Author Topic: ticket  (Read 9114 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: ticket
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
I'm sure  OH is not alone but they are vicious, I know many people (and have witnessed it myself) that have experienced it. Cops sit right when the limit goes down (or when you enter OH) and get you.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
I have drove countless times from Cleve to NJ/NY and usually in the 7 hour trip most of the cops are in OH

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
In OH they could give for going 9 over
if so, then u wont get points if ur going 9 or less over limit.

Ohio cops are deff the worst... also they flood the roads... like in NJ
im not so sure about that! i spent 2 weeks in NJ recently and the cops were litteraly everywhere - by every other u-turn. In Ohio its not as much but still a lot
(for ex. today i was driving on the 80 from Ohio to michigan and i saw at least 6 - 7 cops.

All I'll say is I've been driving in OH for 10 years and I've yet to get pulled over for a speeding ticket.  And I typically drive about 10 over.

And calling a $170 ticket expensive?  I got a ticket in LA that was much more than that and I was only doing about 12 over I think.   I think a red-light ticket in LA is $400 or so.  In CLE it's $100.
ya, my ticket was 2 months after i got my license.

and $400 is insane - that shouldnt be a legal ticket! its like u committed a serious crime.

I'm sure  OH is not alone but they are vicious, I know many people (and have witnessed it myself) that have experienced it. Cops sit right when the limit goes down (or when you enter OH) and get you.
+1

I have drove countless times from Cleve to NJ/NY and usually in the 7 hour trip most of the cops are in OH
+1
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:51:26 PM by Cbs »

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
Thanx.

I got the ticket last night. Its $195 + 2 point. The court date is Nov. 3rd.
Any ideas for me? I need to act fast.

In case anybody's interested,  here's the update;

Hired a lawyer,  he wanted $250 but I told him that I don't want to pay that much so he charged $200.

He was able to knock the ticket down to an equipment charge (non-moving violation/no points) which costs $150. Court fees is $96.

Total $446  >:( . Moral of the story - DO NOT SPEED especially on the 80, even if its at 5:00 AM

Thanx everyone for your input.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
On the 80 near exit 170 . The town is called newtonfalls.

I got pulled over at the exact same spot too !! For going 85 in a 65 MPH zone (this was right before they changed the turnpike speed limit to 70MPH).

In case anybody's interested,  here's the update;

Hired a lawyer,  he wanted $250 but I told him that I don't want to pay that much so he charged $200.

He was able to knock the ticket down to an equipment charge (non-moving violation/no points) which costs $150. Court fees is $96.

Total $446  >:( . Moral of the story - DO NOT SPEED especially on the 80, even if its at 5:00 AM

Wow, that's a lot of money  :(
I took the advice of a Jewish truck driver (from NY) I know well. He advised me to just pay the ticket as soon as it get into the system. That way you somehow don't get points on your license. (I have know idea if this is actually true or not. I just know it worked out for me) I called the Newton falls court house about five times a day for three days right after I received my ticket. I paid my $200 fine immediately over the phone. I have checked my licence a couple of times since then. No points! AFAIK.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
Bingo! Just got one in Florida. Miami-Dade/Aventura for a orange-red light.
That place is flooded with cops, cop ticketed for red light running (it was yellow), it happened on Chanukah in a suburban with menorah and 8 boys going on mivtzoim, to top it all off it was raining really hard (there was major flooding that night in Miami/Ft lauderdale) cop spent 5 minutes on a guilt trip about responsibility for all the kids... Ticket was north of $300.
Got a lawyer who I knew to take care of it. he gave it to a friend who I had to pay just $20 and the ticket was struck from the records

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »
I got pulled over at the exact same spot too !! For going 85 in a 65 MPH zone (this was right before they changed the turnpike speed limit to 70MPH).

Wow, that's a lot of money  :(
I took the advice of a Jewish truck driver (from NY) I know well. He advised me to just pay the ticket as soon as it get into the system. That way you somehow don't get points on your license. (I have know idea if this is actually true or not. I just know it worked out for me) I called the Newton falls court house about five times a day for three days right after I received my ticket. I paid my $200 fine immediately over the phone. I have checked my licence a couple of times since then. No points! AFAIK.

Wow. Interesting.  Never heard of that.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:52 AM »
and $400 is insane - that shouldnt be a legal ticket! its like u committed a serious crime.
I got a larger ticket then that for not having my student card on me when I used a student fare on the metro In Toronto

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:05 AM »
Wow. Interesting.  Never heard of that.

I didn't either. And I still don't know if this is actually true or not.
(forgot to mention before that this happened with a out of state license. NY license driving in OH)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
(forgot to mention before that this happened with a out of state license. NY license driving in OH)

An important little (perhaps dispositive) factoid to leave out, eh? :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 01:24:04 AM »
Dunno about NY, but with my OH license they don't recognize points from any other state.
11 years driving and still no points on my record, b"ah :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »
On the 80 near exit 170 . The town is called newtonfalls.

+1.  I drive that stretch of road 6x/week and I often see a trooper there on nicer days.  You probably got nailed right after one of the two "Valley Parkway" signs (or right before the Valley Parkway bridge, depending on which direction you're going)...either way he's in the median waiting for you.

FWIW, Another favorite spot for troopers on I-80 is 80 Eastbound, about 2 miles from the US-250 exit near Sandusky.

He advised me to just pay the ticket as soon as it get into the system. That way you somehow don't get points on your license. (I have know idea if this is actually true or not. I just know it worked out for me). I have checked my licence a couple of times since then. No points! AFAIK.

Per your DMV's FAQ, you should not get points on your license for the out-of-state offense you described.  http://www.dmv.ny.gov/tickets.htm

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »
I didn't either. And I still don't know if this is actually true or not.

Did your insurance rates go up? Didn't you say that you've checked your license since then?
If so, why aren't you sure?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »
Did your insurance rates go up? Didn't you say that you've checked your license since then?
If so, why aren't you sure?

See the second part of his post :)

An important little (perhaps dispositive) factoid to leave out, eh? :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
yeah, sorry about that. It's getting late (or early  :) )

Would like to comment about the OH cop that pulled me over though. He was quite a 'mentch'. I asked him if he could turn of his bright lights so that my baby wouldn't wake up and he immediately did. I'm so used to NY cops whom you can't even greet...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:38:45 AM by boruch »

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:14 AM »
Anyone have a good traffic lawyer in Goshen NY for a ticket i got on the NY-17?

Offline tripper

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
Dunno about NY, but with my OH license they don't recognize points from any other state.
11 years driving and still no points on my record, b"ah :)
My OH License got points from a ticket I got in Canada

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:35 PM »
My OH License got points from a ticket I got in Canada
Sounds strange, are you positive?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tripper

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »
Sounds strange, are you positive?
You are right. Those were old points from a different ticket. My Canada ticket did not give me points on my OH License.

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
I got 4 tickets in NJ speeding, reckless driving, dangerous tun and another one totaling $570. I have a CT license, so A does anyone know if the points transfer? B does anyone have a good attorney, since I spoke to 1 that would give me a bargain instead of $1200 she would charge me $750 because she went to school with my brother-in-law, ridiculous.