Author Topic: Seattle Trip Report  (Read 3192 times)

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Seattle Trip Report
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
Seattle Trip Report:

Intro

Flights:

I was looking for a flight out of BWI. I actually wanted to use up my stash of British Avios so  for around a month I was calling British and trying to find availability from anwhere on the East Coast using my Avios. In the Summer on a Sunday I was unable to find anything. In the end I settled on a United flight from BWI to ORD connecting to SEA. Price I paid was $250 per ticket. For a Sunday in the Summer a week before thought it was reasonable.
The way back was a second part of a TLV round-trip. The first leg of the trip was TLV- FRA – PHL. Second leg was SEA – FRA- TLV. Price paid $1222 per ticket.

Rental Car:

Rented an Audi with SilverCar we paid effectively paid $168 for Sunday night – Wednesday using the Dansdeals promo code ( Thanks Dan!). Every other rental agency wanted at least $300 for those days.

Hotels:

We stayed by a relative a few minutes from the shul in the Seward Park area of town.

Things we did:

Day 1: Seattle Beneath the Streets Underground Tour, “UPS” Park, Quick stop at Seattle Space Needle just for pictures), drive by the waterfront including Safeco Field, BBQ at Seward Park.
Day 2: Boeing Factory Tour ( saw 777X) and exhibit area (Future of Flight), Snoqualmie Falls + trail, drive around Museum of Aviation ( but not inside).

Stay Tuned for the ins and out of everything we did!

Offline jose34

• View Profile
Re: Seattle Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
Be more then happy to write a trip report if there is interest. Otherwise just dont think its worth my time. Sorry guys.

Anyone - feel free to PM with questions you may have about Seattle.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Please do!

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »
Part 2:

SEATTLE – I was trying to find award availability on Alaska Air thorough BA since mid- June no availability came forth though. I kept on holding out and in the end I broke and around the week before with no availability I ended up purchasing a BWI- ORD – SEA for $250 person. I bought these tickets since the timing worked out nicely for me. Leaving BWI in the early afternoon and getting in at night.

In BWI we visited The Club Lounge which is small but it’s actually nice and has some good kosher snacking options plus it had a nice selection of drinks.

Boeing 737-9 from BWI – ORD was very squashy with a very little leg room

Boeing 757-3 from ORD – SEA had more leg room but we also got exit row seats due to a family wanting to sit together. The United flight attendants
handled the situation very professionally and I was impressed.

IN ORD the plane was loaded with passengers and then they made an announcement that due to wildfires in Canada they needed to space out arrivals in SEA, so they drove to a remote part of the airport and we waited for an hour, as a nice gesture United offered free Direct TV to everyone during that hour “delay”.

I reserved a SilverCar  in which they told me if I arrived after 11:00 PM I would have to pick up the car tomorrow.  I was supposed to land at 10:04 PM  but in the end we landed at 10:50, I immediately texted SilverCar and they confirmed they would stay open for me.

Silver Car Rental

SilverCar then preceded to text me information in how to get to them. After getting my bags I walked out to the Courtesy Vehicles and Taxi Pickup up and got picked up by Jiffies Shuttle van service a few minutes later. I was the last stop after they dropped off four other people in the same parking lot. Jiffies  is a private parking lot and I think Silver Car rents space from them so hence Silver Car uses them for their pickups and drop-offs. When we got there the car was ready for us and the worker gave us and a quick intro and we were on our way.
We paid $193 for three days, not including my bonus for using the Dans Deal referral code 

We were staying by someone we knew in Seward Park area of Seattle, this is the main Jewish area, the drive from the Airport to Seward Park area at 12:00 at night was really confusing and we got lost multiple times trying to find our way. The confusing part was staying on the I-5 like five minutes out of the airport, the road has some interesting forks and we went in like three circles till we figured out how to go the correct way! Eventually we found ourselves on I- 5 N and we got off a few exits later and managed to make it to the house were we were staying.

In the morning, I went to davning in the main Ashkenazi shul, Bikur Cholim-Machzikay Hadas on  S Morgan St. a few blocks away from us. They had 2 minyanim 6:40 and 7:40. There was also a Sefardi shul that has an earlier davinnig Then we headed out to downtown to explore the city.
We were looking at the one of the Underground Seattle Tours, they were 2 tour Bill Speidel's Underground Tour and Beneath The Streets. One focused more on the history and the other one seemed like it was more for entertainment not possible not so clean, We choose the more historic  tour (Beneath The Streets) and it was right tour for us, it lasted around a hour was very informative, the tour guide, Patti ( I think) although was not necessarily funny but she kept the tour moving and it was very interesting. While we are not so into tours this tour was actually good.

The tour walks around the “old” city blocks of Seattle and they describe how the city used to look like before they had a fire in the 1890’s,  and how they have a level of the city underground.

As side note they say it’s safer to make reservations for the tour but for us it was totally fine and we did not have to wait.
On our way back to the car we stopped by the UPS Park – a small man made walk through park with some park with grass, trees and a manmade waterfall. Supposedly this is where the place where UPS started.

After that we found our car and drove a few minutes to the Space Needle to some pictures. (Not sure why people would go all the way up, I think it costs around $35 to up there) then drove past the waterfront, the waterfront there some nice sights to see like the Ferris Wheel , the Aquarium, Century Link field and Safeco Field. We headed back up town and had a BBQ supper in Seward Park by the lake then davnined Mincha/ Marriv back at the Shul and called it a day.

Day two coming up!

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
Nice!Seattle was probably one of the most surprising cities in that we enjoyed it a lot more than we though we would. We bought a tourist pass that gave access to the space needle. I would certainly not have paid for it by itself.
Agreed, the underground tour is very cool.

I always thought silver car picks you up in the car you are renting so you can just load up your luggage and go. The national in seattle has a really nice selection.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
Nice!Seattle was probably one of the most surprising cities in that we enjoyed it a lot more than we though we would. We bought a tourist pass that gave access to the space needle. I would certainly not have paid for it by itself.
Agreed, the underground tour is very cool.

I always thought silver car picks you up in the car you are renting so you can just load up your luggage and go. The national in seattle has a really nice selection.

Silvercar was actually the cheapest rental car option when we looked!

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:44:11 PM »
Waiting for the rest of the TR... planning to be in SEA for one day in May

Thanks!

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
Part 3

The next day I davned by the earlier minyan and we drove around an hour away to the Boeing Tour at the Future of Flight. The GPS took on a nice scenic route around the Seward Park Lake. I think the longer route was because it wanted to take us around the traffic but regardless it was nice route that I did not take us any extra longer.

Boeing Tour at the Future of Flight

For the factory tour we were supposed to be there 30 – 45  minutes before not sure why, if you order tickets online you do you need to be there to pick up your tickets but that takes five minutes even with a line. They did not allow camera’s or phone on the tour but they had lockers at the entrance to put valuables in. (They did have a big sign about not leaving valuables in the car.) Besides for the actual tour you were allowed cameras and cellphones in the other parts of the plant such as the runway observatory for Paine Field (Airport) and the few exhibits they had explaining how aerodynamics work.

The factory tour started with twelve minute video about Boeing’s mission. Then we were split up onto busses with an individual tour guide for each bus. We headed off on a five minute trip across the runaway to one of the biggest buildings in the world by capacity. This building is the main factory in Everett. Boeing has a few factories in and around Seattle as well on one of the East Coast that makes the 787-10 I think there were two stops on the tour. If I remember correctly this factory makes the 747 Cargo, 767, 777 and the 787 some army airplanes.

The first stop was 747 Cargo and the 767 and then the second stop we saw 777 and the 787-9 being made. Each production line had around five planes being made currently, all in different stages of production. You were able tell who’s the plane was being made since the plane’s wings were already painted those airlines colors.

When viewing the 787 on the production line there was ELAL Plane like 2 from the back. Another cool thing we saw was the new 777x with foldable wings. (This is back in August) We saw the two planes from far away. One was just a model; the other one was the real deal and is/will be the first plane 777x to fly.

Getting back on the bus and driving back over the Paine Field runway we saw a few planes finished planes waiting to get their “first start up”. When we got back to the main building, they let us out in the Boeing Factory Store.

After that we went to see the these few exhibits they had, some of the exhibits they had was understanding how lift and thrust work, a cutout of a fuselage seeing how high it is, you saw ceiling, the seats and then finally the floor underneath the seats where the cargo was kept. Finally, for a limited time there was mockup of new prototype of an interior of a plane in which you “board” with like 30 people or so and you get this controller and you get the answer questions about cabin like how did you feel in your seat, would you enjoy flying this plane on a flight of more than 5 hours etc… Whole experience lasted like 15 minutes I remember correctly. It was kind of cool.     

In the same building they had this observatory in which you could view Paine Field runway (now a commercial airport), from there you were able to see the Boeing 747 Plane Loader (similar to the Airbus Bulga- used to transport parts), it was there at first it was there but when we came back from the Boeing Tour it was not there anymore. Regardless, from this rooftop you were able to see all the planes that came out of the factory and were being finished or waiting for a customer to take them.  I assume if you get there at the right time it cool to see a brand new plane taking off.
We got to the factory for the 10:30 tour and we were finished by around 12:30. Looking for the next thing to do someone suggested Snoqualmie Falls so we headed there around an hour away from Boeing and around an hour away from Seattle as well.

Snoqualmie Falls

A small tip: around Snoqualmie Falls there is a cheap place to fill up on gas.
The are two parts to the Falls the top part in which you can see the falls – there are three streams of water that fall down one “cliff”, these streams sometimes combine into. It was the summer so the falls were not so strong but they say during the winter or if when it rains a lot it gets really strong and you can feel the mist from the pathway. The falls drop 270 feet down. The top is nice and you either hike down a forest lined path to the bottom of the falls or you can take your car and drive there. We hiked. They warn you that walking down is like walking down a 30 story building. Actual time to hike I think took us around an around an hour, hour and half round trip from the top, chilling at the bottom and then coming back up.  Either way the hike is nice and bottom of the falls are nice also. There is also a place to go “swimming” in the water and there were people swimming there. Overall nice waterfalls, nice scenic view at the top, nice scenic few at the bottom and a nice hike.

Museum of Flight, Well kind of!
Driving back towards Seattle we still had time before Mincha so we took a drive or a few drives (!) and a stop the past the other Boeing Factory  - the one that makes the 737’s and Museum of Flight. It costs money to go in to the Museum and it closed at 5 pm. So we when we got there close to the closing time it was not worth it to go in. Driving past though we got to see some cool planes from the Museum that partially viewable from the street and there were also some cool 737’s that were parked outside the 737 factory that we got to see We spent around a half hour – fourty five minutes there there just checking out the area and headed back towards Seward Park.

Our last ¼ of a day we spent in Seattle I davned by the Sefardi Minyan. Stopped by Seward Lake on the way out and went back to the airport. We dropped off the car by Silver Car, it took a little longer to check in" the car and what was weird was the SilverCar worker took our Car to pick someone up from the Terminal while we waited with for Jiffies Shuttle to come pick us up. Not sure why that happened….

The SEA-TAC airport was really crowded and had check in counters on the both sides of the departures hall. We checked in our bags and went to security, having TSA Precheck we thought security would be faster; another weird thing was when we got to one of the five security check point a TSA employee was telling everyone to go down the hallway to next line, and there was massive line even for TSA Precheck but still the line really moved and within 5 – 10 minutes we were through. 

Airport Lounges
We checked out two lounges The Amex Centurion Lounge which was crowded but the non-kosher Chinese food smelled really good. It also had a shower in which I wanted to check out but I did not. As far as kosher options they did not really have any.
I wanted to go to the Alaska Lounges but they were too far away so in the end we went to The Club – South Satellite which was closer to gate and we actually had trouble finding it since we thought it was a floor above the terminal but in the end it was on the same level as the gates. It was crowded by we did find room to sit. They had better kosher snacking options and also cans of soda instead of a bar. After being there for like twenty minutes we boarded our Lufthansa flight to Israel via FRA.   

I apologize for the lack of Pictures, but I’ll post what I have.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NPbtLodtXeOVF6fXKsEEWbq7qsaLicO9

Feel free to ask me any questions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:03:45 PM by jose34 »

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 10:44:53 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this!

Offline Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
Great report!

“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work