Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604857 times)

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
Hi
I like to answer in public, as the next guy will also profit from the answers. I dont want to answer the same question to every guy via PM again and again. Unless its a secret just post it here. I will answer asap

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
wow this is an expensive train.

try to get invited by chuchem.

ask for the local specialty, thomy.

http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n147-sE.html

Here is the pricelist for the ride up the mountain. From Zuerich airport you take a train to Lucerne and then a bus to the Station (thats in Kriens)

www.sbb.ch is the website of the swiss railways

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »
Hi
I like to answer in public, as the next guy will also profit from the answers. I dont want to answer the same question to every guy via PM again and again. Unless its a secret just post it here. I will answer asap

+1

Why PM when the rest of the DDF community will benefit as well.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2011, 11:43:45 AM »
Here's the webcam they showed us: http://www.pilatus.ch/webcam/default-n102-sE.html
It was completely clouded over when we were there last May.  You can see the lakes that we took a boat in (I'm assuming those are them?) from the webcam.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aben

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »

http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n147-sE.html

Here is the pricelist for the ride up the mountain. From Zuerich airport you take a train to Lucerne and then a bus to the Station (thats in Kriens)

www.sbb.ch is the website of the swiss railways
I see different types of fairs Regular, Golden, Silver whats the difference. Are they round trips? and which one would be best?

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
I see different types of fairs Regular, Golden, Silver whats the difference. Are they round trips? and which one would be best?
You only have to read and make some effort yourself!! I know asking is easier
One has a boatride incl., one has some type of trainride incl. before....

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
You only have to read and make some effort yourself!! I know asking is easier
One has a boatride incl., one has some type of trainride incl. before....
I did see that each comes with something else, but I was wondering as to which one would be my best option especially with 2 kids.
What would be the estimate cost from leaving the airport to Luzern with and w/o Pilotus?
Which station do I need from the airport?
Dan mentioned that u hooked him up with $35 day passes how can I get that?

Thanks

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
U cant get them and I cant get them for everyone, to much work. Sorry
Cost for traintickets to Lucerne is www.sbb.ch Zuerich airport-Lucerne main sation
With the timeframe you have only take the train to Lucerne and go to pilatus. If you have time you can still do a boatride.
I cant give you a best option with kids, as it depends how they are that day.

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2011, 02:03:43 AM »
U cant get them and I cant get them for everyone, to much work. Sorry
Cost for traintickets to Lucerne is www.sbb.ch Zuerich airport-Lucerne main sation
With the timeframe you have only take the train to Lucerne and go to pilatus. If you have time you can still do a boatride.
I cant give you a best option with kids, as it depends how they are that day.

I checked the website just confirming does it make sense that from the airport to lucerne a round trip p/p is 54 CHF, I am not able to see my dates yet, I think it is to far in advance but I checked a random date and it came out to be 54 CHF would that be or around the price in May?
I was told that it would be around $100 is that incl. to Pilotus?
Are the fairs the same by the train station as on their website? Is it necessary to book in advance?

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »
Train 54 plus the trip up to Pilatus, comes to a little more then 100 Dollars

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2011, 07:54:08 AM »
No need to book in advance

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
Thanks for all of your help Chuchem It is really appreciated.

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
Switzerland Trip Notes:

After a rejuvenating Shabbos experience in Brunoy, we ordered a taxi to take us to the Gare de L'Est station for our 6:30AM train to Lucerne. As a side note, I really commend the publishers of Dvar Malchus for facilitating the means for learning during travel. I was able to stay on track with Chitas and Rambam shiurim(most days) thanks to Dvar Malchus. I was a bit concerned about making the train thinking that customs would tarry us. Boruch Hashem there wasn't any customs and we were able to board the train soon after arriving to the station. A number of years ago when I learned in Brunoy, I took advantage of a mid-winter break to visit London. The customs and security was very time consuming for the Paris-London segment, so I thought the same would be here.

We made sure to pack enough long-lasting milk cartons(that don't require refrigeration prior to opening) for our 5-day stay in Switzerland. A number of yogurts as well were brought along. We bought our rail tickets through raileurope.com which had discounts for youth(until 26). To promote a comfortable trip for ourselves and our 2 kids we got 1st class(not so much more expensive than 2nd). The cabin was significantly roomier and emptier. Our itinerary had an 8-minute connection in Basel. When I was planning the trip, this segment worried me the most because I wasn't able to figure out the platform number for our connecting train until we got off at Basel. BH, we were able to make it 2-3 minutes before departure.

Unfortunately, due to the time pressure we got on a packed 2nd class cabin. It took several trips to transport our belongings all the way to 1st class. Being that this train was inter-Swiss(and opposed to inter-Europe) there wasn't a considerable distinction between 1st and 2nd class. However, I wanted my money's worth.

After finally arriving in Lucerne, I asked my wife to wait as I took the escalator downstairs to the underground shopping center to purchase a SIM card. Surprisingly enough, Swiss law requires every SIM card registree to provide a passport. After obtaining my SIM card we headed on to the near bus station to take us to our hotel. Unfortunately, Bank of America doesn't have a Swiss ATM partner(unlike most of Europe, including our previously toured France-BNP Paribas). We used credit cards most of the time. Every bus station has a kiosk in which tickets can be purchased. If only Amex Platinum could have waived the foreign transaction fee earlier.........

Our hotel(Hotel Balm in Meggen) was a 12 minute(exactly; the Swiss are very precise and efficient) ride from the city center(Bahnhof). Our stop(Balm) was right at the hotel; a Mechaye! Our check-in process was quite smooth and we were soon to be ushered into our room. When I entered into the room I was jaw-dropped speechless. Hands down the finest 3-star hotel I've ever encountered. Besides for all the neat Swiss furnishing details, we were able to get a room that easily fitted two cribs. If half the price was for the view, it would have been so worth it! From our full sized window we would able to see the lake and mountains(with their beautiful haze effect on the bottom). Anyways, I could go on for another page describing the room. I'll exercise restrain though. Just a small detail; the hotel had free WIFI through the building.

Throughout our stay in Lucerne the sky was clear. We took a short 2-hour steam-boat cruise on the lake and were spellbound by the views. Picturesque Switzerland has certainly imbued within us a profound appreciation for Hashem's constant recreation of His beautiful world. Lake Lucerne is like no other lake I've seen. During the cruise a white bird started to follow us at the same pace as the boat. We were facing it and were able to take pictures. I'll post some IYH. I must state that a cruise on lake Lucerne is a must for anyone visiting this charming city.

The next day we visited the Swiss Museum of Transport. IMHO it far surpasses any science/technology museum in the states(maybe not the Smithsonian). The place is packed with exceedingly interesting exhibitions which we found to be very interactive as well. It covers all modes of transport; rail, automobile, air, space, etc. I volunteered to seat myself in a jet simulator which was able to take me upside down. Very recommended for the kids(the museum, not the simulator). After the museum we took a walk next to the river to enjoy the scenery.

On a Wednesday morning we took leave of Lucerne and embarked on a train to Zurich. The Marriott hotel was a 10 minute walk from the main train station. Priceline accepted our bid of $115 dollars for a $400-500 room. Frankly, I wasn't too much impressed with the room as much as I was with the lobby and hallways. I was appalled at the mini-bar pricing. A bottle of water was 8 swiss francs! More shocking was the laundry service. To wash 1 shirt and press it equaled 18.50 francs! Aside from necessary food items and transport, we didn't purchase any souvenirs due to the over-inflated cost of almost anything in Switzerland. Not even a Swiss made watch. We only 'window' shopped.

After begging my wife for permission to open up a Swiss bank account, she finally caved in. I walked into a Credit Suisse bank hoping to deposit $20 and then brag to all my friends about my Swiss bank account. My hopes were shattered when the lady behind the counter nonchalantly notified us of the 500k minimum deposit requirement. Maybe next time.

Friday we had an early morning flight to Venice. We woke up early and took the direct train to the airport. Check in was quick with Swiss-Air and security a breeze with the European leniences(shoes stay on etc.).

P.S. Unlike France, Switzerland provided elevators in all of its public transport. For a family travelling with young infants in a stroller, this was prudent.

Stay tuned for the Italy trip notes!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:11 AM »
In the Migros shop (you have them everywhere besides small villages, you can buy sim cards, while getting around adding your name;

If you would have succeeded in opening a bank account, there would be heavy fees attached + for not sending your mail to the usa, ie keeping them for you, there is an additional charge.

Very nice and open report, thanks.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I was amazed that the luggage carts can be pushed up and down escalators it was such a breeze

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

The view from our Lucerne hotel room

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
These are not postcards. We actually took these wonderful pictures of Lake Lucerne. What a wonderful world Hashem creates!

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
Swiss Transport Museum

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Awesome pics! I also loved Lucerne!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
These are not postcards. We actually took these wonderful pictures of Lake Lucerne. What a wonderful world Hashem creates!

Beautiful!

Amazing that you managed to take such good pics with an SD1000 point-and-shoot...

100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael