Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604267 times)

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #1140 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
Yes it is. Do you have Google?
Not in the REAL alps

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Yes, your link points to the same source as what I posted: http://www.wwwdesigner.ch/downloads/koscherliste_aktuell.pdf

Here's the Mehadrin Kosher list with latest updates, straight from the source. http://www.irgz.ch/koscherliste/index.html

Did you ever read the WIKI?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »
Did you ever read the WIKI?

True, but link is broken. Fixing it to main page, so won't break with every update to the list and the person clicking the link won't get an outdated list. Don't want someone to eat treif, even though it's mostly the same.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:22:42 PM by yelped »

Offline ABC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 07, 2016, 05:40:06 AM »
sure how far is it from Zurich airport and how close to the Ski resorts and how is the food there?

I was there last year for a week and I sent 2 couples there this week and everyone enjoyed.

3 hour train ride, very relaxing smooth ride you don't feel that the train is moving.
3 minutes by foot to the ski resorts.
Food is EXCELLENT there.

Feel free to pm me for any could email hotelmk@gmail.com for reservations.
They are much cheaper then levin 270 CHF instead of 400 CHF

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
So Coming To zurich for two days better to go to Levin Or the other where is the skiing nicer?

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 07, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
So Coming To zurich for two days better to go to Levin Or the other where is the skiing nicer?
If you want a Kosher hotel etc. Than Crans Montana is nicer and much higher than Arosa

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 07, 2016, 04:32:44 PM »
What's the difference between Crans Montana and Arosa?

I heard that Arosa is nicer but wanna confirm with you guys...

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 07, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »

Arosa is closer to ZRH. But IMO Crans Montana (and the surrounding area) is much nicer.

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
« Reply #1148 on: January 07, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Arosa is closer to ZRH. But IMO Crans Montana (and the surrounding area) is much nicer.

but then he wont experience Levin  ::) ::) ::)

Offline ABC

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 07, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »

I heard from someone that was by both, he says crans the hotel is nicer,better service and cheaper.
Not that it's a 5 star hotel but by comparing those 2.

The views I am not sure about, crans is beautiful but I didn't try out Arosa.

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:43 PM »
is crans hashgach good? and how is the skiing there compared to arosa?

Offline ABC

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »
is crans hashgach good? and how is the skiing there compared to arosa?

The hashgacha couldn't be better, he has the belzer rav from Antwerp.
You won't be disappointed there from the ski.

Offline an613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 09, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
1&2. Yes, it is still worth it for a visit to Lucerne, even if it's just for an afternoon visit.

3. Driving in Switzerland is easy, and their are signs everywhere. However, if
you are from outside Europe, do learn the driving regulations of Switzerland.
The fines for speeding, parking, disobeying traffic laws can cost you a small fortune.

Most of the available parking in the cities are Blue Zones as well as White Zones:
    Blue Zones: Parking from Monday till Saturday from 8 am until 6 pm is free of charge for an hour with the blue parking disc (including EU parking disc). Whereby the arrival time is to be inserted to the next half hour. Also parking between 12pm and 1:30pm is free in blue zone.
    White zones: These are chargeable, numbered, and located near a parking meter.

-- RIGHT OF WAY - Trams always have priority. Buses have priority when leaving a bus stop.

-- If you cross the solid white line, (e.g. making a u-turn) the fine would be over 500 CHF.

Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like driving may be more of a hassle than its worth so thinking about taking the train, especially if I'm able to use the Fast Baggage thing. From what I'm reading online though, it sounds like you need to have your luggage checked in before 9AM and we don't land in ZRH until 11AM. Is this (https://www2.raileurope.com/activities/fast-baggage/index.html) the right thing or is that something else? (Its a swiss-air flight operated by ElAl)

Depends what your final plan is. If you are going to St Morits enjoy the alps in that area. Go to Mount Corvatsch or Muottas Muragl. I don't see any reason in going to Pilatus (unless the weather is better in Lucern than in St Morits)

Wed - Land at 11AM in ZRH. Train to Lucerne for the afternoon. Train to St Moritz in late afternoon/early evening
Thurs/Fri - Skiing in St Moritz
Shabbas - St Moritz
Sat Night - return to Zurich
Sun morning - tour around zurich (Bahnoffstrasse, restaraunts)

Does this itin sound good? any recommendation for hotel in St Moritz?

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 10, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »
Not in the REAL alps

why is crans not considered the real alps?

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 10, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
why is crans not considered the real alps?
My bad I quoted the wrote post

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: January 10, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like driving may be more of a hassle than its worth so thinking about taking the train, especially if I'm able to use the Fast Baggage thing. From what I'm reading online though, it sounds like you need to have your luggage checked in before 9AM and we don't land in ZRH until 11AM. Is this (https://www2.raileurope.com/activities/fast-baggage/index.html) the right thing or is that something else? (Its a swiss-air flight operated by ElAl)

Wed - Land at 11AM in ZRH. Train to Lucerne for the afternoon. Train to St Moritz in late afternoon/early evening
Thurs/Fri - Skiing in St Moritz
Shabbas - St Moritz
Sat Night - return to Zurich
Sun morning - tour around zurich (Bahnoffstrasse, restaraunts)

Does this itin sound good? any recommendation for hotel in St Moritz?
Which train pass would you use? If you are ready to travel a lot for a nice place than why not visit Jungfrau? You are traveling through half of Switzerland and going to a simple mountain that people do whem having a stopover in ZRH. You can choose a much nicer mountain than Pilatus. If Jungfrau (Wengen) is out of your way (check on SBB.ch/en for train routing) you can either sleep over in Wengen and travel the next day to St Moritz (I would likely do that) or choose a different way point like Zermatt etc

Offline an613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 10, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
Which train pass would you use? If you are ready to travel a lot for a nice place than why not visit Jungfrau? You are traveling through half of Switzerland and going to a simple mountain that people do whem having a stopover in ZRH. You can choose a much nicer mountain than Pilatus. If Jungfrau (Wengen) is out of your way (check on SBB.ch/en for train routing) you can either sleep over in Wengen and travel the next day to St Moritz (I would likely do that) or choose a different way point like Zermatt etc

Not sure which pass yet, but I think we're only going to have 2 days of travelling on train so from the wiki it seems like the third option makes the most sense.

It looks like both Zermatt and Wengen are in a different direction and theres no direct trains to St Moritz. Don't mind traveling if its worth it but since I only have 4.5 days and  I would like to ski for 2 of them, might be a stretch to get in both... Is there good skiing/views in the zermatt area? Is that worth it over St Moritz?

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 10, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
My bad I quoted the wrote post

so you would go to crans over arosa?

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »
Not sure which pass yet, but I think we're only going to have 2 days of travelling on train so from the wiki it seems like the third option makes the most sense.

It looks like both Zermatt and Wengen are in a different direction and theres no direct trains to St Moritz. Don't mind traveling if its worth it but since I only have 4.5 days and  I would like to ski for 2 of them, might be a stretch to get in both... Is there good skiing/views in the zermatt area? Is that worth it over St Moritz?
Do you need a Kosher hotel? If not than Saas Fee and Montana (there is a Kosher hotel in Crans) have the best views (and highest altitudes) when skiing

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 10, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »
so you would go to crans over arosa?
Yes.