Topic Wiki

Opening a card typically entails a credit check, also known as a hard pull, which can lower your score by a couple points. To mitigate the effects of opening a card for a signup bonus, apply for cards via the “2bm/3bm method”. This means using 2 or 3 web browsers -like IE, Chrome, and Firefox- to apply for 2 or 3 different cards from the same bank, as close to each other as possible. Fill out the application form on all 3 browsers and then hit submit on all of them within a few seconds. This way you can get 2 or 3 cards with just 1 credit pull. There’s no guarantee you’ll get accepted to all 3, but this increases the odds of getting multiple cards. Applying for 2/3/4 cards in the same day will also usually cause only 1 pull, though the likelihood of getting instant approval for all cards is lowered.

An “AOR” or app-o-rama is the process of using multiple 2/3bms from multiple banks as quickly as possible, in order to get approved for more cards from more banks while reducing the likelihood that each bank sees the other pulls, which can negatively impact approval chances.

Dan's posts on 2/3/4BM can be seen here, and here.

FAQ:
Q: If I apply for business and consumer cards in the same 3bm will it still only cause one pull? What about mixing credit and charge cards?

A: If you're doing a 3bm with Chase, mixing business and consumer cards will usually cause 2 pulls, but there have been recent reports of only getting one. Though with AMEX, one can mix them together with no worry. In regards to mixing credit and charge cards, it does NOT make a difference, and your credit will only be pulled once.

Q: CV:Is it still possible to get approved for 3 Chase cards within 30 days?

A: Yes, it is still possible, even if your experience says otherwise.
« Last edited by HDS on February 05, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

Author Topic: 2/3/4BM Master Thread  (Read 403287 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: 2/3/4BM Master Thread
« Reply #2190 on: October 14, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »
Call today to minimize pulls.

Minimize pulls? When they recon, they don't pull again...

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2191 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
Minimize pulls? When they recon, they don't pull again...
Chase same day not usually.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
Chase same day not usually.

So I already got approved for one though recon.

Do i call again for the other?

What can i say this time?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2193 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
So I already got approved for one though recon.

Do i call again for the other?

What can i say this time?
Call again and explain why you need the 3rd, the benefits, track other expenses etc.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 14, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
So... I went for a 4bm at the end of September and after recon I got SW biz approved, but nothing else b/c I had done a 2bm just a few weeks before (so I had too many recent cards) and have only been a Chase customer since July (my first card). Today, I called recon to try for the Hyatt that was rejected in the 4bm and after showing how I've used my new cards and been able to pay them (PAY CARDS RIGHT AWAY - I haven't even gotten my first statement on 3 cards, but it showed I can pay my debt!) the rep agreed to shift credit and open the Hyatt! B"h!

Interesting to note: Although cards have a minimum CL to open the card with ($5000 for many Chase cards), they are willing to lower already-open cards below the $5000 req they began with - and again they did this even though my cards are less than a month old.

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Call again and explain why you need the 3rd, the benefits, track other expenses etc.

no go. They would not approve me for the UPE card  :(

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 14, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
So... I went for a 4bm at the end of September and after recon I got SW biz approved, but nothing else b/c I had done a 2bm just a few weeks before (so I had too many recent cards) and have only been a Chase customer since July (my first card). Today, I called recon to try for the Hyatt that was rejected in the 4bm and after showing how I've used my new cards and been able to pay them (PAY CARDS RIGHT AWAY - I haven't even gotten my first statement on 3 cards, but it showed I can pay my debt!) the rep agreed to shift credit and open the Hyatt! B"h!

Interesting to note: Although cards have a minimum CL to open the card with ($5000 for many Chase cards), they are willing to lower already-open cards below the $5000 req they began with - and again they did this even though my cards are less than a month old.
You can lose some benefits if they drop it below the 5K as told by a rep and a sup.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 14, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
Oh, interesting. Thanks!

I lowered BA and SW biz, neither of which have much use for me. (I still have SW personal and I haven't found much use for BA yet.)

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
3BM for Amex resulting in 2 credit pulls
« Reply #2198 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
Last month, I did a 3BM, applying for 3 Amex cards - SPG business, personal, and Gold.

I got approved for SPG business and Gold and denied for the SPG personal.

When I checked my credit report, I saw that there were 2 pulls down by Amex for this. Any idea why this happened and how I can prevent it?  I clicked on all the applications at the same time.  And I didn't have this issue the last few days I did a 3BM so I don't know what happened here.

Any ideas?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: 3BM for Amex resulting in 2 credit pulls
« Reply #2199 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:44 PM »
Last month, I did a 3BM, applying for 3 Amex cards - SPG business, personal, and Gold.

I got approved for SPG business and Gold and denied for the SPG personal.

When I checked my credit report, I saw that there were 2 pulls down by Amex for this. Any idea why this happened and how I can prevent it?  I clicked on all the applications at the same time.  And I didn't have this issue the last few days I did a 3BM so I don't know what happened here.

Any ideas?
Its always YMMV especially when doing biz. and pers.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
Its always YMMV especially when doing biz. and pers.

Teaching pretty quickly I see ;)

Offline Shmulyg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:14 AM »

Slow it down boy! Seriously.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
He got some warnings already..... I think for now we can say already MITEV SHEYIYEH SHOGEG VEAL YIYEH MEYZID :)

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
LOL you guys are awesome. I know slowing it down is smart/necessary. Just once I got the pull on those cards, I don't want to waste any apps.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 15, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
LOL you guys are awesome. I know slowing it down is smart/necessary. Just once I got the pull on those cards, I don't want to waste any apps.
You forgot to add "and getting shut down for opening 8 cards in the first year of credit...."  ;)