Author Topic: Amazon HQ2  (Read 11084 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon HQ2
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Amazon HQ2
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
Reminds me of me walking away from a fight I had with my 4 year old nephew because I had more important things to do, and him being convinced that he won the fight..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:50:13 PM by Ephraimh »

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
Reminds me of me walking away from a fight I had with my 4 year old nephew because I had more important things to do, and he being convinced that he won the fight..

The "anything is possible" is that she was voted in. It's her own greediness that prompted this tweet.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2019, 03:58:35 PM »
Ocasio Cortez is literally a gift to Trump.

He had everything going against him until she showed up. Moderate Democrats have now surrendered to the far Left for fear of retribution.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
So why not just give them the $3 billion in incentive? How does $3 billion in incentives effect you, but $30 billion in revenue not.. thatís upside down.
The fact that NY needs to bribe amazon to come to NY is proof that NY is not very inviting for business in general. For every job that would be gained by amazon, there may very well be multiple jobs created if NY would offer the same incentives to all businesses (currently in NY or interested in moving to NY), it just doesn't come in one big swoop like amazon. It's a slap in the face to all businesses in NY to admit that it's too expensive to do business in NY, but since you don't help us brag that we brought jobs to the city we'll continue making life difficult for you but make it easy for the behemoth. If that's not called picking winners and losers I don't know what is.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
The fact that NY needs to bribe amazon to come to NY is proof that NY is not very inviting for business in general. For every job that would be gained by amazon, there may very well be multiple jobs created if NY would offer the same incentives to all businesses (currently in NY or interested in moving to NY), it just doesn't come in one big swoop like amazon. It's a slap in the face to all businesses in NY to admit that it's too expensive to do business in NY, but since you don't help us brag that we brought jobs to the city we'll continue making life difficult for you but make it easy for the behemoth. If that's not called picking winners and losers I don't know what is.
It was discussed in length earlier in the thread, but in a nutshell, when your local deli or even a cut and dry low paying non-tech behemoth, say a car manufacturing plant, receives an incentive to hire employees it more or less ends there, it doesnít necessarily lure in other car companies and it doesnít create a ĎDeli hubí.. high paying tech jobs on the other hand by nature create hubs, improve living conditions, and transform cities.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
and the yidilach are migrating from NY to NJ ....

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
It was discussed in length earlier in the thread, but in a nutshell, when your local deli or even a cut and dry low paying non-tech behemoth, say a car manufacturing plant, receives an incentive to hire employees it more or less ends there, it doesnít necessarily lure in other car companies and it doesnít create a ĎDeli hubí.. high paying tech jobs on the other hand by nature create hubs, improve living conditions, and transform cities.
Another way to get that result is to make it easier to do business. The same way NY is making it easier for Amazon to do business, if they extended that to everyone else you can get the same results or better without choosing winners and losers.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Amazon HQ2
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:52 PM »
Another way to get that result is to make it easier to do business. The same way NY is making it easier for Amazon to do business, if they extended that to everyone else you can get the same results or better without choosing winners and losers.
Agree with you on overall changing a climate to ease the means of doing business, but, as discussed up thread, NYC didnít pick Amazon here, Amazon picked NYC.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Agree with you on overall changing a climate to ease the means of doing business, but, as discussed up thread, NYC didnít pick here Amazon, Amazon picked NYC.
Many states picked Amazon, amazon used process of elimination to pick NYC

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Amazon HQ2
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
Many states picked Amazon, amazon used process of elimination to pick NYC
How come these states didnít fight over your local deli? Exactly my point

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
How come these states didnít fight over your local deli? Exactly my point
They actually do, by making a conducive business environment.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
They actually do, by making a conducive business environment.
This argument is silliness. Yes, your state should have a competitive tax environment. But lowering rates to lure in a big fish isn't bad policy any more than offering a quantity discount on your product is bad policy. Bigger clients get bigger discounts, especially when they are openly shopping around.

Is that unfair to small business? Perhaps, but that small business isn't going to bring in tens of billions of dollars in tax revenue in one fell swoop.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
This argument is silliness. Yes, your state should have a competitive tax environment. But lowering rates to lure in a big fish isn't bad policy any more than offering a quantity discount on your product is bad policy. Bigger clients get bigger discounts, especially when they are openly shopping around.

Is that unfair to small business? Perhaps, but that small business isn't going to bring in tens of billions of dollars in tax revenue in one fell swoop.
+1

This is similar to a mall giving a big discount to anchor stores to boost the rest of the property. NYC has been lagging in tech for quite some time and this was an oppotunity to catch up squandered.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
+1

This is similar to a mall giving a big discount to anchor stores to boost the rest of the property. NYC has been lagging in tech for quite some time and this was an oppotunity to catch up squandered.

Amazon is classified as tech?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.