Author Topic: Credit Card Protection: Stolen gift cards  (Read 898 times)

Offline Mtl18

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Credit Card Protection: Stolen gift cards
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »
Someone hacked my Walmart account, changed the email address and proceeded to spend $300 of gift cards (combination of online spend and in-store in IDAHO). The customer service rep at Walmart told me not to expect to get reimbursed, though she filed report. I bought $200 with Freedom and $100 with Reserve. Any chance credit card companies will help out? What should be my next steps? Or waste of time?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Credit Card Protection: Stolen gift cards
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 11:32:19 PM »
CCs aren't responsible.

WM should be able to help.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:53:24 PM »
Someone hacked my Walmart account, changed the email address and proceeded to spend $300 of gift cards (combination of online spend and in-store in IDAHO). The customer service rep at Walmart told me not to expect to get reimbursed, though she filed report. I bought $200 with Freedom and $100 with Reserve. Any chance credit card companies will help out? What should be my next steps? Or waste of time?

Take Walmart to small claims court. They are responsible for keeping your online account safe. They should have emailed you when the email on the account was changed.

I would also get a police report filed with your local police department

Offline Mtl18

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
Take Walmart to small claims court. They are responsible for keeping your online account safe. They should have emailed you when the email on the account was changed.

I would also get a police report filed with your local police department

They did email me but I am not good about sifting through my emails. I've given up on getting it back. I am trying to close my account (told them they lost me as a customer). But I had another concern and am looking for the right forum to launch a complaint. I've found going through Walmart directly to be impossible.

When you pay for an item using a gift card, walmart automatically stores the gift card in your account without asking you if you want to. This means your account could get compromised, and your gift card stolen, even though you never stored the card on their website. If they are doing this, seems they should also be liable for any fraudulent activity.