Author Topic: Joining Kosherica cruise minyan (and what happened in Antarctica)  (Read 13707 times)

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Joining Kosherica cruise minyan
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
was going to respond exactly what Dan said
IMO its completely wrong. if its pure by accident that u had. one idea there was Kosherica on board then maybe... but I certainly would expect Kosherica to stick to their policy and only allow customers or you would have many people claiming they had no idea... Pesach programs deal with this all the time and its straight up stealing
well once your just davening there you get to use the shuls facilities, take a coffee, make a lchaim, take some extra milk for the baby etc.

I know people who run some of these programs. Some of them are happy to let people join as long as they ask, and others are just outright shocked again every year by the amount of extra milk and coffee they need to bring in for the "guests".

People really don't realize what effort and cost is involved. If you do need to daven there, ask and respect the answer.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
if its pure by accident that u had no idea there was Kosherica on board then maybe...

Most such people book these cruise in particular because they know Kosherica is on that cruise, no one is showing up by surprise

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
Most such people book these cruise in particular because they know Kosherica is on that cruise, no one is showing up by surprise
?

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
How can one know that Kosherica is on a particular cruise? Why dont they keep that info private?

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »
?

You get my point

How can one know that Kosherica is on a particular cruise? Why dont they keep that info private?

They have a website - all cruises are listed https://www.kosherica.com/koshercruises/index.asp

I know someone that booked a cruise to piggyback on Kosherica, but when they arrived at the port they found out they booked the wrong one...

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
You get my point

They have a website - all cruises are listed https://www.kosherica.com/koshercruises/index.asp

I know someone that booked a cruise to piggyback on Kosherica, but when they arrived at the port they found out they booked the wrong one...
so why dont they keep that info private?

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
so why dont they keep that info private?

huh? they have a website where they advertise when they have cruises so people can book etc

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »
huh? they have a website where they advertise when they have cruises so people can book etc
Again I am no cruise expert but I'm guessing that there can be a way to advertise a cruise and not give out the exact ship that they are on. But I could be wrong

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Again I am no cruise expert but I'm guessing that there can be a way to advertise a cruise and not give out the exact ship that they are on. But I could be wrong

The write the date and which cruise line it will be operated by. What more info do you possibly need?

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 04:01:29 PM »
The write the date and which cruise line it will be operated by. What more info do you possibly need?
maybe dont give out the cruise line Just the date and location its leaving from...
Again I am clueless I always thought they had their own ships.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
maybe dont give out the cruise line Just the date and location its leaving from...
Again I am clueless I always thought they had their own ships.

People have a strong preference for which cruise operator it will be on. RCCL is a lot better than NCL.

Kosherica does not operate any ships :) - they must be the minority on the ship to avoid Shabbos issues.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
was going to respond exactly what Dan said
IMO its completely wrong. if its pure by accident that u had no idea there was Kosherica on board then maybe... but I certainly would expect Kosherica to stick to their policy and only allow customers or you would have many people claiming they had no idea... Pesach programs deal with this all the time and its straight up stealing
Partaking from their coffee, milk etc, as someone here mentioned, that would be "straight up stealing".
But to say that simply davening in their minyan is "straight up stealing" is stretching it...
Many reasons were cited above.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
I think it reflects poorly on someone who would put himself in that situation.

I find this discussion interesting.
If someone is planning to spend his next holiday vacation going on a cruise, and during his research he happens to see
that during some of his potential vacation dates there is incidentally a Kosher cruise taking place.
Would he be so bad to think "hey why not join that cruise, since there will be so many Yidden on there,
I know there's a high chance I can also daven with a minyan"?
Now, this is someone who would never be able to afford a "Kosher cruise", and wasn't originally even thinking
there'd be a minyan on the cruise he happens to be on.
Why would it be so bad for him to tag along?

I don't think this is comparable to a luxurious cruise like Antarctica where people are spending a fortune regardless,
and as mentioned, the logistics are tough etc.

I'd have very mixed feelings.

There are literally thousands of hours of logistical work that went into organizing our small kosher cruise. It would seem to be unfair if someone came along and took advantage of a minyan without helping to defray the cost of making that minyan on a boat. A minyan is a small part of the cost of a kosher program, but it's part of the package and getting a torah onboard and obtaining space onboard is no small feat.

I'm completely cruise-ignorant, but do you think all that applies on regular (i.e. non-Actarctica) cruise?
Do you mean to say that on typical (not very atypical/special considerations like Antarctica) cruises they spend many hours and much money
solely on making the minyan?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
Now, this is someone who would never be able to afford a "Kosher cruise", and wasn't originally even thinking
there'd be a minyan on the cruise he happens to be on.
Why would it be so bad for him to tag along?
The question is not about this guy, it's the guy who might otherwise go with kosherica or is on the fence but figures "I'll have a minyan anyways so why should I go with them."
Are there people like this? I have no idea. Kosherica seems to think there is.

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 07:07:48 AM »
The question is not about this guy, it's the guy who might otherwise go with kosherica or is on the fence but figures "I'll have a minyan anyways so why should I go with them."
Are there people like this? I have no idea. Kosherica seems to think there is.

Personally, what would make me go on a kosherica cruise is simple the food. Everything else is an added bonus.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
The response should be "Sure you're more then welcome it cost $---.00 how should we bill you?"

Offline brooklyndan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
Wow! I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening by starting this post. So many different perspectives.
When I originally asked the question, I wasn't asking whether I can join the minyan (or sneak in, if that's your preference), I was asking, would they be ok with it (meaning allow it). I personally wouldn't feel comfortable or focused on talking to G-d, if the organizers of the minyan weren't ok with my presence there. Of course, if I was #10, that may be different, but not a likely scenario.
I wonder if Dan's perspective changed on this issue since organizing the Antarctica cruise.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
Re: Live Antarctica Trip Report
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
Quote from: farmbochur link=topic=99236.msg2033046#msg2033046 date=1545417506

[url
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=96861.15[/url]

After reading the above thread for the first time I have to say that IMHO, Dan's comments on it were very "unlubavitcher" if there is such a word. It made me feel that in the end it was all about the $$ (I would equate hours spent on planning to dollars). Isn't lubavitcher's mission to encourage random jews to pray? They stand on the street before shabbos or a holiday asking if people are jewish and asking them to make a brocha etc. Why would it be any different for one to come to a minyan and pray? It made me feel a little bit ashamed of my thoughts on Dan prior to reading this thread and the pedestal i had put him on.
I apologize for my unwieldy thought processes being "all over the place". I was truly shaken by reading the people's posts in this thread.
So anyone on Dan's trip could not have paid and taken advantage of the fact that he's Chabad to get a free minyan and kosher food?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Re: Live Antarctica Trip Report
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=96861.15

After reading the above thread for the first time I have to say that IMHO, Dan's comments on it were very "unlubavitcher" if there is such a word. It made me feel that in the end it was all about the $$ (I would equate hours spent on planning to dollars). Isn't lubavitcher's mission to encourage random jews to pray? They stand on the street before shabbos or a holiday asking if people are jewish and asking them to make a brocha etc. Why would it be any different for one to come to a minyan and pray? It made me feel a little bit ashamed of my thoughts on Dan prior to reading this thread and the pedestal i had put him on.
I apologize for my unwieldy thought processes being "all over the place". I was truly shaken by reading the people's posts in this thread.
Not sure what you misunderstood here.
There were other Jews on our cruise and we invited them to Shabbos meals, kosher food, etc.

The problem would be if there were Jews who specifically booked passage on the cruise while paying 5 figures just to take advantage of their services without paying the small premium for those services.

That didn't happen, but it could have been quite awkward. In the end we had an amazing array of Jews from all walks of life and it was truly special.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Re: Live Antarctica Trip Report
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »
Not sure what you misunderstood here.
There were other Jews on our cruise and we invited them to Shabbos meals, kosher food, etc.

The problem would be if there were Jews who specifically booked passage on the cruise while paying 5 figures just to take advantage of their services without paying the small premium for those services.

That didn't happen, but it could have been quite awkward. In the end we had an amazing array of Jews from all walks of life and it was truly special.
Nice! Can't wait for the full TR!
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)