Author Topic: + for United, ELAL should learn how to solve problems  (Read 1847 times)

Offline li-travel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
+ for United, ELAL should learn how to solve problems
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:43 AM »
I was on Flight 91 from Tel Aviv to Newark this morning,  when boarding a Chasidishe yingerman who was seated between 2 woman, asked the guy across the aisle who was sitting between 2 men if he minds to switch, problem solved without any noise or issues.
After take of a flight attendant came up to the person who agreed to switch and said: Thanks for being an Elite member (1k) are you Mr. ... Thank you for helping us and agreeing to switch,  we would like to extend are gratitude by offering you either $250 or 12,000 miles to your account, which one would you prefer?  I later asked the flight attendant what it was all about, she said that we have a program to compensate passengers who help us during the flight.
I would suggest to ELAL instead of threatening religious passengers who dont want to sit next to woman by removing them from the flight , just try to be creative and find a way that passengers shouldn't mind switching when needed.

It might add a bit to their overall operational costs, but i believe it will still be cheaper than the ongoing PR nightmare, and loss of religious passengers who feel betrayed by the airline not respecting their beliefs.

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: + for United, ELAL should learn how to solve problems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:14:49 AM »
I don't know if this is the case or not, but they do things for elite members that they dont do for others.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
I was on Flight 91 from Tel Aviv to Newark this morning,  when boarding a Chasidishe yingerman who was seated between 2 woman, asked the guy across the aisle who was sitting between 2 men if he minds to switch, problem solved without any noise or issues.
After take of a flight attendant came up to the person who agreed to switch and said: Thanks for being an Elite member (1k) are you Mr. ... Thank you for helping us and agreeing to switch,  we would like to extend are gratitude by offering you either $250 or 12,000 miles to your account, which one would you prefer?  I later asked the flight attendant what it was all about, she said that we have a program to compensate passengers who help us during the flight.
I would suggest to ELAL instead of threatening religious passengers who dont want to sit next to woman by removing them from the flight , just try to be creative and find a way that passengers shouldn't mind switching when needed.

It might add a bit to their overall operational costs, but i believe it will still be cheaper than the ongoing PR nightmare, and loss of religious passengers who feel betrayed by the airline not respecting their beliefs.

It's smart that United does this, but the main point is that there was a switch without any drama. The problem Elal has is that when people don't want to switch they make a big scene causing problems.  Offering to pay people to switch seats is a good way to avoid the drama, it would be better to prevent drama in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with asking someone to switch, there is a problem with insisting someone switch with you when they have said no or when they plane is about to take off.

ETA:
If people that thought they would 'need' to switch brought cash with them and offered to buy another person's seat I bet there would be a lot less issues

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »

1K in a middle seat?

Nice story, I once had someone switch for me on a JetBlue flight (so my child can sit next to me) I remember the FA giving that person a chocolate or something

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »
1K in a middle seat?

Nice story, I once had someone switch for me on a JetBlue flight (so my child can sit next to me) I remember the FA giving that person a chocolate or something
lol was thinking the same thing!

ETA:
If people that thought they would 'need' to switch brought cash with them and offered to buy another person's seat I bet there would be a lot less issues
agreed
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »

lol was thinking the same thing!

+1k
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline ruv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
So can I make a deal with someone to ‘switch’ for him, and we split the money? ;)