Topic Wiki

Before you post, here are some quick notes about the ring (Updated August 2019), that have been discussed in this forum:

- More important that anything else - AYLOR before you buy as YMMV
- There are two types of Ring Doorbells - those that are battery powered (Doorbell/Doorbell 2/View Cam), and those that are hardwired (Pro/Pro Elite)
- Disabling the Wifi works to prevent recordings, and disabling motion zones won't alert you, but most people still think that ring will still be triggered on by motion
- There are many tools with modern Wi-fi routers - Circle, Google Wi-fi, etc that enable you to cut off your rings Wi-Fi on a schedule or manually
- If you have a hard-wired Ring, you can add a switch to the circuit to completely turn it off before Shabbos
- Some people have a manual switch, others have added a programmable relay.
- Other people cover the doorbell

« Last edited by Yonah on August 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Author Topic: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos  (Read 70292 times)

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Ring doorbell for shabbos
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »
So does going into the app and shutting off the motion every week.
it has been mentioned several times upthread that it still records when motion is turned off, it just doesn't send alerts. It would seem , covering it would solve the issue of recording

Offline ttn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
Just remember the Pro needs to be wired. I originally bought the Pro and then it didnt work because my old doorbell didn't have the right voltage to power the Pro. I didnt want to deal with that so I returned and got the Ring 2 instead.
That's why I am looking to switch the pro (which I got on prime day for $68) for a ring 2. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
it has been mentioned several times upthread that it still records when motion is turned off, it just doesn't send alerts. It would seem , covering it would solve the issue of recording
I copied what I believe to me the most pertinent comments below.
If you "turn off" motion you won't get alerts but motion will still be recorded. If you shut off wifi then nothing will be recorded as per below, but red lights will still come on for Ring 2 (which I believe is the detection sequence that gozalim is referencing). If you kill the zones then motion won’t be recorded and lights don’t come on so I believe all of the issues are solved, same as if you just covered the doorbell.

Someone here showed me that while motion was turned off, he didn't get alerts but when he looked in his app history, it still wrote down all the times someone passed infront the camera while motion was off.
Yup. You need to kill the zones or shut off power to the device.
His solution was to have his router turn off the wifi to the Ring. Which solved the problem. Only remaining problem is red lights from @Geshmak25 although he (and myself) haven't seen any red lights yet.
that only stops the detected motions from being recorded long term at the server.  the detection sequence is still triggered locally, no? AYLOR if that solves it...
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
I think Geshmak has it correct. But I am not sure what killing the zones entails. After Shabbos, do you have to go back into the app and set up your zones again? Seems like something that could be annoying every week. My friend with a Ring 2 says he just covers it every Shabbos.

That's why I am looking to switch the pro (which I got on prime day for $68) for a ring 2. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Yes! Let's trade! I have the 2 and want the Pro.

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
Is there a smart timer that can act as a kill switch on a timer ?

I think you are asking is there a way to time a kill switch for one of these doorbells:
1. See the item at the link below - it's a smart switch that you can program remotely.
2. You can also (as Dan has suggested and done himself) have a regular button or switch that you simply turn off power to the unit before shabbos and turn it back on afterward.
3. These, AFAIK, only apply to the Ring Pro, which is wired - the pro is not only wired, but it also has a backup battery. To make this work, you need a switch that sits between all power supplies and the unit.
4. The regular Ring/Ring 2/ New Ring Doorcam are all battery powered.

I don't have motion detection on at all. I guess I could turn it on and turn it off before shabbos, but I feel like I'd always forget and not really sure I want it in the first place.
The other option I think would be to order something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32995014520.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1af01f677jibtl&algo_pvid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b&algo_expid=9e320396-5ba0-451b-a27c-6ae30f193d7b-12&btsid=13db5839-cbc6-4cee-8ade-f6ff98ea23be&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_52 and install it on the wire leading to the ring. Then you can set it to automatically go on and off based on shkia.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:00 AM »
After Shabbos, do you have to go back into the app and set up your zones again?
Yes

Seems like something that could be annoying every week. My friend with a Ring 2 says he just covers it every Shabbos.
Don't see why going into app is any more annoying than covering and uncovering every week.
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
Yes
Don't see why going into app is any more annoying than covering and uncovering every week.
I don't know what setting up zones entails. Taking off your tin foil takes 1 second.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
Covering the ring means you lose the natural deterrence that Ring provides.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Covering the ring means you lose the natural deterrence that Ring provides.
But on a day that typically has many people walking around and in and out of the house all day.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
I don't know what setting up zones entails. Taking off your tin foil takes 1 second.
No biggie
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2019, 10:03:29 AM »
And obviously, one needs to clarify if the app recording motion is a issue in the first place

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
No biggie
That's good. But I guess if you have the wiring, it just makes more sense to get a Pro from a shabbos perspective.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
To clarify my sequence comment :
Regardless of what external display results, the very fact that the sensor noted a motion, sets in motion a programming sequence. Without wifi it may error out at the 'recording' stage, it may not display a light, but the circuits in the program have been set in motion.'
Depending on which shita in electricity shabbos in general, this can be an issue.

(a similar issue was raised by rabbi LY Halperin a"h in response to the kosher switch (which badly resembles his 1970s invention more than anything else))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:18:10 AM by gozalim »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »
I use the Circle by Disney app to kill the wifi to my Ring every week. It is available for use with many Netgear routers - check online if yours is compatible. It's much simpler than killing the motion zones or manually shutting wifi. I just set up a Circle profile with only my ring in it, and pause it every Friday at the same time that I shut my fridge lights. If I would use the paid version of Circle, I would be able to set the ring to shut automatically on a schedule, but I don't have any use for the other features so I just use the free version and use it as a kill switch.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »
Regardless of what external display results, the very gave that the sensor noted a motion, sets on motion a programming sequence. Without wifi it may error out at the 'recording stage, it may not display a light, but the circuits in the program have been set in motion.
Depending on which shita in electricity shabbos in general, this can be an issue.

(a similar issue was raised by rabbi LY Halperin a"h in response to the kosher switch (which badly resembles his 1970s invention more than anything else)
But it would be a psik reisha d'lo nicha lei, since you get absolutely no benefit from the sequence, and it's probably a d'rabonon, so practically all poskim (that I know) would say it's not an issue. The only time there is a sheila is when you potentially derive benefit from a light or a recording.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »
I added some of the commonly repeated items/questions to the Wiki. Feel free to edit.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
But it would be a psik reisha d'lo nicha lei, since you get absolutely no benefit from the sequence, and it's probably a d'rabonon, so practically all poskim (that I know) would say it's not an issue. The only time there is a sheila is when you potentially derive benefit from a light or a recording.
Which by the same logic permit the ring to function as intended without any modification

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:46 AM »
Which by the same logic permit the ring to function as intended without any modification
Indeed, but although some may prohibit when you can potentially derive benefit from a recording, in the case when it's a mere sequence, the reasoning applies according to many more lor's.

Offline Geshmak25

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
Regardless of what external display results, the very fact that the sensor noted a motion, sets in motion a programming sequence. Without wifi it may error out at the 'recording' stage, it may not display a light, but the circuits in the program have been set in motion.'

(a similar issue was raised by rabbi LY Halperin a"h in response to the kosher switch (which badly resembles his 1970s invention more than anything else))
When you turn off the wifi the motion is not recorded but the red lights still go on, which means that there is still some local sensor that is being triggered. However, when you kill the zones the red lights don't even go on, which to me implies that the sensor did not note a motion, no programming sequence is set in motion, and it is as if you covered the doorbell.

Are you disagreeing with that?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
When you turn off the wifi the motion is not recorded but the red lights still go on, which means that there is still some local sensor that is being triggered. However, when you kill the zones the red lights don't even go on, which to me implies that the sensor did not note a motion, no programming sequence is set in motion, and it is as if you covered the doorbell.

Are you disagreeing with that?
I dont think youll find a posek that finds this problematic  There is absolutely no benefit to anyone for sensor lights to go on