Author Topic: Amazon HQ2  (Read 26580 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon HQ2
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
Your tax dollars? It's a rebate of a small percentage of the additional tax dollars that HQ2 would bring in. They were never yours in the first place and now DC or BNA will get them.
But that's still picking winners and losers, and government should be allowing everyone to compete fairly.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
But that's still picking winners and losers, and government should be allowing everyone to compete fairly.
Why?
Everything else in life is based on negotiations and discounting based on economies of scale. Why would you expect that governments wouldn't compete to land a massive quantity of high paying jobs?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
What does that even mean?
Covering a State budget isn’t a myth, it’s an actual dollar amount they have to cover, local governments need to be creative on ways to sustain a healthy tax base, just like a business needs a healthy customer base.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2019, 05:10:23 PM »
Why?
Everything else in life is based on negotiations and discounting based on economies of scale. Why would you expect that governments wouldn't compete to land a massive quantity of high paying jobs?
The government shouldn't be in the business of creating jobs, it should be making sure not to get in the way of those who create jobs. One way to not get in the way of those who create jobs is to not pick winners and losers because they like one industry over another or because it looks good for them when running for re-election.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »
The government shouldn't be in the business of creating jobs.
Through competing to land a big fish? Why not?
If your government won't plenty of others will.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:39 PM »
The government shouldn't be in the business of creating jobs, it should be making sure not to get in the way of those who create jobs. One way to not get in the way of those who create jobs is to not pick winners and losers because they like one industry over another or because it looks good for them when running for re-election.
One way of getting in the way of those creating jobs, is to ignore them when they offer a great deal.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
Covering a State budget isn’t a myth, it’s an actual dollar amount they have to cover, local governments need to be creative on ways to sustain a healthy tax base, just like a business needs a healthy customer base.
Of course not, but the reason the Federal Government, NYS, or NYC have trouble covering their budgets is not because they don't have enough revenue - they have plenty, they just spend way too much.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
One way of getting in the way of those creating jobs, is to ignore them when they offer a great deal.
The reason amazon needs a "good deal" to move to NY is because NY is getting in the way of anyone who would create jobs, the solution to that is to get out of everyone's way, not just the big behemoth.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
Intel, Microsoft, Apple, AMD, HP, Dell to name a bunch are tech. Amazon.. I don't see how they fit in with those. AWS yes but not Amazon as a whole.
I also thought so before I noticed that they're much bigger what the random joe thinks amazon is
BTW
dansdeals is hosted on amazons server, Tech?
["-"]

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »
The reason amazon needs a "good deal" to move to NY is because NY is getting in the way of anyone who would create jobs, the solution to that is to get out of everyone's way, not just the big behemoth.
Nonsense. Amazon was going to get a deal no matter where it wound up and no matter what that state's policies. Because they're big, because they can, and because it's a worthy investment to land 25K 6 figure jobs.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
Nonsense. Amazon was going to get a deal no matter where it wound up and no matter what that state's policies. Because they're big, because they can, and because it's a worthy investment to land 25K 6 figure jobs.
So you're saying that if NY cut taxes for everyone the way they did for the Amazon deal, then Amazon wouldn't have opened HQ2 in NY without a special deal?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
So you're saying that if NY cut taxes for everyone the way they did for the Amazon deal, then Amazon wouldn't have opened HQ2 in NY without a special deal?
Mi she'yesh lo manah, rotzeh masayim.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
In NYC מי שיש לו מנה בא אחד ונוטל ממנו
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Online zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
In NYC מי שיש לו מנה בא אחד ונוטל ממנו

Mayim Gnuvim yimtaku

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
So why not just give them the $3 billion in incentive? How does $3 billion in incentives effect you, but $30 billion in revenue not.. that’s upside down.
I have no problem with the incentives. I have a problem of who gets to control the extra revenue generated. Existing NYC residents would definitely face an increased cost of living (and burden on infrastructure) with benefits of the added revenue not being felt (or possibly felt in a negative way- advancing a certain agenda).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
Of course they would try, but if NY would put their foot down and say no special deals for anyone period, while lowering taxes to the point that they did for amazon, amazon would definitely have taken the deal. Clearly what was offered was at least enough to make them want to open in NY.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
-- Dan

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-14/long-island-city-brokers-despair-over-amazon-s-abrupt-reversal?srnd=premium

Poor real estate brokers.

These paragraphs sum up the sad reality perfectly:

“Without the boost from Amazon that could have transformed Long Island City into a 24/7 district, Benaim said he thinks it’ll remain just a place for Manhattan commuters to sleep.

“It’s still going to be a bedroom community, and I feel bad for all the local restaurants, all the local mom-and-pop shops who were counting on this,” he said. “They needed this.”

“We literally just threw the baby out with the bath water, Haber said. “You want the Rockefellers, the Carnegies, the Bezos coming to our shores and that economic growth that comes with them. We’re not setting up New York for success in the 21st Century. What happened today is a real tragedy.”

These politicians should be sued for malpractice.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
These paragraphs sum up the sad reality perfectly:

“Without the boost from Amazon that could have transformed Long Island City into a 24/7 district, Benaim said he thinks it’ll remain just a place for Manhattan commuters to sleep.

“It’s still going to be a bedroom community, and I feel bad for all the local restaurants, all the local mom-and-pop shops who were counting on this,” he said. “They needed this.”

“We literally just threw the baby out with the bath water, Haber said. “You want the Rockefellers, the Carnegies, the Bezos coming to our shores and that economic growth that comes with them. We’re not setting up New York for success in the 21st Century. What happened today is a real tragedy.”

These politicians should be sued for malpractice.
It's not like LIC is a half hour drive from Manhattan (there was actually a time I used to drive to LIC, park there and take the Subway one stop over into Manhattan, rather than spend 45 minutes in a crowded subway). Nothing wrong with it being a bedroom community. It's the same city. I wouldn't want Times Square in my backyard.

If the Amazon move would come with a MAJOR infrastructure upgrade (for example: Subway upgrade, including safe stations where the railway is closed off until the train stops) then it would be something to bemoan. But as long as it's only the additional high paying jobs and tax revenue, without a specific infrastructure or other benefit tied to it, there's nothing to be upset over.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:03:09 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
Amazon HQ2
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
It's not like LIC is a half hour drive from Manhattan (there was actually a time I used to drive to LIC, park there and take the Subway one stop over into Manhattan, rather than spend 45 minutes in a crowded subway). Nothing wrong with it being a bedroom community. It's the same city. I wouldn't want Times Square in my backyard.
Why is your personal parking needs more important than the hundreds of local struggling mom and pop shops? And how is your personal backyard preferences more important than our city and state budgets?