Author Topic: Blackberry, iPhone or droid?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Simcha89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Blackberry, iPhone or droid?
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Which do you have and why?

I have had my blackberry for four years and think it's about time to switch to a iphone

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Blackberry, iPhone or droid?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Bb is great for messaging and email, and data in roaming.

Bb I'm not happy about the call, and surf part (I have another phone for that ), also battery life isn't to write home about.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
I think we already have a thread about this. Anyway iPhone is a cult BB is only good for email and Android is for geeks, personally I like Android.

Offline dd321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
I hate touch typing. Buttons is a must 4 me

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:03:10 AM »
I hate touch typing. Buttons is a must 4 me
that knocks out iPhone

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »
I've had an Evo (Android) for over a year now and I love it.  I don't have a problem with touch keyboards, but if you really hate them, they even have phones with physical keyboards and Android OS.  There are far more apps for Android and IOS than BB, so if you want to keep up with things, I'd advise Android.

Personally, I like the fact that Android is customizable, ROOTable (kinda like jailbraking on IOS), and the best part for me...it backs up everything to Google so you never have to worry about loosing your contacts or calendar events.

IOS is also good, especially with the news that Sprint is most likely getting the iPhone in October.  It's a little bit more restrictive in what you can do, but the app store is still a bit bigger than the Android Market.

If you don't care about small detail features, a removable battery, a microSD slot, and Google backup, go with the iPhone.

If you don't like a more complicated UI (user interface), don't like Google, or just love Apple and their products, go with the iPhone.

Otherwise, go with Android.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:20:55 AM »
I heard that there is an android app that makes touch typing easier/better. Anyone know what this is?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:35:54 AM »
I forgot to mention it.  It's called Swype, and comes standard with Android 2.3 and higher.  Basically, all you do is start sliding your finger from letter to letter in the word you want to make and lift when you're done.  It's pretty good at getting the words and gets better if you're patient and help it learn.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:26 AM »
I forgot to mention it.  It's called Swype, and comes standard with Android 2.3 and higher.  Basically, all you do is start sliding your finger from letter to letter in the word you want to make and lift when you're done.  It's pretty good at getting the words and gets better if you're patient and help it learn.

Thanks!

It's so much harder to copy and paste on my droid tablet. In fact I'm still not really sure how that works. Any tips on that?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:00:34 AM »
I haven't used any Android tablets, but the way to copy and paste on a cellphone is to press n hold in the text field for about 2 seconds and then release. You'll be given an option normally to select text if there's any already typed. You can and then select the text and either copy or cut it. Then when you go to another text field, press and hold again and then you will be given an option to paste.  On older android operating systems, the option to cut, copy and paste are all on the same menu. On Android 2.3, there are 2 menus: the first to select text and the second to copy or cut. I hope that answers your question.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:31 AM »
I haven't used any Android tablets, but the way to copy and paste on a cellphone is to press n hold in the text field for about 2 seconds and then release. You'll be given an option normally to select text if there's any already typed. You can and then select the text and either copy or cut it. Then when you go to another text field, press and hold again and then you will be given an option to paste.  On older android operating systems, the option to cut, copy and paste are all on the same menu. On Android 2.3, there are 2 menus: the first to select text and the second to copy or cut. I hope that answers your question.
Yup, thanks!

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »
You might want to check out some of the new windows phones too. I have an android myself but I've played with the windows phone a few times now and its really made very well. The texting is awesome too!  It's worth taking a look.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »

In sprint versions of android phones i dont think swype is standard (however i dont think i went a day running stock)... i personally use trace keyboard

if you are married to a physical keyboard, like me, then the evo shift is the perfect phone -only setback is no front facing cam

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
In sprint versions of android phones i dont think swype is standard (however i dont think i went a day running stock)... i personally use trace keyboard

if you are married to a physical keyboard, like me, then the evo shift is the perfect phone -only setback is no front facing cam

I can't vouch for all Sprint phones, but I know that when I updated my Evo with an OTA update (I don't remember if it was to Froyo or Honycomb, or one in between) I got Swype without having to install anything.  It could be its only an Evo, not Evo Shift thing.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

The optimus has it.