Author Topic: Disputed NYC parking and red light ticket question  (Read 3285 times)

Offline detaquito

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Disputed NYC parking and red light ticket question
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
I want to start by saying how amazing Amex Starwood dispute dept. is and then follow with 2 questions:

The story goes like this:
I rented a car from Enterprise and got a parking ticket and a red light (camera) ticket. It happened in NYC.
I got a charge from enterprise for the rental as well as two more separate charges each one for the amount of the ticket plus a $10 management fee.
I disputed the charges and the outcome was that the charges were valid because they were for violations during the rental.
I was about to pay the card for the charges and just then I decided to tell the Starwood rep that I still didn't recognize the charges and that I don't remeber having committed such violations, they started a second dispute. (All this while Enterprise didn't even bother paying those tickets, I checked on the parking ticket website).
The outcome of the second dispute was in my favor because Enterprise didn't present the necesary information and they dropped the charges.

Question #1: In the event that I get pulled over in the future, am I going through a risk of going to jail overnight like people with unpaid tickets who get pulled over? I know that the ticket is not on my name, but the rental was and maybe the cops have such information...

Question #2: Am I going to be blacklisted from Enterprise from now on?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:19:13 PM by Dan »

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: nyc parking and red light ticket question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
 #1 no worries the violations are on the owner of the car and Not the driver. (Being pulled over by a cop and given a tkt for a Red Light violation is on the Driver and Not the owner of teh car , so in that case you should be worried but not in yurs).

#2 thats very much possible, since Enterprise will have to pay the tkts out of its own pocket

#3 I believe if at any time in this case Enterprise does in fact submitt the proof that Amex asked for that Amex will recharge you for the tkts. Or Enterprise can simply rebill it and youd have to Dispute it all over again, from what I understand having won the dispute 1 time doesnt automatically mean it that the issuing CC will simply drop once told that

Please let us know if Enterprise does in fact rebill you, I cant see why they wouldnt

BTW if I borrow your car and get the same kinds of tkts and dont mention it to you, dont worry you will get them in the mail and be Required to pay them or else the registration can be Revoked I was told. You cant go to Court and say but Judgy steve 2 was driving the car at the time not me. Judgy will find you Guilty since the violations arent on the driver but the owner (thusly why I feel Enterprise if they have their act together will either be a callin again or simply give it over to a Collection Agency who will ramp up the amount of fees due)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: nyc parking and red light ticket question
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
I wouldn't worry about Enterprise.
They have let me off the hook like 3 times.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Fefferkorn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Disputed NYC parking and red light ticket question
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »
#1 no worries the violations are on the owner of the car and Not the driver. (Being pulled over by a cop and given a tkt for a Red Light violation is on the Driver and Not the owner of teh car , so in that case you should be worried but not in yurs).

Actually, when they scan the barcode on a rental car, the plate type is not the usual PAS (for passenger), instead its a rental plate type, so the cops can put the name of the renter on file and next time they pull him over he can get into trouble, dont you think?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Actually, when they scan the barcode on a rental car, the plate type is not the usual PAS (for passenger), instead its a rental plate type, so the cops can put the name of the renter on file and next time they pull him over he can get into trouble, dont you think?

NOPE

again in NY the Responsibilty is on the OWNER of the vechile and NOT the driver, if it was on the driver then they would be getting  Pts as well. Now if a cop pulls you over then its all about the Driver and has nothing to do with who the Owner is and youd get Pts if found or plead Guilty, which isnt teh case with being caught by the camera

On top of that I highly doubt that the cops will ever know the person who was driving. What if I rent a car and you are a 2nd driver and you were driving the car and got caught by the camera how will anyone know who was the driver at the time?? thast why in NY its all about the Owner and they couldnt care who was driving and thers no drivers pic in the pic just of the front and back plates and the car

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:00:07 AM »
These tickets are on the car owner, not the driver. So remember that when you lend your car out:)