Topic Wiki

Before you post, here are some quick notes about the ring (Updated August 2019), that have been discussed in this forum:

- More important that anything else - AYLOR before you buy as YMMV
- There are two types of Ring Doorbells - those that are battery powered (Doorbell/Doorbell 2/View Cam), and those that are hardwired (Pro/Pro Elite)
- Disabling the Wifi works to prevent recordings, and disabling motion zones won't alert you, but most people still think that ring will still be triggered on by motion
- There are many tools with modern Wi-fi routers - Circle, Google Wi-fi, etc that enable you to cut off your rings Wi-Fi on a schedule or manually
- If you have a hard-wired Ring, you can add a switch to the circuit to completely turn it off before Shabbos
- Some people have a manual switch, others have added a programmable relay.
- Other people cover the doorbell

« Last edited by Yonah on August 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Author Topic: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos  (Read 70312 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
I have Google WiFi routers so I thought scheduling the Doorbell for no access with Family WiFi would be the perfect hands-off scheduled solution... It does work beautifully to stop all recording automatically, however, I noticed that on the Ring 2, there are IR (night-vision) lights that still seem to go on automatically... Anyone know any way around that?
Even though lack of wi-fi prevents the camera from recording, it's likely still running.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »
Even though lack of wi-fi prevents the camera from recording, it's likely still running.
Running in what sense? I don't believe it has any recording capabilities internally, it's only cloud based. So if no WiFi it's not recording and motion has no effect (aside from the IR lights I asked about).

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
If a t
Running in what sense? I don't believe it has any recording capabilities internally, it's only cloud based. So if no WiFi it's not recording and motion has no effect (aside from the IR lights I asked about).

It's the equivalent of having a camera on with no tape or memory card. The camera turns on when someone walks by and captures their movement and image - it just has nowhere to save it - you are also effectively turning on the same switch that turns on the IR lights.

As Dan points out above, if you have the 'pro' version, there is a way to install a bypass switch for shabbos.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »
If a t
It's the equivalent of having a camera on with no tape or memory card. The camera turns on when someone walks by and captures their movement and image - it just has nowhere to save it - you are also effectively turning on the same switch that turns on the IR lights.

As Dan points out above, if you have the 'pro' version, there is a way to install a bypass switch for shabbos.

Wow - didn't think it worked that way, but even if it did work that, I don't believe that would be problematic on shabbos. With alarm sensor lights, the only problem (from my understanding) is that you are actually triggering on a light (albeit one that you don't care about or even see in many cases) But with the Ring 2 on battery (I don't have wires so can't use Pro) during the day when there is no IR - there is absolutely nothing visual or audible that is happening when it is not connected to the internet...

Based on your response, I asked my LOR if it is problematic if it does indeed record, even temporarily, without anyway to retrieve and with no audio/visual indication it is doing so... Will update with his answer...
Still need to resolve the IR issue regardless (I think... should probably just ask about that too)

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
Wow - didn't think it worked that way, but even if it did work that, I don't believe that would be problematic on shabbos. With alarm sensor lights, the only problem (from my understanding) is that you are actually triggering on a light (albeit one that you don't care about or even see in many cases) But with the Ring 2 on battery (I don't have wires so can't use Pro) during the day when there is no IR - there is absolutely nothing visual or audible that is happening when it is not connected to the internet...

Based on your response, I asked my LOR if it is problematic if it does indeed record, even temporarily, without anyway to retrieve and with no audio/visual indication it is doing so... Will update with his answer...
Still need to resolve the IR issue regardless (I think... should probably just ask about that too)

Random thought #1 - you could just pull out the battery before shabbos. It might be a hassle, but it's 30 seconds of your week.

Random thought #2 - IMHO, the two biggest problems with all of the 'connected' devices in our homes and shabbos are:
[ul]
  • We don't truly know what they are doing in the background. For example, I imagine that some recorders will record without internet, and then upload to the cloud when ready. (Based on Ring's website, I have no reason to believe that they currently do this).
  • Any feature that's disabled via Software can be re-enabled with a reset or changed with an update - if your device has a true - turn me off mode - like the nest and amazon cams do - can you really rely on it? If your power goes out for a brief period on shabbos will the camera reset and come on when the power is restored? Or, the company can tweak the software so that even though it says its not recording, it might still be secretly doing it

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:07 PM »
Random thought #1 - you could just pull out the battery before shabbos. It might be a hassle, but it's 30 seconds of your week.

Random thought #2 - IMHO, the two biggest problems with all of the 'connected' devices in our homes and shabbos are:
[ul]
  • We don't truly know what they are doing in the background. For example, I imagine that some recorders will record without internet, and then upload to the cloud when ready. (Based on Ring's website, I have no reason to believe that they currently do this).
  • Any feature that's disabled via Software can be re-enabled with a reset or changed with an update - if your device has a true - turn me off mode - like the nest and amazon cams do - can you really rely on it? If your power goes out for a brief period on shabbos will the camera reset and come on when the power is restored? Or, the company can tweak the software so that even though it says its not recording, it might still be secretly doing it

Re:
Thought 1 - Yes, of course that's an option, but its a pain in the neck and we were trying to find an automated solution.

Thought 2 - Background - I've been chatting with a Ring Support Tech about the IR lights, he confirmed that "device has no memory in and of itself" so no wifi, no recording at all.
In regards to it being re-enabled or reset, by doing the scheduled pause from the Router it wouldn't matter; if the router resets, theres no wifi, and if it resets more than that, the Ring would likely need to be re-paired altogether

Thank you for the ideas though!

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Hello All,
I recently got a Ring doorbell but realized today that even if I turn off the motion alerts, the device will still record motion and will turn on when someone approaches it.  The only way I can find to turn off the motion detection is by turning off all the zones for motion detection in the "motion zones" section of the app.  Does anyone know of any easier ways to turn off motion detection that would allow me to put it on a schedule rather than having to remember to turn it off every shabbos?  TIA
IMO the motion detection is still the best option (better than pulling out the battery and having to deal with the tiny screw every week).
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
IMO the motion detection is still the best option (better than pulling out the battery and having to deal with the tiny screw every week).

Have you checked if that also stops the IR lights from going on and off?

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »

Does it lose the settings each time you turn it off? Like the zone is set at place X, does it lose that marker each time you turn it off? If yes, I'd say that was more annoying then removing the battery
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Best option is having a physical kill switch.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »

Yes it does stop them, if it's not set to detect any motion at all there is no need for the IR.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »

As well as driving a tesla, some people - like me - just can't afford it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
As well as driving a tesla, some people - like me - just can't afford it
I'm quite surprised nobody is doing it in NYC for an affordable price.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »

Yes, if only mine wasn't on Battery power

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Yes, if only mine wasn't on Battery power
+1
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
Yup, I do it for every shabbos. The annoying thing is that I also forget to turn the motion back on until like Tuesday lol.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Yup, I do it for every shabbos. The annoying thing is that I also forget to turn the motion back on until like Tuesday lol.

Does it lose the settings each time you turn it off? Like the zone is set at place X, does it lose that marker each time you turn it off? If yes, I'd say that was more annoying then removing the battery

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
Yes, you have to remove the zone totally and reset after shabbos. I guess if you are very sensitive about your zones then it may be a bigger issue. Not for me.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid... Ring said there is a way for them to turn of the IR but it would be permanent... If I did that, together with the WiFi on scheduled off for Shabbos, I should be on autopilot (except for YT)... Just not sure I want to lose my IR - My porch is well lit, so could be I don't need it too much..

(My LOR said IF there is anything that completely behind the scenes gets triggered it wouldn't be a problem)

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »
Yes, you have to remove the zone totally and reset after shabbos. I guess if you are very sensitive about your zones then it may be a bigger issue. Not for me.

On my app - there is an on/off toggle for each part of the zone - but the zone itself stays in place, so there wouldn't be any resetting of the zones