in Lakewood all the stores sell them

Rofl

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline msg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
What is the membership card all about?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »

These are the facts.

What difference does it make how I feel about it? The question is what, if anything, should be done about it?

A friend told me that in his shul the cell phone situation was getting out of hand. Initially he thought of signs and regulations, but instead he began a series of shiurim about Davening. He said that was more effective than anything else he has seen in curbing the cell phone in shul issues.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »

And that is exactly the problem. People see it in the store, assume it can't be that bad because Bingo is selling it and " someone IS buying it, or they wouldn't carry it"and therefore assume that they can also buy it.
So basically entrapping the ill informed to assume it's ok.
yes, it is a serious issue that people will buy and eat something just because some purchasing manager who they know nothing about stocked it for a store.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »

These are the facts.

+1

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
And here stands the main issue. With this and with the Mezuzos.

When did we stop teaching our children that YOU need to make sure the food is kosher before YOU eat it. YOU need to make sure your Mezuzos are kosher before YOU use them.
Since when do we rely on business people trying there hardest to earn a living and feed there families to dictate to us what is kosher and what isn't, what is on "our standard" and what isn't?
yes, it is a serious issue that people will buy and eat something just because some purchasing manager who they know nothing about stocked it for a store.
Yes, these are the real issues. Still, it's utterly astounding that there are so many people like this that it's financially worthwhile for Bingo to stock them. I was SHOCKED when I saw them there.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »

These are the facts.

You're definitely right. It's a serious case of lifney iver.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
Not everyone is like you and makes everything a fight.

IF Rabbonim believe this is a serious Kashrus issue and a michshol, all they have to do is publicize the issues with said berries. If the עולם cares, they won't buy, and I would presume that Bingo won't carry it (just like I presume they don't carry Hebrew National, because there are no buyers).
Overall (not talking about specific communities)  Most ppl buy anything that their local grocery sells as long as it's says the work Kosher. I'm not saying that in a negative way, just as a fact. Publicizing helps ppl that are familiar somewhat with kashrus, be aware of the issue, but it usually doesn't have a big effort on the purchases.
That's the difference between a small and large community

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »
Sad rather than funny
Everyone has a different way of dealing with sad situations...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »
Yes, these are the real issues. Still, it's utterly astounding that there are so many people like this that it's financially worthwhile for Bingo to stock them. I was SHOCKED when I saw them there.

Bingo in BP gets non-Jewish shoppers. Do they not allow non-Jewish shoppers in Lakewood?

And as for lifnei iver... Might be more of a chinuch problem, as my friend aygart said:

-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2019, 11:07:37 PM »
You're definitely right. It's a serious case of lifney iver.

What's the big deal, they're honest about it...

The products in the store are "mostly kosher," Weiss said.
Visibly Jewish

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »

https://oukosher.org/ou-guide-to-checking-produce-and-more/

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
He tells me he takes no responsibility; he only works for the agency and is doing hos job. He would not eat at most of the places and privately tells people who ask him the same...
wow. That’s sad. I hope G-d accepts that for an answer as well, although I have a hard time thinking He will.

your post is why I’m a fan of bigger hashgachos. Money is not the end all to them and they can afford to drop their hashgacha if they need to. The smaller ones are far less likely as their overhead needs to be covered.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
wow. That’s sad. I hope G-d accepts that for an answer as well, although I have a hard time thinking He will.

your post is why I’m a fan of bigger hashgachos. Money is not the end all to them and they can afford to drop their hashgacha if they need to. The smaller ones are far less likely as their overhead needs to be covered.

It’s not always for the money. Sometimes they rationalize that the establishments and or clientele (certain segments are traditionally oriented but don’t have a high level of observance) will migrate to an even lower standard without them so they consider it a necessary to compromise and sometimes look the other way....

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
Lakewood is not what is used to be. If the rabbonim put out an alert it would have to cover a good chunk of many of the grocery store produce aisles- Andy Boy Romaine,Broccoli, and literally dozens of produce items, some of which a consumer could conceivably clean if they took a course, but in practice will almost always be consumed in a manner that even the OU would not accept, and other items that are almost impossible to clean properly according to any mainstream kashrush agency.
Seriously? You're bunching together Andy Boy Romaine with Broccoli (and blackberries)? Many people regularly buy and check Andy Boy Romaine lettuce, nothing wrong with that, on the contrary, it serves as a chinuch for the household to know that we don't just buy everything packaged and ready to eat.

Yeah, the stores may tell you that you can technically filter and use the juice; go take an informal survey of the purchasers and see how many plan on using the product that way....

The rabbonim sometimes have to pick their battles....
Well, if everything is viewed as a battle, then there will definitely be losers! But if things are done in an educating way, maybe a few more people would be saved from a potential michshol. What's wrong with send out a reminder through all schools (and other methods) that Blackberries are considered highly infested and are so difficult to inspect/clean that all kashrus authorities/rabbonim don't allow it in their homes or in food establishments under their supervision.

And that’s just the retail scene. Ask anyone involved in the restaurant scene ( I’m talking in general, not Lakewood) and they will tell you that there is a huge gap between theory and practice; many kashrus agencies have official protocol for vegetable checking and washing in restaurants under their supervision that in practice are routinely violated. Often the mashgiach is a kid who is getting paid a pittance to check all the vegetables as well as do general restaurant work. There are often way more vegetables to be processed than are practicaly able to be processed in the time frame provided. I know someone in charge of supervising masgichim for restaurants under a hashgacha in NJ who has story after story. He has caught restaurants with batches of vegetables that they claimed were checked that turned out the staff lied and just dumped in a bin for use. They get a reprimand but the agency that he works for won’t drop them for various cheshbonos. He tells me he takes no responsibility; he only works for the agency and is doing hos job. He would not eat at most of the places and privately tells people who ask him the same...
When it comes to a restaurant, the rule of thumb should be: if I won't eat in the owner's home, I won't eat in his restaurant. 
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »
It is not even bdi'eved.This would be bitul issur lichatchila and therefore assur.
ETA:
This
Are you saying that any produce that may not be eaten whole, may not be eaten blended?

It’s not always for the money. Sometimes they rationalize that the establishments and or clientele (certain segments are traditionally oriented but don’t have a high level of observance) will migrate to an even lower standard without them so they consider it a necessary to compromise and sometimes look the other way....
If this is the case, the hechsher and it's rabbanim are responsible for anyone who eats the non-kosher food that they certify.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.