Author Topic: Rental car got impounded  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Says who

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Rental car got impounded
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
Hi all,
I have a mini lease from budget, I got pulled over last week by a cop, just to find out that my license is suspended, they impounded the car, but I can't get the car out. I tried talking to budget, but it doesn't seem like they are in any rush to take it out. Any help?

Offline yg1836

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Rental car got impounded
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
perhaps add a user to the contract and then have him go pick up the rental car from the impound lot, dont forget to negotiate with them

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Hi all,
I have a mini lease from budget, I got pulled over last week by a cop, just to find out that my license is suspended, they impounded the car, but I can't get the car out. I tried talking to budget, but it doesn't seem like they are in any rush to take it out. Any help?
It's not clear why they won't release it, because you don't own the car or because you have a suspended license?
As an aside, how does one "just find out" their license is suspended when pulled over, seems like a pretty serious thing to not know about? Where is this so the rest of us can stay away, or at least make sure we drive the speed limit when we are there!

Offline Says who

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:41:30 PM »
perhaps add a user to the contract and then have him go pick up the rental car from the impound lot, dont forget to negotiate with them
I fixed my license while talking to the police, but ones they impounded it they weren't release it only to budget.

Offline Says who

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
It's not clear why they won't release it, because you don't own the car or because you have a suspended license?
As an aside, how does one "just find out" their license is suspended when pulled over, seems like a pretty serious thing to not know about? Where is this so the rest of us can stay away, or at least make sure we drive the speed limit when we are there!
1) because I don't own the vehicle.
2) my lower was not on top of a ticket he was supposed to take care, and i thought its been takin care off

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 06:56:42 PM »
If you have a rental contract that you can show the impound lot, why wouldn't they release it to you?
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »
If you have a rental contract that you can show the impound lot, why wouldn't they release it to you?

b/c they want to make more $ by letting it sit longer

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
i got a rental towed in nyc and they let me get the contract from the vehicle, and then released it to me. this was a city pound.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 02:30:19 AM »
our rental was towed in Philadelphia and we had Alamo send them a copy of the contract and they released it...

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
1) because I don't own the vehicle.
2) my lower was not on top of a ticket he was supposed to take care, and i thought its been takin care off
This sounds like it was done under a public agency guise, i.e. the police department had the car towed because it was blocking traffic and you couldn't drive it without a valid license? If so, then contact the police department and try to work through it with them, insisting on a supervisor and so on if you don't get anywhere. The towing agency works for them and answers to them. Another potential avenue if they (the towing agency) are just being jerks is to serve them in small claims court, the service itself usually is enough to stop them from messing with you and is very cheap and easy to do.