Topic Wiki

Before you post, here are some quick notes about the ring (Updated August 2019), that have been discussed in this forum:

- More important that anything else - AYLOR before you buy as YMMV
- There are two types of Ring Doorbells - those that are battery powered (Doorbell/Doorbell 2/View Cam), and those that are hardwired (Pro/Pro Elite)
- Disabling the Wifi works to prevent recordings, and disabling motion zones won't alert you, but most people still think that ring will still be triggered on by motion
- There are many tools with modern Wi-fi routers - Circle, Google Wi-fi, etc that enable you to cut off your rings Wi-Fi on a schedule or manually
- If you have a hard-wired Ring, you can add a switch to the circuit to completely turn it off before Shabbos
- Some people have a manual switch, others have added a programmable relay.
- Other people cover the doorbell

« Last edited by Yonah on August 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Author Topic: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos  (Read 70352 times)

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
Re: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »
Did anyone post the best way to do that?
you mean here in ddf? Who would have possibly done that?!? ;D
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
you mean here in ddf? Who would have possibly done that?!? ;D
WIYF.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Geshmak25

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Did anyone post the best way to do that?

The only way I can find to turn off the motion detection is by turning off all the zones for motion detection in the "motion zones" section of the app. 
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
I can see what my electrician say about the kill switch, but for now, is it annoying to turn off the motion zones and turn them back on every Motzai Shabbos? From reading the other thread, it really seems like Nest is the better option since it has a simple off option.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2019, 10:26:12 AM »
I can see what my electrician say about the kill switch, but for now, is it annoying to turn off the motion zones and turn them back on every Motzai Shabbos? From reading the other thread, it really seems like Nest is the better option since it has a simple off option.
It's not hard, so just think about whether you would be annoyed if you had to do it...
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
It's not hard, so just think about whether you would be annoyed if you had to do it...
I mean the same way I have to turn on my Echo Plug for my crockpot and turn on my Shabbos lamps, or like others said, set their fridge lights. It's just another pre-Shabbos to-do.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »

Two thoughts for you:
- If you have any wiring aptitude, it's not difficult to buy an inexpensive <$1 switch and wire it in to your nest battery, and hide it in the same box as your chime (not every wired doorbell has it accessible though).

- While going with nest is a good solution of avoiding this problem - if you need to retain video from your doorbell camera, it will be more expensive with the nest.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
Thanks. Once I'm doing wiring, I'd have it hooked up to a smart light switch so I can set it to automatically go on and off.
I don't need to retain video because I'd be using it to see who's at the door, not as a security feature.
Also someone above said even the Nest off switch isn't perfect because something still happens even in off mode...?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
Thanks. Once I'm doing wiring, I'd have it hooked up to a smart light switch so I can set it to automatically go on and off.
I don't need to retain video because I'd be using it to see who's at the door, not as a security feature.
Also someone above said even the Nest off switch isn't perfect because something still happens even in off mode...?

Retaining video is very, very nice. Use it much more often that I thought we would.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
What’s the actual deal here? I know tons of people who have Rings and Nests (doorbells) but Dan is the only one I’ve heard of installing a Shabbos switch. Does everyone else just rely on whatever off switch it comes with?
Ask your Rabbi, Mine says its no issue at all to have it running

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2019, 02:58:55 PM »
I'm being told that you can easily schedule your router to turn off wifi for a specific device for a set period of time (such as Shabbos), and then when a doorbell isn't connected to wifi, it totally turns off - no sensors go off, etc.

Retaining video is very, very nice. Use it much more often that I thought we would.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for Ring vs. Nest.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2019, 03:09:52 PM »
I'm being told that you can easily schedule your router to turn off wifi for a specific device for a set period of time (such as Shabbos), and then when a doorbell isn't connected to wifi, it totally turns off - no sensors go off, etc.
Not true for my Ring 2. Red lights on the doorbell are still triggered with motion.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for Ring vs. Nest.

The former - turning off wi-fi for your camera - I can vouch for entirely. For google wi-fi for example, you can do this the same way you do Family Wi-Fi - make a new kid - call it 'Shabbos Yid' - and associate all of your ring devices with it. Schedule it to disable wi-fi from Friday night to Motzash.

As for the latter - i.e. what happens to the doorbell when the wifi connection is lost - I don't believe they have local storage and can hold the videos offline until the wi-fi comes back, but I can't guarantee that you aren't setting off the motion sensor or camera. I would suggest you AYLOR to see if that even makes a difference.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »
Not true for my Ring 2. Red lights on the doorbell are still triggered with motion.
I was looking at a Ring on someone's house now that was turned on - with wifi on - and did not see any lights turn on when I walked past. Just the blue circle was lit up the whole time.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
I was looking at a Ring on someone's house now that was turned on - with wifi on - and did not see any lights turn on when I walked past. Just the blue circle was lit up the whole time.
These lights turn on when its dark outside
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
I don't have motion detection on at all. I guess I could turn it on and turn it off before shabbos, but I feel like I'd always forget and not really sure I want it in the first place.
The other option I think would be to order something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995014520.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1af01f677jibtl&algo_pvid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b&algo_expid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b-12&btsid=13db5839-cbc6-4cee-8ade-f6ff98ea23be&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_52 and install it on the wire leading to the ring. Then you can set it to automatically go on and off based on shkia.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »
These lights turn on when its dark outside
Thank you. It could be I only looked during the day time, I will have to check at night. Or perhaps I wasn't looking at a Ring 2 (which I think is the version you said you have).

I don't have motion detection on at all. I guess I could turn it on and turn it off before shabbos, but I feel like I'd always forget and not really sure I want it in the first place.
The other option I think would be to order something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995014520.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1af01f677jibtl&algo_pvid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b&algo_expid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b-12&btsid=13db5839-cbc6-4cee-8ade-f6ff98ea23be&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_52 and install it on the wire leading to the ring. Then you can set it to automatically go on and off based on shkia.
I feel like motion is pretty important - that's what alerts you when someone unexpected is at your house - potentially stealing packages, etc. - I personally wouldn't be willing to part with that. The item you're showing is basically a kill switch like Dan suggested, it's another nice idea.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
I believe that even if you have it set to off, it still records motion but it doesn't notify you, no?

Offline DDFer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
I spoke with customer service and they said that a feature which you can schedule motion detection to go off is available right now only for the stick up cam, it’s called motion record control. They do not know if/when it will be rolled out for other devices. When motion detection is off the camera will not record. They said that for doorbell pro only way is to delete/deactivate motion zones and for cams to turn off motion detection manually. But again, AYLOR if it is a problem to keep motion recording on on shabbos, many are lenient for a variety of reasons.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
But again, AYLOR if it is a problem to keep motion recording on on shabbos, many are lenient for a variety of reasons.
Mine was not. YLORMV.