Topic Wiki

Before you post, here are some quick notes about the ring (Updated August 2019), that have been discussed in this forum:

- More important that anything else - AYLOR before you buy as YMMV
- There are two types of Ring Doorbells - those that are battery powered (Doorbell/Doorbell 2/View Cam), and those that are hardwired (Pro/Pro Elite)
- Disabling the Wifi works to prevent recordings, and disabling motion zones won't alert you, but most people still think that ring will still be triggered on by motion
- There are many tools with modern Wi-fi routers - Circle, Google Wi-fi, etc that enable you to cut off your rings Wi-Fi on a schedule or manually
- If you have a hard-wired Ring, you can add a switch to the circuit to completely turn it off before Shabbos
- Some people have a manual switch, others have added a programmable relay.
- Other people cover the doorbell

« Last edited by Yonah on August 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Author Topic: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos  (Read 70329 times)

Offline peroneustertius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
Hello All,
I recently got a Ring doorbell but realized today that even if I turn off the motion alerts, the device will still record motion and will turn on when someone approaches it.  The only way I can find to turn off the motion detection is by turning off all the zones for motion detection in the "motion zones" section of the app.  Does anyone know of any easier ways to turn off motion detection that would allow me to put it on a schedule rather than having to remember to turn it off every shabbos?  TIA

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
Install a smart relay that will shut the power to the doorbell?

Offline peroneustertius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:19:21 PM »
Install a smart relay that will shut the power to the doorbell?
Ok, thank you.  How do I go about doing that?  What should I buy?

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
Hello All,
I recently got a Ring doorbell but realized today that even if I turn off the motion alerts, the device will still record motion and will turn on when someone approaches it.  The only way I can find to turn off the motion detection is by turning off all the zones for motion detection in the "motion zones" section of the app.  Does anyone know of any easier ways to turn off motion detection that would allow me to put it on a schedule rather than having to remember to turn it off every shabbos?  TIA
I came to the same conclusion.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:09:30 PM »
Why not bring the discussion over here? https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=93100.0

It is "tech talk" no?

I have the same question:

Ok, thank you.  How do I go about doing that?  What should I buy?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
I have a Shabbos shunt switch for my Ring Pro and my alarm system.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:36:51 PM »
I have a Shabbos shunt switch for my Ring Pro and my alarm system.

A bit more detail please  :D What's a shunt switch?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:37:47 PM »
A bit more detail please  :D What's a shunt switch?
Basically a button that kills power to the device. Wouldn't work if you're battery powered.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
Basically a button that kills power to the device. Wouldn't work if you're battery powered.

Oh. I'm on battery  :-\

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
If you don't have recordings stored it shouldn't be an issue.

If you have recordings saved, it is Kosev. Now the question is, when you, your wife and kids walk up, it is a pesik reisha. Question is, is it nicha lei for the recordings of you and your family. It's likely that the intent in recording is for guests, intruders, strangers where you get a ring alerting you that they approach and then a recording of the incident. These thoughts may be relevant in determining if this is no worse than a motion activated light which I believe you are allowed to pass.

As always, AYLOR.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:18:15 AM »

If you have recordings saved, it is Kosev. Now the question is, when you, your wife and kids walk up, it is a pesik reisha. Question is, is it nicha lei for the recordings of you and your family. It's likely that the intent in recording is for guests, intruders, strangers where you get a ring alerting you that they approach and then a recording of the incident. These thoughts may be relevant in determining if this is no worse than a motion activated light which I believe you are allowed to pass.

As always, AYLOR.

Its Kosev?

Online tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:21:12 AM »
Its Kosev?
Its a debate among todays poskim from what I understand.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 12:52:49 AM »
no worse than a motion activated light which I believe you are allowed to pass.
Don't think that's simple.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
It still marks down the activity in the history log. Does that not matter?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »
Oh. I'm on battery  :-\

... uh... pull out one of the batteries before shabbos, and you should be good :)

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »
... uh... pull out one of the batteries before shabbos, and you should be good :)
Its kind of a hassle to do.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »
Its kind of a hassle to do.

In all honesty should I forget it since I'm on battery?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
Lol. For that price, just go into the app and disable motion sensing each Friday.

There is an option to set a schedule disabling ringing so the best solution would be if Ring enabled an option to have motion sensing turn off for set periods.

I wonder if there's an app that can be set to go into the ring app each Friday and edit the setting to shut off motion

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:41 PM »
Don't think that's simple.
Sheivet HaLevi 9:69 permits walking in an area where there is a motion sensor that will activate a light, such as those attached to the outside of buildings. He explains that davar she’eino mitkaven refers only to when one does an action that may cause an unintended melacha. If, however, one is walking normally and makes no motion in order for a melacha to occur, it is not even a psik reisha as long as one’s intent isn’t to turn on the light. Orchot Shabbat (p. 79) quotes Rav Elyashiv and Rav Nissim Karlitz who say that since one doesn’t have a direct connection to the melacha and doesn’t care about the light, it’s not called melechet machshevet. The Shabbos Home (p. 489) agrees.

Rabbi Mordechai Willig (“Halacha Engages Modernity Part 8,” min 50-60) challenges this line of reasoning because it should be considered a psik reisha d’nicha lei and turning on a light might be deoraitta. Furthermore, The 39 Melachos (p. 1215) says that if one can’t avoid walking in a place that will turn on a light because of a motion sensor and the streets are dark so that one will benefit from the light turning on, one shouldn’t leave his house! He does permit one to walk past such a motion sensor if he closes his eyes at the time when the light will turn on because in such a case then it is not considered niche lei, even if one will open one's eyes right afterwards.

On the other hand, Rabbi Hershel Schachter (“Electricity on Shabbos,” min 62-8) explains that if one is doing an action that is physically disconnected from where the melacha is occurring, it isn’t considered a psik reisha. Thus, Rav Schachter says that there’s what to rely on to permit walking in an area where there is a surveillance camera or a motion sensor which will turn on a light as long as one doesn’t have intent to be videoed or turn on the light.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »
Sheivet HaLevi 9:69 permits walking in an area where there is a motion sensor that will activate a light, such as those attached to the outside of buildings. He explains that davar she’eino mitkaven refers only to when one does an action that may cause an unintended melacha. If, however, one is walking normally and makes no motion in order for a melacha to occur, it is not even a psik reisha as long as one’s intent isn’t to turn on the light. Orchot Shabbat (p. 79) quotes Rav Elyashiv and Rav Nissim Karlitz who say that since one doesn’t have a direct connection to the melacha and doesn’t care about the light, it’s not called melechet machshevet. The Shabbos Home (p. 489) agrees.

Rabbi Mordechai Willig (“Halacha Engages Modernity Part 8,” min 50-60) challenges this line of reasoning because it should be considered a psik reisha d’nicha lei and turning on a light might be deoraitta. Furthermore, The 39 Melachos (p. 1215) says that if one can’t avoid walking in a place that will turn on a light because of a motion sensor and the streets are dark so that one will benefit from the light turning on, one shouldn’t leave his house! He does permit one to walk past such a motion sensor if he closes his eyes at the time when the light will turn on because in such a case then it is not considered niche lei, even if one will open one's eyes right afterwards.

On the other hand, Rabbi Hershel Schachter (“Electricity on Shabbos,” min 62-8) explains that if one is doing an action that is physically disconnected from where the melacha is occurring, it isn’t considered a psik reisha. Thus, Rav Schachter says that there’s what to rely on to permit walking in an area where there is a surveillance camera or a motion sensor which will turn on a light as long as one doesn’t have intent to be videoed or turn on the light.
None of that means that it's OK to have on your house l'chatchila.