Author Topic: El al flight arriving close to Shabbos - again  (Read 78510 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: El al flight arriving close to Shabbos - again
« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
https://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/387065

Couldn't find English source yet.

Rabbinical Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos calls on passengers not to fly from North America on Thursdays, and calls on ELAL to cancel any flight that might land close to Shabbos.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Rabbinical Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos calls on passengers not to fly from North America on Thursdays,
I appreciate when you link an English source.
I guess I look at these things in a simplified way but this was a no-brainer for me.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Anyone have his contact info?
@Dan PM sent
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
I guess I look at these things in a simplified way but this was a no-brainer for me.
until its relevant to you
["-"]

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
until its relevant to you
...even then but that is for another thread.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
https://www.inn.co.il/News/News.aspx/387065

Couldn't find English source yet.

Rabbinical Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos calls on passengers not to fly from North America on Thursdays, and calls on ELAL to cancel any flight that might land close to Shabbos.
Many here were saying the same thing. Although we are not members of the Rabbinical Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos, maybe just "DDF Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos"

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Many here were saying the same thing. Although we are not members of the Rabbinical Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos, maybe just "DDF Committee for the Holiness of Shabbos"
We have the @Chief Rabbi of New York on DDF, but I'm not sure if he agrees..

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
Letter from the CEO

11 Kislev 5779
19 November 2018

The public storm and the range of emotions that followed the events of flight 002 from New York to Israel
last Friday brought me to write the following:

We found ourselves not in the best interest of the public as the polarizing discourse and the exchange of accusations between us, and amongst the public themselves. This is contrary to our principles and values as citizens of the state and as the national airline carrying the flag of Israel on the tail of our fleet of aircraft.

The bottom line is that we regret this.

We accept with understanding all criticism even when it is unpleasant. We do everything to learn from the criticism, to improve and to be worthy of our customers' trust.

EL AL is the melting pot of Israeli society and the Jewish world. On its flights, all passengers, no matter their background on religious affiliation, with differences of opinions, different world views and a different way of life, take part.

During all stages of flight 002 from New York, senior company officials worked together to find a solution that would bring all passengers to safety as quickly as possible, and to avoid operating a flight on Shabbat. Other flights that were scheduled by foreign airlines to fly to Israel around the same schedule as EL AL, were canceled due to the weather. We could have canceled the EL AL flights, as other companies did, but we chose to make every effort to operate our flights, for the welfare and well-being of our passengers and to bring them back to Israel as soon as possible; there was no other consideration that guided us.

The decision-making process was complex. The event took place in a developing and dynamic reality that was not entirely controlled by the company (for example, after its departure, the plane was diverted to a western route instead of eastward which incurred an additional delay during the flight).Our goal, during the entire time, was one: to find the solution that balances the feelings of the various passengers. EL AL was searching for the unifying factor throughout this entire ordeal. This was the way we made our decisions regarding this flight.

Since the passengers and the crew of the flight have communicated dozens of claims and testimonies regarding the flight whereby, some of the testimonies emphasized the commotion on the flight, while others claimed that the information provided by EL AL to the passengers was incomplete. We have never accused any specific sector of passengers with events that took place on the flight, EL AL does not point out its customers' affiliation to any sector, gender, nationality or religious affiliation.

In order to learn lessons and, most importantly, to avoid such incidents to be repeated, I have decided to establish a committee to investigate all the events that took place related to flight 002, examining all the testimonies and claims. The committee will submit its conclusions and recommendations as soon as possible and I will then make decisions based on the findings.

Gonen Usishkin
CEO
EL AL Israel Airlines

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
Letter from the CEO
Again a bunch of lies:

"We could have canceled the EL AL flights, as other companies did, but we chose to make every effort to operate our flights, for the welfare and well-being of our passengers and to bring them back to Israel as soon as possible; there was no other consideration that guided us"

"We have never accused any specific sector of passengers with events that took place on the flight, EL AL does not point out its customers' affiliation to any sector, gender, nationality or religious affiliation"

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
Also unless I am misreading, he is comparing his flight favorably to other airlines that were cancelled as if they did everyone a favor. Totally not acknowledging that to plenty of passengers, cancellation was preferable

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »
Also unless I am misreading, he is comparing his flight favorably to other airlines that were cancelled as if they did everyone a favor. Totally not acknowledging that to plenty of passengers, cancellation was preferable

That's classic Israeli customer service attitude: We always provide you with a better alternative than the other guys. You should thank us for allowing you to do business with us.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:33 PM »
Yup:
https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-deals/israel-flights/lawsuit-filed-el-al-ceo-admits-no-physical-violence-flight-002/#comment-1384867
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »
dynamic reality that was not entirely controlled by the company (for example, after its departure, the plane was diverted to a western route instead of eastward which incurred an additional delay during the flight).

What does that mean? How can you go on a Western route while traveling to Israel?

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
dynamic reality that was not entirely controlled by the company (for example, after its departure, the plane was diverted to a western route instead of eastward which incurred an additional delay during the flight).

What does that mean? How can you go on a Western route while traveling to Israel?
Maybe southern
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY2/history/20181115/2340Z/KJFK/LGAV
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY2/history/20181114/2340Z/KJFK/LLBG
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ELY2/history/20181112/2340Z/KJFK/LLBG

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »

Maybe was told to take some turn right after takeoff or later on due to weather.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ly2#1e91c965
-- Dan

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
I think the letter is a positive development. Don't forget this is the guy that stated that ELAL would throw people off their flights for asking other people to change seats with them.

The fact that instead of making stupid empty threats or blaming people for violence he is now explaining/apologizing, means that the public outcry and push back against ELAL has been heard by the people that matter and they are finally worried that there may be consequences if they keep insulting and laying about their costumer base.

We can only hope this is a change of attitude in managements approach that will trickle down to the common workers and that everyone will handle the situation a lot better next time something like this happens.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YossieW

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 516
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-deals/israel-flights/looking-positive-side-el-al-flight-002-fiasco-inspirational-shabbos-thanks-chabad-athens/

hopefully the mikvah is fully funded and El Al chips in

Thanks @Dan for keeping on top of this and showing the good sides as well as giving a link so people can give back and show appreciation

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/11/22/el-al-accused-of-kidnapping-by-group-of-religious-travelers-following-five-hour-delay-at-new-york-jfk/#disqus_thread
Not a very nice 'outsiders' perspective on the story. I replied back to John from Loyaltylobby that I'm appalled at the wording used in this article...
Chaya L.