Topic Wiki

Opening a card typically entails a credit check, also known as a hard pull, which can lower your score by a couple points. To mitigate the effects of opening a card for a signup bonus, apply for cards via the “2bm/3bm method”. This means using 2 or 3 web browsers -like IE, Chrome, and Firefox- to apply for 2 or 3 different cards from the same bank, as close to each other as possible. Fill out the application form on all 3 browsers and then hit submit on all of them within a few seconds. This way you can get 2 or 3 cards with just 1 credit pull. There’s no guarantee you’ll get accepted to all 3, but this increases the odds of getting multiple cards. Applying for 2/3/4 cards in the same day will also usually cause only 1 pull, though the likelihood of getting instant approval for all cards is lowered.

An “AOR” or app-o-rama is the process of using multiple 2/3bms from multiple banks as quickly as possible, in order to get approved for more cards from more banks while reducing the likelihood that each bank sees the other pulls, which can negatively impact approval chances.

Dan's posts on 2/3/4BM can be seen here, and here.

FAQ:
Q: If I apply for business and consumer cards in the same 3bm will it still only cause one pull? What about mixing credit and charge cards?

A: If you're doing a 3bm with Chase, mixing business and consumer cards will usually cause 2 pulls, but there have been recent reports of only getting one. Though with AMEX, one can mix them together with no worry. In regards to mixing credit and charge cards, it does NOT make a difference, and your credit will only be pulled once.

Q: CV:Is it still possible to get approved for 3 Chase cards within 30 days?

A: Yes, it is still possible, even if your experience says otherwise.
« Last edited by HDS on February 05, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

Author Topic: 2/3/4BM Master Thread  (Read 403281 times)

Offline ice man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: 2/3/4BM Master Thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 10, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »
Just helped a friend with a 2BM with Chase. CSP and UMPE.. Got instant approval on both

Online chff

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #2176 on: October 10, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
Citi Bofa 2BM works?

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 10, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Citi Bofa 2BM works?
Someone CMIIW, but I recall reading it has to be from the same bank.

Online ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 10, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
Someone CMIIW, but I recall reading it has to be from the same bank.
Your correct.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 10, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
I did a Chase personal 3BM (SP, Freedom & BA) and an AMEX personal 3BM (SPG, PRG & Delta Gold) on April 12, 2013 and was approved for all 6 cards (after several HUCAs).   These were my first 3BMs.

After waiting 90+ days, on July 17, 2013 I did a Chase business (sole proprietorship) 3BM (IB, IP & UMPE) and an AMEX Business (sole proprietorship) 2BM (BRG & SPG Business).  Although I was instantly approved for both AMEX business cards, I was only approved for the IB from Chase (with a $10K limit).  Chase Recon would not approve me for the IP or UMPE despite numerous HUCAs (and the charge vs. credit, primary CDW, etc. shpiel).  They basically said the business was too new (a start-up consulting business), the $10k under the IB was enough for me and that they wanted to see how I did with the IB first.  Over the course of numerous HUCAs, the recon reps also said that I had already had 4 Chase cards opened within the year (the 3 personal in April plus the IB) and they would not approve me for any more cards.  They also said that I had too many applications for credit recently (all I had were the 2 pulls in April and the 2 pulls in July) which they said was a risk indication to them.

When would it be safe to do another Chase 2 or 3BM (I would like to get an IP as well as a UMPE (either personal or business))?  Can I do it later this month (which would be 90+ days) or do I need to wait until the beginning of 2014?  BTW, I have a 780 (FACO) credit rating and excellent credit history (18 yrs oldest; 9+ yrs avg).  Thanks in advance.

Recon lasts for 30 days before they would pull a new CR if you reapplied. So you might as well try to spend money on the IB now and pay it off, and then try recon again closer to 30 days. Maybe they'd trust you then. And of course try moving some of that 10K CL to a new card.

Online Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 11, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »
Recon lasts for 30 days before they would pull a new CR if you reapplied. So you might as well try to spend money on the IB now and pay it off, and then try recon again closer to 30 days. Maybe they'd trust you then. And of course try moving some of that 10K CL to a new card.
+1
And keep us posted, sayhey, good job so far...
I'd wait at least 6 months - from date of last app - for new apps with Chase and Amex, go for other companies instead (BofA, Barclay, Citi) = opinion

Online chff

• View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I did a 2BM with Chase and amex, and was told by both that it came in as a duplicate application

Online Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 11, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »
I did a 2BM with Chase and amex, and was told by both that it came in as a duplicate application
Happened to me too, if Amex declines your first app then second might be considered duplicate. Call recon on the first card, if they accept you, then your second app should be good too. YMMV if they do another pull a few days later...

Online chff

• View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 11, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
Happened to me too, if Amex declines your first app then second might be considered duplicate. Call recon on the first card, if they accept you, then your second app should be good too. YMMV if they do another pull a few days later...

Had to call on the first to verify address. Then called regarding the second and was told thats its a duplicate, and cant do anything, and need to wait 5 days

Offline sayhey

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 11, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »
+1
And keep us posted, sayhey, good job so far...
I'd wait at least 6 months - from date of last app - for new apps with Chase and Amex, go for other companies instead (BofA, Barclay, Citi) = opinion

Does it matter whether it's a personal or business app? My last personal apps were in April so the 6 months would expire this month, but my last business apps were in July so I would need to wait longer.  Please advise. 

Also, from what I have seen on this and other threads, a wait of 90 days is typically long enough - is there any specific reason or magic behind the suggesed 6 month timeframe or is it just to cool off extra since it is the first year I have done multiple apps?

Online Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 12, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »
Had to call on the first to verify address. Then called regarding the second and was told thats its a duplicate, and cant do anything, and need to wait 5 days
By me Amex pulled ex. for 2nd app around 5 (business) days later they pulled TU. Good news is TU score usually higher IME, but can't go anything at this point...
I think this may be just for noobies to Amex. Hope it's not a new policy across the board.

Online Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 12, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
Does it matter whether it's a personal or business app? My last personal apps were in April so the 6 months would expire this month, but my last business apps were in July so I would need to wait longer.  Please advise. 

Also, from what I have seen on this and other threads, a wait of 90 days is typically long enough - is there any specific reason or magic behind the suggesed 6 month timeframe or is it just to cool off extra since it is the first year I have done multiple apps?
Since it's all YMMV there is no "rule" about 3 or 6 months working. I can tell you for a fact that after 2 years pulls totally drop off, Also, as Chase told you there is significance in 1 year. Apparently 3 months worked by Amex, but not Chase is your last AOR. Do you have more history with Amex than Chase?

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 14, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
I did a 3bm and heres what happened:

BA Visa- under review
UMP- Under review
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card- approved

Should i wait for the other two or call now?

TIA

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2188 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:52 AM »
I did a 3bm and heres what happened:

BA Visa- under review
UMP- Under review
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card- approved

Should i wait for the other two or call now?

TIA
Call today to minimize pulls.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 14, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
Call today to minimize pulls.

Got BA Visa approved!

Should i call again for the other one today?