Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604337 times)

Offline RockaHocka

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #1540 on: May 25, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
I have taken the train and would highly recommend this, it is a pretty nice ride, plane will take you a bit less then 6 hours considering to / from the airport.
I will be landing in ZRH at 10am on Thursday morning and would like to spend shabbos in Venice. With a 1pm flight, I would land in VCE at 2 pm... with a train I would not arrive before 7pm.

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 25, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »
I will be landing in ZRH at 10am on Thursday morning and would like to spend shabbos in Venice. With a 1pm flight, I would land in VCE at 2 pm... with a train I would not arrive before 7pm.

Friday go touring, when are you leaving VCE?.

You don't need more then 2 full days in VCE.

Offline RockaHocka

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 25, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
Friday go touring, when are you leaving VCE?.

You don't need more then 2 full days in VCE.
Flying would mean arriving in VCE at 2pm on Thursday and flying back to Zurich Sunday morning. If I take a train and first get in Thursday night, I'd leave Venice Sunday evening. (Flight back to JFK is Thursday morning from ZRH)

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 29, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
i was told that there is some sort of day pass (maybe taggacardt or something) that allows unlimted travel on the trains or something.
anyone knows of anything of the sort?

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 29, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
i was told that there is some sort of day pass (maybe taggacardt or something) that allows unlimted travel on the trains or something.
anyone knows of anything of the sort?

Yes, it's called Tageskarte. There is two types, the regular one: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/1-day-travelpass-for-the-half-fare-travelcard.html

Plus there is a Gemeinde Tageskarte, but you have to be a registered resident to buy them, has to be booked well in advanced, and are specific to a date. Costs about 48CHF and you don't need a half-card (halbtax). There are no restrictions on who may use them, but again to buy them you have to be a local resident. http://www.tageskarte-gemeinde.ch/en-us/

Tageskarte means day ticket in German; Gemeinde means Commune / Municipality

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 29, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Yes, it's called Tageskarte. There is two types, the regular one: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/1-day-travelpass-for-the-half-fare-travelcard.html

Plus there is a Gemeinde Tageskarte, but you have to be a registered resident to buy them, has to be booked well in advanced, and are specific to a date. Costs about 48CHF and you don't need a half-card (halbtax). There are no restrictions on who may use them, but again to buy them you have to be a local resident. http://www.tageskarte-gemeinde.ch/en-us/

Tageskarte means day ticket in German; Gemeinde means Commune / Municipality
Thanks!
So essentially if you only need it for a day the Tageskarte is the way to go? Because the travelpass requires a half card of 185 CHF + the travelpass of 75 CHF effectively totaling 360 CHF.
Correct?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 29, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
Effectively totaling 260CHF -- but that doesn't make sense unless you will be putting your half card (halbtax) to good use. And note, once you have the halbtax, all the tickets are half price (with some exceptions), so it might be rather cheaper to buy regular tickets.

Thanks!
So essentially if you only need it for a day the Tageskarte is the way to go? Because the travelpass requires a half card of 185 CHF + the travelpass of 75 CHF effectively totaling 360 CHF.
Correct?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 29, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
Effectively totaling 260CHF -- but that doesn't make sense unless you will be putting your half card (halbtax) to good use. And note, once you have the halbtax, all the tickets are half price (with some exceptions), so it might be rather cheaper to buy regular tickets.
Correct.
I will therefore purchase a Gemeinde Tageskarte

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:07 AM »
Correct.
I will therefore purchase a Gemeinde Tageskarte
Apparently you need to live within the municipality of where the tickets are available in order to have the Tageskarte mailed to you. The host however lives in Zurich and the passes are Boppelson.
Any idea how this can be worked out?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 30, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »
Apparently you need to live within the municipality of where the tickets are available in order to have the Tageskarte mailed to you. The host however lives in Zurich and the passes are Boppelson.
Any idea how this can be worked out?

Each municipality that sells them, set their own rules on the residency requirements to purchase them, but the general rule is that you have to be a local registered resident. Also, some municipalities require that the Swiss resident picks them up personally, presenting their identification, while others will mail them.

Note, the Boppelson municipality website states in the rules and regulations:

Die Tageskarten werden nur an Bopplisser Einwohnerinnen und Einwohner verkauft sowie an
Einwohnerinnen und Einwohner der angrenzenden Gemeinden Otelfingen, Hüttikon, Dänikon,
Dällikon, Buchs, Regensdorf, Regensberg, Schöfflisdorf, Oberweningen, Schleinikon und
Niederweningen.

Meaning that it can only be purchased by a local resident (Bopplisser) or residents
of the bordering municipalities.

Offline mr.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 30, 2017, 04:41:08 AM »
I Take no responsibility but there is someone in Yerushalayim who sells Tagacarte he has them mailed to Zurich and then sent to Israel this is his info 0548475538
ey.tambur@gmail.com

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 30, 2017, 05:02:13 AM »
I Take no responsibility but there is someone in Yerushalayim who sells Tagacarte he has them mailed to Zurich and then sent to Israel this is his info 0548475538
ey.tambur@gmail.com

It's prohibited to resell them. Posting this on a public forum is a chillul hashem.

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »
It's prohibited to resell them. Posting this on a public forum is a chillul hashem.
It's sold in public on Ricardo.ch and ebay.ch just search Gemeinde tageskarte however normally this is not for business but rather people who don't have a use for something they bought but it's not a chilul hashem

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 30, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »
It's sold in public on Ricardo.ch and ebay.ch just search Gemeinde tageskarte however normally this is not for business but rather people who don't have a use for something they bought but it's not a chilul hashem

No doubt about that, but if you look at the listings on ricardo, on the pictures of the Tageskarte themselves it's printed in bold, Kein Zwischenhandel. It's prohibited. Just because others are doing it, doesn't give it a heter.

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 30, 2017, 07:44:13 AM »
No doubt about that, but if you look at the listings on ricardo, on the pictures of the Tageskarte themselves it's printed in bold, Kein Zwischenhandel. It's prohibited. Just because others are doing it, doesn't give it a heter.
Are you Swiss?

Offline chaiy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: June 05, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »
Tour Plus, the company that arranged the kosher hotel in Wengen for past 8 years, is relocating to a hotel in Villars for summer 2017.

Anyone have any information on Villars, or has stayed there?
from the description online, its a quiet village with OK views.... the hotel recommends the following neighboring villages/excursions : Gstaad, Glacier 3000, Mont Blanc, Montreux, lake Geneva etc...
I really am attracted to the Jungfrau , Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Area. it seems like it highlight of many travelers that I have spoken to.

we are looking for closest hotel near Wengen area. if we decide to stay in Villars, does it make sense to travel to Wengen at the end of trip for last two days (although my husband really only prefers doing this with minyan) ? its a 3.5 hour ride via train and 2.5 ride via car.
does any one know if there will be minyan in Wengen, Grindenwald area in mid July. (can we arrange one?!)

any suggestions about villars, and possible chance of minyan in Jungfrau area in JULY  would be appreciated!!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:26:30 PM by chaiy »

Offline chayie

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 06, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
Does anyone have information about Alpine sliding in Davos? (not dog sledding). The kind where you sit in a coaster and ride down the mountain - for the summer.
I know that one exists, but can't find the info online.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: June 06, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
Does anyone have information about Alpine sliding in Davos? (not dog sledding). The kind where you sit in a coaster and ride down the mountain - for the summer.
Just search "alpine coaster" or "tin toboggan".

Offline rivkao

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
https://m.myswitzerland.com/en-us/tin-toboggans/schatzalp-summer-toboggan-run.html

Offline macbook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 11, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
churvalden