Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604465 times)

Offline Mendel s

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #2040 on: August 12, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »
I'm staying in Davos in the summer anyone know where i can order food?
For groceries there's supposedly lots of kosher things in the spar supermarket during the summer, including meat fish bread dairy Nosh etc..
Does anyone know until when they will have the kosher section?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:46:21 PM by Dan »

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 14, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
Extremely limited beyond the bread (which is absolutely delicious)

I just received a warning from St.Moritz. At the minyan maariv tonight it was brought to the attention that the bread from the Bakery St. Moritz is forbidden. Something has been found.

??? More info please???

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 14, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
Does anyone have the contact info for this belzer takeout?
Thanks
Are you in Davos? There should be a sign posted in the shul off Schiabach.

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: August 14, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
??? More info please???
from what I heard, the mashgiach walked in and he saw they were baking pizza and bread in the same oven at the same time,
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: August 14, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
from what I heard, the mashgiach walked in and he saw they were baking pizza and bread in the same oven at the same time,

interesting in hindsight. We were staying @ the Kempinski (which gets their Bread from Bad) and left Thursday Morning. At breakfast there was no bread from Bad, instead the bread we had was from COOP. The reason given to us by the hotel staff was "something got messed up with the delivery". Now I know why..............

Offline Mendel s

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: August 18, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »
Are you in Davos? There should be a sign posted in the shul off Schiabach.
[/quote

Thank you!
I’m not there yet, this week I’ll be there, does anyone know if there will still be kosher food in the spar supermarket this week? And if the takeout will still be open?

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
I'll have 12 hours in Zurich on the way to Israel. 10:30 am to 10:30 pm. Anyone wanna help with an itinerary? Will be going with a 2 and 4 year old.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2047 on: October 15, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
I'll have 12 hours in Zurich on the way to Israel. 10:30 am to 10:30 pm. Anyone wanna help with an itinerary? Will be going with a 2 and 4 year old.
see wiki

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:08 PM »
see wiki

I'm looking for ideas in Zurich or half hour train outside max.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: October 17, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've read a ton on DDF, google, trip advisor, etc...I think i read the first 20 pages on here and then skipped to page 100; now im up to 127.
I currently have reservations for Shabbos Chanukah (Dec 6-9) with my wife in Brienz in a very nice airbnb; this is around 30 min out of the jungfreu region, overlooks the mountains, and is basically on lake brienzersee.
I personally have been here (Jungfreau and Lucerne) when I was single and was just in awe of how beautiful it was, so I didn't mind going back to see it with her.
Heres my question:
Im considering changing our base because she doens't care where we go and I would love to see more of the country. Is it worth it to go to a place like Saas Fee? Crans Montana?  St Moritz? or even to move inside the Jungfeu (like laturburnen)?
I heard that St Moritz is beautiful but not the most spectacular of the alps.
When it comes to SF and CM, Im a bit concerned just about the distance from Zurich. We land on Thursday at 930am and we leave on sunday at 120pm. Im just concerned there isnt enough difference to where Im currently staying to these places to justify driving 3 hours after a long flight or early sunday morning (vs an hour or so). This is honestly probably the biggest reason why Im not going to Saas Fee; SF is a 4 hour drive, St Moritz is 3 hours, CM is 4 hours, while the jungfreu is at worst, 2 hours.
I want to have the best views, good but not great accommodations (due to budget), and something cool to do on friday (like going up the schilthorn for example).
Does anyone have personal experience they'd like to contribute? Should I consider moving my plans to a new place and just make the drive?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: October 17, 2018, 12:43:15 AM »
Also, if anyone has info about the kosher hotel in Wengen mentioned in the Wiki, thanks

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: October 17, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've read a ton on DDF, google, trip advisor, etc...I think i read the first 20 pages on here and then skipped to page 100; now im up to 127.
I currently have reservations for Shabbos Chanukah (Dec 6-9) with my wife in Brienz in a very nice airbnb; this is around 30 min out of the jungfreu region, overlooks the mountains, and is basically on lake brienzersee.
I personally have been here (Jungfreau and Lucerne) when I was single and was just in awe of how beautiful it was, so I didn't mind going back to see it with her.
Heres my question:
Im considering changing our base because she doens't care where we go and I would love to see more of the country. Is it worth it to go to a place like Saas Fee? Crans Montana?  St Moritz? or even to move inside the Jungfeu (like laturburnen)?
When it comes to SF and CM, Im a bit concerned just about the distance from Zurich. We land on Thursday at 930am and we leave on sunday at 120pm. Im just concerned there isnt enough difference to where Im currently staying to these places to justify driving 3 hours after a long flight or early sunday morning (vs an hour or so). This is honestly probably the biggest reason why Im not going to Saas Fee; SF is a 4 hour drive, St Moritz is 3 hours, CM is 4 hours, while the jungfreu is at worst, 2 hours.
I want to have the best views, good but not great accommodations (due to budget), and something cool to do on friday (like going up the schilthorn for example).
Does anyone have personal experience they'd like to contribute? Should I consider moving my plans to a new place and just make the drive?

Thanks in advance!

as per view don't go to CM I was there its not the nicest views up there .

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #2052 on: October 19, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
Anyone know of a place that can prepare meals in Zurich or Geneva?

Want to go skiing in January and want prepped meals.

Thanks!
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 21, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
Also, if anyone has info about the kosher hotel in Wengen mentioned in the Wiki, thanks
TourPlus used to go there. It is not a year round Kosher hotel

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: October 21, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
Anyone know of a place that can prepare meals in Zurich or Geneva?

Want to go skiing in January and want prepped meals.

Thanks!
There is a caterer in Zurich (Franzsos) he does heimishe food, nothing fancy but delicious. He ships countrywide he can be reached at +41787458909.

Also, keep in mind there will be a Kosher hotel in Davos, Aroza and crans montana who provide fresh food

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: October 21, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi everyone,
Heres my question:

Thanks in advance!
the alps in the South (SM SF CM) are beautiful, but that is if you have time to get there from ZRH or land in GVA.

In your case keep in mind SF will be the furthest, SM closer but still a 3.5 hour drive with possible slippery roads. I would prefer Jungfrau as it is IMHO the nicest of them. That is if I would not care for the higher apartment prices.

Also, Lauterbrunen is at the foot of the Jungfrau, Wengen and Manlichen have far better views.

BTW CM has Minyan and Kosher food

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: October 22, 2018, 06:43:01 AM »
Are credit cards readily accepted in Zurich, and can I rely on using ATMs with my American debit card?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:39 AM »
the alps in the South (SM SF CM) are beautiful, but that is if you have time to get there from ZRH or land in GVA.

In your case keep in mind SF will be the furthest, SM closer but still a 3.5 hour drive with possible slippery roads. I would prefer Jungfrau as it is IMHO the nicest of them. That is if I would not care for the higher apartment prices.

Also, Lauterbrunen is at the foot of the Jungfrau, Wengen and Manlichen have far better views.

BTW CM has Minyan and Kosher food
Thanks so much,
maybe Im mistaken because youre the third person to tell me, but I thought I had emailed CM about a minyan and they said starting Dec 23. I assumed they were also talking about food as well but I could be mistaken about that as well...

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: October 22, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
Are credit cards readily accepted in Zurich, and can I rely on using ATMs with my American debit card?
Yes. Credit cards are accepted all over Switzerland and there are ATMs all over.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: October 22, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »

IME there were some restaurants at top of mountains that were reluctant to take CC.