Tzadik Nistar
@Yehuda - 1 day trip
sam28
Sam28 St Moritz Switzerland kosher Grand Hotel Kempinski
Yehudaa - 18-hour Zurich stopover

Kosher food list 2022

Zurich
HOTELS
-The Park Hyatt is fantastic and a 10 minute walk to shul.
Tram stop: Stockerstrasse

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

Florentin - Located inside he JCC https://florentin.rest/
Tram stop: Bahnhof Enge

Grill Cave

Food truck. Check website for opening hours. Burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs etc.
https://www.thegrillcave.co/

Milk/Parve:

Babi's Bagels (Bederstrasse corner Klopstockstrasse 8002 Zürich) Tram Stop "Waffenplatzstrasse"

Bakery:
Ma'Adan Bakery
Manessestrasse/Schimmelstrasse
Has delicious pastries and also sells sandwiches, salads, and some sushi.

Butcher:
Metzgerei Kol Tuv

Can preorder for pickup.
Can also deliver throughout Switzerland by post.
See website for details.

https://www.koltuv.ch/en

ATTRACTIONS
-Walk around the lake area
-Bahnhofstrasse window shopping
-Take a train to Lucerne and buy the golden ticket, included a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train and tram. Then take bus back to Lucerne
-When you arrive in Lucerne you can go to the tourist office to see a live view from Mount Pilatus (Or you can check online). If it's cloudy skip the cogwheel train and just take a nice boatride and explore the town, ancient bridges, and walk on top of the old city fortress walls.

Options in the Alps

Arosa: Metropol Hotel - quaint little old hotel. Not very fancy - it's like honeymooning in your grandmother's house (HT: Mrs. Moishebatchy). The food is very basic, but delicious. Mikva on premises. If skiing is your thing, the have an agreement with one of the ski places (Härtner) not to charge Metropol customers for ski rentals over Shabbos.

Need a meal on shabbes, please PM me (Chuchem). I live 15 minute walk from the hyatt, close to chabad. Zürich has no eiruv!

Major Attractions
“Please edit the wiki to add more attractions”

Central Switzerland
-Lucerne, Pilatus Offers: Cogwheel, Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mini Zip-line and fun area
-Titlis Offers: Gondolas, Snow Tubing, Trutti Bikes, Ice Museum, Row Boating
-Brunni Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Stroll in Lake(!)

Jungfrau Region
-Jungfrau/jungfraujoch Click here for the Kosher hotel in Wengen / 360-degree panorama of Jungfraujoch-Top of Europe
-Grindelwald Offers: Gondolas, mega Zip-line, Trutti Bikes

Eastern Switzerland
-St. Moritz
Davos / Klosters
Arosa Click here for the Kosher Levins hotel

Southern Switzerland
-Zermatt - "Matterhorn"
-Saas-Fee Offers: Gondolas, Alpine Sliding, Mega Zip-line, Trotti Bikes, (Saas-Grund has Monster Trotteres) and on top of "Allalin" you can go Snow Tubing and Skiing even in the summer!
-Crans Montana You can email the Kosher hotel in Crans Montana Hotelmk@gmail.com  or call them at 0032485640498 or 003233011600

HalbTax Pass

A HalbTax pass (or Half Fare card) is a card designated for tourists and not for Swiss residents (officially...). The card gives you half price on all public transportation like buses, trains, trams, boats and also on "most" cable cars (attractions). There are basically 4 kinds.

1) An annual pass, the price is currently 175 francs. If i remember correctly it has a photo ID of the recipient, so double check before sharing it.
Click here for the annual pass

2) A 30 day pass, the price is currently 120 francs, it does not have a photo ID on it.
Click here or here for the 30 day pass

3) - Recommended for frequent traveling Swiss Travel Pass - you prepay a set amount per day and get unlimited for that day (plus "optional" for a fee, for 1 month including the days you chose, it is a HalbTax, even on the prepaid free days, it's only free for all transportation, on cable cars you only get half off). The price per day depends on how many days you prepay, for example if you prepay 8 days, the price per day will be about 53 francs, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 73 francs. If you are 25 y/o or younger, you can get the Youth Pass which is cheaper - If you prepay 8 days  the price per day will be about 40 francs a day, if you prepay 3 days the price per day will be about 62 francs.
Click here (or here) for the prepaid pass

The card comes with a few days “you could chose your dates later”, officially when you want to use a certain day for the free day you should fill in on the pass that date, and when the first conductor comes he punches that day, but technically you can leave the date blank until the conductor comes, that way you have a chance if no conductor asks you for your card (happens quite often) you can save it for the next day :)

4) Swiss Transfer Ticket" This card costs 141 francs and is valid for 2 trips from and to the boarder or airport, for example you are traveling from the airport to Arosa and are not planning to go anywhere else or take any other transportation, with this card you will effectively pay 71 francs per way. This card is only valid for trips to and from the airport or boarder and no (long) stops allowed. Technically if you will travel one more day, the Swiss travel pass mentioned above will probably be cheaper.

Make sure to order your pass a few weeks before leaving, it takes about 1-3 weeks for the pass to arrive. But you can always buy it in the Airport, though you might have to wait in line and also if you want to buy the Youth pass (for 25 y/o or younger) they might ask you for proof...

There is also a family pass if you travel with a large family, I am not familiar with that.

Fast Baggage
There is a service via SBB, They deliver your luggage for you!! For example you are traveling from ZRH to Arosa, you don't want to be busy Shlepping around your luggage, You can check in your luggage in the airport and they (SBB) will deliver it to the train station in Arosa. This service is available "from and to" most train stations in Switzerland. You can ask about the Fast Baggage by any train station or read here or here

You can even buy a tag that you put on the luggage before checking in your luggage in any airport (i.e. JFK) and Rail Europe will take your luggage from the airplane in Switzerland and deliver it either to your hotel or to the train station in the city you're going to.  Read about Flight Luggage Here

PS. When doing research and getting to a website in German, just add /en (after .ch) to translate to English.
And Hey, Don't forget to write a TR ;)

Sample Itinerary for 9 hour stopover on Swiss flight from TLV to U.S. that lands at 810 and takes off around 5
Copied from @cholent:
Here it is: landed in zrh, crazy line for entering country but moved pretty quickly, about half an hour. Picked up sim in the airport. Rented car through Priceline from europecar. Drove to Titlis, stunning scenery along drive. Missed a turnoff because I couldn't get Waze to talk and I was trying to do some stuff online while we were driving, added half an hour to get there, but the stunning scenery made it worthwhile. Got there, parked, you pay at the entrance if you're going to park for more than an hour. Paid, took the cable car. Got off at there halfway station by mistake, gorgeous lake. Went back on and back up to the top. It was somewhat cloudy which was a pity. Suspension bridge was fun but no view because of the clouds. Took the ice flyer to the other peak, then went sledding down the hill, lots of fun. No tubing because there wasn't enough snow. We didn't have enough time for the ice cave because of the extra time driving there and we weren't sure where it was anyway. Made some new Israeli friends and took the cable car down with them. Got back to the airport, returning the car took less than five minutes, getting through the airport took a little longer so we didn't have time for showers at the lounge. It was amazing all around, I would definitely recommend

« Last edited by yyzzrh on October 20, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Author Topic: Switzerland Master Thread  (Read 604198 times)

Offline joetrader

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Switzerland Master Thread
« Reply #2220 on: June 16, 2019, 02:37:23 PM »
Saas Fee will be minayn in mid-july

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 16, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
For questions where there's a minyan phone D.Kernberg in Zürich  044 461 07 53

kernberg@sunrise.ch

Offline JFEADV

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 17, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »
hi
what is cheapest & best way for zrh to arosa & back.
also how does it work with luggage tags

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 17, 2019, 11:00:15 PM »
Supersaver date on train.

Sbb.ch/en

Offline joetrader

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 25, 2019, 05:56:27 PM »
hi
what is cheapest & best way for zrh to arosa & back.
also how does it work with luggage tags

There is someone selling very cheap train tickets as day passes for CHF 55 only,
following is his email address sbbtageskarte@gmail.com

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 25, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »
Looking for a guide to show a couple around Arosa, St Moritz etc in July. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Offline saralea

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 26, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »
i have a few days in august in Switzerland. Should i stay in St moritz or Davos? Is the maloja palace nice? clean? food good? What about the cresta Davos ? or the Derby Davos(sheraton)? Thanks. Ive never been and not sure where to stay- I think those are the 3 I would choose from

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: July 02, 2019, 05:52:54 AM »

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: July 02, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
Interssting article re impact of Haredi tourism to Arosa and others

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/In-the-Alps-locals-and-haredi-Orthodox-tourists-find-ways-to-get-along-594343
I never understood the backlash against the hotel who asked that the Jewish guests obey the rules. I never thought she meant it in a racist manner, just matter of factly.

Offline CRACKERJACK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: July 04, 2019, 08:07:08 AM »
does anybody know if i can use my swiss boarding pass (from anywere to basel wich you use your boarding pass from zrh to zdh via sbb) on ANY TRAIN as it seems to clearly state on the swiss website meaning can i go to interlakken with it

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: July 06, 2019, 11:37:57 PM »
does anybody know if i can use my swiss boarding pass (from anywere to basel wich you use your boarding pass from zrh to zdh via sbb) on ANY TRAIN as it seems to clearly state on the swiss website meaning can i go to interlakken with it
If it's a one way ticket then you must take the fastest route.  I'm sure you are aware that to go from ZRH to Basel you aren't anywhere close to Interlaken.

But a unlimited SBB ticket does include travel to Interlaken, even as high up as till Wengen is included in the SBB pass.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: July 07, 2019, 02:56:57 AM »
I have here the new  brochure (big file) in hebrew for guests travelling to the swiss mountains.
How do I post it online, so that everyone can have a look  ?

Offline usernane

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:28 AM »
looking to rent an aapartment in st moritz area (preferrably st, moritz itself) and to get mountain passes either included in rental or to get a good price on the passes for a family of 5 from around aug 14 to  around aug 26. please PM me.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile

Offline mr.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: July 14, 2019, 03:41:49 AM »
i was told there are late minyanim in Zurich during july and August does any one know more details excactly untill when and what are the times?
( i am between flight and train)

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: July 14, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
Ask kernberg@sunrise.ch   

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 17, 2019, 03:49:41 AM »
New kosher list for bread from 22.07.19 till 30.08.19 in Switzerland.
Wanted to upload the list, seems file is too big. 

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 17, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
anyone know if  Bäckerei-Konditorei Bad in St Moritz is Kosher this summer? Asking because apparently there were some issues last summer....

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 18, 2019, 04:52:42 AM »
anyone know if  Bäckerei-Konditorei Bad in St Moritz is Kosher this summer? Asking because apparently there were some issues last summer....

'issues' meaning Pizza treif was found being baked in the same oven as the 'kosher' bread was baked.
Still not kosher. 

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 24, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
is the kulm hotel a problem if you try to put three people in one room that is meant only for one person?is it to small? will they notice right away?